Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently hear some squeeky noise when I depresses the clutch pedal. I have tried spraying some lubrication onto mechanical linkages near to the clutch pedal, but the noise still there. I'm obviously been looking at the wrong place. Does anyone know where I should apply the oil next?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I have never had to deal with a squeaking clutch pedal on the RAV, but I have experienced my share of squeaking brake and clutch pedals on other vehicles. Most likely the linkeages are not squeaking since the clutch is cable connected, but the housing where the pedals pivots may be the cause. If a WD-40 brand does not get it, then one might need a lithium grease spray.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will take a loser look and try using wd-40. I have previously used lithium based (chain saw grease) on the linkages, possibly on the pivot as well. But have another attempt tomorrow.

Cheers.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll not like reading this but here goes:

Took my 04 RAV 4 Petrol into local dealer just before Christmas with the same squeak - pushing clutch pedal up and down (esp with warm engine) resulting in loud squeak from passenger side footwell / engine bay.

Had the same problem with my earlier 97 3dr so knew there was a dry pivot but not the scale of the issue - read on ...

Guy on desk got mechanic to come out and listen - explain I had tried spraying lube at all obvious places and he nodded explaining it would be a dry pivot within the bell-housing - me saying oops that sounds like a big job - and him confirming it would be a box out job !!!

At that point I mentioned the slightly juddery clutch issue too and he said they would look at that too while it was all out ...

Anyway - 2 days later car booked in - call to say ready - all warranty paid I must add - and to my delight they had lubed the pivot and put a brand new clutch in - saying something about the original not be assembled correctly.

To say I was delighted was an understatement - though my local dealer WKB is very good anyway - and par for the course for all the Toyotas and Lexus I have owned (hence I keep going back).

Probably not what you want to hear though unless you have the AON extended warranty ...

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AMH,

You're absoulutely correct in saying the noise is coming from the bellow area. I had someone else stepping on the clutch whilst I was at the engine bay. I can hear the squeeky noise from the ellow area. I think the pivot within the clutch assembley??

Does anyone knows I can open up the bellow and apply some lub? Or its going to be a stealership job?

I have noticed that the sound gone right down when the car is driven for a few miles. I think I only started to have this problem when I have allowed the car to stand still for more tha 5 days in a trot. Before this happen I used to drive it everyday. But now I only used it on the weekend.

I was thinking that I should leave it until I change the clutch or wait until the next service (due in 6 months). WHat do you guys think, will I get anything damage?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess if having to pay I would wait - I tried pulling out the beloows and spraying with lube but never did hit the right spot (luckily garage didn't comment on the oil mist in the area !!).

Or you could go and just ask dealer the cause and price to fix - not sure a 6 month wait is a good idea unless it really does not get any worse - mine got squeakier very quickly but I guess each is unique.

Good luck - let us all know what happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts