Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in West Texas so we are already having 90 degree days. I have noticed that I have a squeal when the engine cooling fan tries to turn on. Also the car has started to run very hot and blow out hot air even with the AC on when I am sitting idle. It will cool back down once I start moving again. Do I need to replace the engine cooling fan, the condenser fan, or both?

Also, I am in need of some good struts at an affordable price, any suggestions? I am even willing to purchase a good pair of used one for now...(money is an issue) until I can afford to purchase some new ones

·
Registered
779 Posts
Could it be simpler than that? Is the squeal coming from the alternator belt that needs to do more work when running the AC/cooling fans? Is the lack of cool air due to the A/C needing re-gasing? Does the A/C really blow cool air when the car is moving or just outside temperature air?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ian g said:
Could it be simpler than that? Is the squeal coming from the alternator belt that needs to do more work when running the AC/cooling fans? Is the lack of cool air due to the A/C needing re-gasing? Does the A/C really blow cool air when the car is moving or just outside temperature air?
No the ac is blowing cold air. The squeal has occured even when the ac has been off and I am just running the fan. It is when the coolong fan starts up, that you here the squeal. It is not like a belt squeal. But when the fan starts to kick on, you hear a squeal as it starting up. Sometimes the sound of the fan is normal and sometimes it sounds as if it is roaring, very loud

·
Registered
278 Posts
Is there enough coolant in it?

Is it losing any coolant?

Does it only run hot when you hear the squeal or does it run hot all the time?
The squeal might come from the water pump or from the fan itself. The fan has a little bearing in it what might be dry, try to spray some wd-40 on it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The squealing sounds like an ac clutch. You can get a small can of R134a with lubricant for under $10 at Wal Mart. You'll turn the motor on and hold the can on the input for the low pressure line. It will take about 10 minutes to empty. This fixed a similar problem in one of my cars.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am not too sure about the A/C clutch because he stated that the squeal has occured even when the ac has been off

·
Registered
273 Posts
it's a confounding problem. I had the same thing. I just looked when I was at Wal Mart - 9.69 a bottle.

·
Registered
881 Posts
If it's a dry metal on metal sound like brakes that are worn out it's probably the bearing in the idler pulley, easy way to tell is take the belt off it and spin it with your hand, if the puley doens't spin nice and smooth it needs replacing.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, several possibilities. Ok lets see if I can straighten it out a bit more. The car runs hot when idling, no matter if the cs is on or not or if I hear the squeal or not. After I have ran the car for a bit and I sit idle say at a light, the engines begins to heat up and hot air blows in from the vent. If the ac is on during this time, then the air being blown in is also hot. Once i start moving again, the engine starts to cool back down again and the cooler air begins to blow once more through the vents.

I have heard the squeal when the cs is on and when it is turned off. I have gotten under the hood to see if I could pinpoint it, but have not been able to get it to squeal when i have the hood up (of course). I have heard the compressor kick on and off, it has a little bit of a small squeal but more of the normal sound. I do need a recharge and will get on that but I do not think that the compressor is the problem. I have also gotten under the hood after driving and the engine temp gauge is sky high to see if I could catch the noise. I have not but did notice that the engine fan had not clicked on.

Okay, now if the fan needs to be replaced, which one gets replaced? There are two there and I noticed that of course they are sold separately. So do I replace the one of the battery side or the one on the driver side?

·
Registered
273 Posts
The fan is rarely the problem. It is probably the switch. You should see if you could wire it so that it always stays on when running. Do this for a day or two and see if the problem goes away.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brother said:
The fan is rarely the problem. It is probably the switch. You should see if you could wire it so that it always stays on when running. Do this for a day or two and see if the problem goes away.
I will see about it trying that. How about somewhere I can get a good pair of cheap struts

·
Registered
542 Posts
i had a busted condenser fan (left hand side when looking at the engine fron the front. in front of the exhaust manifold). both fans run in series when the a/c is on & only run full speed when the radiator is too hot or there is a high discharge pressure. look at the fans with the a/c on, they should both be running on low speed. the radiator temp switch is under the condenser fan, remove the splash guard on that side & pull the plug, that will make both fans run on high speed! see what fans run, don't run, or make your squeeking noise!

i ran for a few months with that connector out & the radiator fan on all the time! no problem..

·
Registered
278 Posts
If it only makes the squeaky noise when the fan turns on then it must be the fan. Turn is with your fingers when the enigine is off and see if you still hear the noise.
Maybe the fan doesn't turn at full speed and that explans that the enigine is running hot when idle, when driving it get's cooled by the wind.
I am pretty sure something is stucked on inside of the fan(it has a small bearing in the middle) and that explains both of your problems

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok here is the latest. I went and picked up a recharge kit for the ac. Before adding any, I hooked up the pressure gauge. The pressure was so high that the needle went beyond the danger poi9nt (red). I released some of the pressure so it was down to normal, but after a few minutes, the pressure was right back up again. (I did make sure that I connected to the low pressure side). The engine temp also heated up. My temp gauge inside the car went up to the red section. The fans never came on (not with the ac on or even when the engine had heated up so high). I imagine it is most likely going to have to do with a relay, but I also noticed that there are 3 fan relays, a fuse link for each fan and the main e/g relay switch. The squeal is coming from the compressor.

Which one would I replace or am I still just way off?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Does the fan comes on when you short wire it?(if it does you know the fan is still working)
I think the radiator temperature switch is not working, so it doesn't give a signal to the fan when the coolant it too hot.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have not tried to short wire it. Not certain I know how or where to start it at. Each fan looks like it has it's own connection

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can try that, but before I do let me throw this out. This all started a few weeks back. I took my car in the shop because I was having trouble shifting my car in and out of park. The safety switch on the shifter had gone out. It was right after this, that all of this started happening, as a matter of fact....my cruise control quit working as well. Would that not indicate that it is more of a relay or fusable link problem instead of it being the fans. I just dont see both fans just stop working one day out of the blue.

·
Registered
278 Posts
There are 3 fuse boxes, 2 under the hood and 1 under the dashoboard, I do not know which ones are for what. If you short wire the fan you know if the fan works, if it works you know there must be a fuse problem or soemthing else

1 - 20 of 25 Posts