Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RAV makes a squealing sound when it is cold under slight throttle (20%). It is very specific to throttle position, and is worse when cold. It seems loudest around 3000 rpm, so I suspect it may be an airflow issue. It almost sounds like a vaccum leak. Very high pitched. Anyone heard of this?
I wonder if there have been any electronic throttle issues, or throttle body issues.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
make sure your belt is not loose, power steering fluid (pump ) might be low ...

Had the low fluid problem, on cold starts i'd get a squeel for 20 -30 seconds ... then it would be OK.

Keep us posted !

Steff

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does it at steady state on the highway too, but only at certain throttle openings!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2004 RAV does the same thing and it started at 400 miles. It now has 6500 miles on it and the problem is still there. I took it to the dealer and they said it's intake noise, but I believe it isn't because the noise wasn't there when I first bought the RAV. If it was I would not have bought the car. There is a TSB out for a squeal noise relating to drive belt tensioner defect and it may be that. I'm taking mine to a different dealer to see what they say because I think the first dealer was just giving me the run around. Mine seems to get louder in warmer weather.

·
Registered
184 Posts
have the same problem already for several months.It happened when Ive got 62K miles, after that I made full engine fush with valves and transmission flush, changed oil etc, but it still remains the same.
Cant drive until engine is warm up (15 mins), the transmission doesnt want to change to higher gear, gets stuck on 3000 RPM.

Do not recommend to go to Boch Toyota, Ira Toyota or Bernandi in MA, they have no clue about this problem.Called to Toyota customer office, nothing changed. :evil: :evil: :evil:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I called Toyota customer service they told me to try a different dealer so that's what I plan to do.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The squeeling sound could be a bearing starting to die.

Is it comming from the front ? alternator bearings ? could happen if the belt has been changed and they put it on a little tight, over time it'll stress the bearings ...

Same goes for the power steering pump ! :?

Steff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts