Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a RAV4 2014 Limited Edition.

7600 kilometres on the odometer.

I have noticed that my brakes will make a squeaking noise when I back out of my driveway in the morning when the RAV4 as been idle for the night. The squeaking only happens when I am backing out the driveway, please note that I do not apply the handbrake.
What I also noticed is that for the first 2km the brakes will make a grinding noise, after 2km the noise stops, meanwhile the brakes work perfectly.

I noticed that the squeaking and noise is louder when it’s a damp/humid/rainy days.

Should I have my brakes cleaned, it seems 7600 kilometres is not much to have problems with the brakes.

Anybody else having this issue?

·
Registered
69 Posts
common with metallic brake brake pads, although on my rav4 it is more noticeable than other vehicles i have owned with metallic pads

due to living in north central pa the use of salt and salt brine from fracking wells on the roadways i have to hose down the rav4 as much as possible, and the next time i dive it the brakes sound like a grist mill for the first mile or so

plus i just got hearing aids, now the rav4 is the noisiest vehicle i have ever owned, LOL

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ceramic pads are used on the Rav4.4 and its the surface rust that builds up on the rotors over night and is worse in damp weather. The rust grinds off after the first several stops and this why the sound clears shortly after driving. There is really nothing that can be done to stop this and no problems will result from it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've noticed that my RAV does that after being washed. The noise stops after the brakes are applied a couple of times. I owned another vehicle previously that did the same thing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you

Thank you gentlemen with the advice that you gave me about the brake noise.

Yes ragman, the RAV4 is noisy compared to the Altima that I owned, but it's okay I love the space and makes transporting large boxes easily.

Not much snow yet here in Canada so I have not tested the all wheel drive.

rnash62, yes that is exactly what happens to me. After a few kilometers or miles the noise stops, thank you confirming the same issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It all the brakes.

I went the dealership and apparently the issue happens a lot in high humid and cold areas. They said that the brakes are cold and they tend to expand, then they claim that the brakes will go back to normal.
I have confirmed this, I do notice when there is high humidity, the noise is louder and when driving for a kilometre the sound is gone.
I am guessing, but I think it's the high humidity and cold weather, I will check when it gets warmer (March or April) if the same issue is occurring.
The noise was not happening in the summer months.
I will update.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I find the RAV4 rotors rust way too easily. Never had a car in which the rotors would rust as much as these do. In the morning it sounds like sand between the pads and rotors.

On my 5 speed 2007 Outback I made it till 117000kms before replacinf the pads. I doubt the RAV4 will get that many.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am having the same issue occur with my 2015 RAV4 Limited. It only occurs when backing out of the driveway in the morning when lightly applying the brakes and the disappears.

Only had 4,500 miles on it when we noticed the noise almost 2 months ago. Is there any solution to this? Is it definitely rust accumulating on the rotors, or would applying additional grease on the caliper bracket/pads help eliminate the noise?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello I have a RAV4 2014 Limited Edition.

7600 kilometres on the odometer.

I have noticed that my brakes will make a squeaking noise when I back out of my driveway in the morning when the RAV4 as been idle for the night. The squeaking only happens when I am backing out the driveway, please note that I do not apply the handbrake.
What I also noticed is that for the first 2km the brakes will make a grinding noise, after 2km the noise stops, meanwhile the brakes work perfectly.

I noticed that the squeaking and noise is louder when it’s a damp/humid/rainy days.

Should I have my brakes cleaned, it seems 7600 kilometres is not much to have problems with the brakes.

Anybody else having this issue?
I have the exact same issue on a 2015 RAV4 LE AWD Upgrade Px w/2000km. It's 2 months old now and I started noticing it a month ago when I first back out of the driveway. The squeaking persists for the first bit of driving then seems to go away. I can only attribute it to surface oxidation building up on the rotors overnight and then getting scraped off with use of the brakes. Thanks for posting, I can see that this is a common occurrence with the RAV4 4.4.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I actually just talked to a work colleague of mine who also owns a 2015 RAV4 and she described the same issue occuring with her vehicle.I guess we're all in good (or bad) company at least!

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
My brakes do the same thing for the first couple miles. No difference in stopping power or response, so I don't care. It's typical for brakes to do that in cold, damp weather.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yup; same thing. When we had our east coast blizzard, it was parked for a week, probably with road salt/moisture buildup in the brakes. Took a couple miles of driving to get ride of the grinding (asssume rust/salt) to clear out. Did a couple hard 'backups' in empty parking lot to try to clear any junk from between the pads and rotors. Also squeak in reverse for first couple brake apps. esp. in wet weather.
Back to 'normal'.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After having 2 toyota veicles for 13 years they all need their brake pins lubricated every year or two. It depends on how you wash the wheels. They get realy loud and squeak when you stop if you don't do it. With my Tacoma it took 20k for the first squeaks to start. My corolla lasted 25k.

Try not to wash the caliper area and it lasts longer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have a 2011 Toyota Corolla that has been through the winters here in Rochester, NY without an issue (still does not have a problem).

I never expected a new car to do this especially after only 4 months old as it was bought in May and problem started around september (my old car was 99 accord -- never did this during 15 years of winter).

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a similar issue with my brakes. Makes a grinding noise for the first few stops (right before the car actually comes to a stop). This happens every time the car sits for a little while and the brakes cool down. So when i start to hear that noise i bring my car to the car wash and spray both sides of the brakes down. This makes the noise go away for about a week. If we get a good rain that also works for a week. Then when the noise starts again, rinse and repeat.
I brought the car to the dealer twice to check the brakes. They pulled all the wheels and showed me the brakes. They said nothing wrong with your brakes. Pads and rotors are fine. Currently have 31k miles and the noise started about 28k miles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts