Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Squealing/Hissing when gas depressed, when accelerating.

7K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Dhiralall 
#1 ·
Hello all!

I've just purchased a 2005 RAV4 AWD w/ 142,000 miles on it.

I have a squealing hissing noise I can't pin down. I hear the noise consistently when the car is under load and in drive and the gas pedal is pushed down in a slightly depressed position. This happens in all gears of the car (automatic). The noise goes away when I let go of the gas, or if I accelerate harder. Also, the pitch varies depending on how much gas I give the car (but only within that slightly pressed sweet spot).

I would attach a video but the squeal under acceleration isn't loud enough to capture on video while driving.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
Sounds to me like the noise is coming from the transmission. Have you checked the fluid?

#3 ·
The transmission fluid seems fine, and full. I'm not sure about the transfer case or differential. I'd have to look up how to check those two as I'm new to AWD cars.

Let me clarify, the noise sounds like air being sucked in. And again, it's only within the rage of the gas pedal being pressed about a 1/4 way down. A lille more and there will be no noise, and a little less (or not pressed at all) there will be no noise. And only when the car is in drive.

I cant find anything in my research with the same symptoms on this car.

#4 ·
So I thought maybe it could be the serpentine belt. I spayed it with some belt conditioner. It MAY have quieted the issue, maybe not. I cant really tell.

However, I found that when the car is in neutral, or park, and is revved, i will hear the squeal for a split second. SO, I can assume its not a transmission issue.

To clarify, the noise sounds like "tsssiew," like air being released. Or what a modifies stick shift sounds like when it switches gears.

Any Ideas?

#5 ·
Maybe a vacuum leak?

#7 ·
Hi there,

I am a new Rav owner (2001, automatic), and noticed something sort of similar. I thought it was almost like an electrical buzz, crossed with the "tsssiew" already mentioned. Only, it seems to be coming from the rear, left hand side of the car.
Happens just before it shifts up a gear when accelerating.

Regards

#8 ·
I can't believe we still don't have a solution to this!

"Tseww" is a great way to describe it! It doesn't seem to be getting worse or affecting performance.

I cant imagine how I would test for a vacuum leak since the problem is way more prominent in gear (I have only hear the sound faintly when not in gear and revving the engine.)

But I think It may also be the serpentine. But I'm not sure if its characteristic for serpentine belts to make noises like that under "load."

This may be a long shot, but I hear the Rav's have issues with water pumps. Could that be the cause of the noise?

#9 ·
This may be a long shot, but I hear the Rav's have issues with water pumps. Could that be the cause of the noise?
With the water pump, it's usually the bearing that wears out. Mine sounded like marbles rattling in a tin can when it started going.

#10 ·
My 04 rav4 with 175,000 miles has a tapping (metallic sounding) sound and gets louder as I accelerate. It only makes the tapping sound when in drive and accelerating. The harder you push on the pedal the faster the tapping gets. When I come to a complete stop the sound is not there. There is no noticeable lost in performance. After looking on the net and YouTube, it seems like the problem might be a leaking exhaust manifold gasket. I ordered a gasket and will change it this weekend. Will keep you posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.