Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a loud squeaking sound coming from the front of the engine on a 2010 RAV4 with 120K miles. I thought it was the alternator but now that I have it off (2 days work) it spins freely by hand. Idler pulleys spin free also. Do not want to spend a lot on parts I do not need. Has anyone else had this problem and what was the defective part. Any assistance appreciated.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
If it took 2 days to remove it must be the V6! What about the belt tensioner, A/C compressor or the water pump?

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
If it isn't obviously a loose belt usually identified by squeaking only after starting the engine, my quick test is to spray water on the belt. It can be just a glazed belt that water will quiet for maybe 30 seconds and a new one will fix.
In this case it's a little too late for my water test so I'd suggest replacing the belt after checking JuneBug's items.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can only turn water pump slightly by hand because of no room but it turns freely. AC turns easy also. how hard is it to remove the water pump? It looks to be very difficult. Are any special tools needed?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts