Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a squeak coming from the rear of my car that is driving me crazy. When I first got this car I didn't hear it but over time it has grown louder to the point it is frustrating me and now I don't enjoy driving my Rav. I don't know if any other 2011's are doing this but I hope someone can give me suggestions as to what might be going on and what I can do to stop the squeaking.
Thanks to all who can help.
Rav4sheila

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
There is a squeak coming from the rear of my car that is driving me crazy. When I first got this car I didn't hear it but over time it has grown louder to the point it is frustrating me and now I don't enjoy driving my Rav. I don't know if any other 2011's are doing this but I hope someone can give me suggestions as to what might be going on and what I can do to stop the squeaking.
Thanks to all who can help.
Rav4sheila
A few members have said they found their rear door latch to be either dry or loose. You could start with that. Another thing you might try is to remove everything you may have stored back there, if anything and see what happens. If no luck, then you'll have to start checking underneath for possible suspension issues.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Take as much stuff out of the RAV as possible inckluding tools, spare tire, jack, things in the hidden cargo floor compartment,etc... and proceed by elimination.
Hopefully it is something inside the RAV and nothing mechanical.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You need a partner to find this.

Our new RAV had a rattling sound coming from the rear of the car that was more obvious when we drove over bumps. So my wife and I decided to work together to find the source of the sound. My wife drove the car while I was huddled behind the back seat against the hatch. I had tools and I was taking stuff apart, listening to the rattling sound while she drove down a rough road.

When I took the panels off the back hatch, I realized the sound was coming from OUTSIDE the vehicle. It turned out it was the cheap license plate frame that the dealer had provided. It was rattling against the car. I removed it and the sound was gone. It seemed so stupid that we hadn't figured it out sooner, but at least we were able to solve it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much everyone for your suggestions. Tried it all and now my Rav4 is quieter. Who would have thought that a piece of electrical tape could shout something up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
100% that D latch!

I was convinced it was the rubber gasket. I duckt taped the bejesus out of the back door to make it so that the rubber was not in direct contact with the painted metal part of the door and that squeak was still there!!

Removed the D latch and cleaned it thouroughly and silicone greased the latch system.

Quieter than my ex-wifes boyfriend when I pick up my kids.

Craig

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had a similar noise coming from the rear door when going over bumps. I noticed when I closed the rear door , I could still push it in a bit, so I loosened the latch on the vehicle and moved it in a little to make the door shut tighter....it worked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spare tire rubbing against spare tire cover. May want to check rear shocks, if they are too old there may be excessive bounce.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My noise seems to come from the rear seats when they are up and no one is sitting in them. I put pieces of styrofoam where the part that meets the track where you pull to move the back seats back and forth. I notice it is not so bad when I leave the rear seats flat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
my guess is your Spare Tire Cover is causing your problem
I had to tighten up the Metal Catch on the Bottom …. Problem Solved !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rich, in my case I don't have a spare, so it's definitely something with the rear seats when there is no reclining or seated pressure on them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts