Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear swingout door rattles and squeaks while going down the street over uneven surfaces. The door latch guide shows a shiny wear patch where the plastic latch contacts it. I popped the clip out, wiped down everything clean, and spread lightly some silicone grease on all contact points. This worked for about a week, but now sound has returned. Does this mean the clip is worn and should be replaced, or is there some other cure. Sort of a flimsy design for such a heavy door.

·
Super Moderator
10,126 Posts
I haven't had that problem on mine nor have I heard of it on the forum. I'd suggest using something much thicker than silicone like wheel bearing grease. I haven't needed to check mine but there may be some kind of an adjustment possible.
And welcome to forums!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
There is a lot of information in this thread.

Suggestions range from cleaning and lubricating the rubber weather stripping (and rubber bumpers), wrapping the latch hook with electrical tape, and it also contains a link to a PDF describing how to adjust the latch.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Solutions abound, as Ricki posted. I had the same problem with another vehicle and had to install a couple of rubber shims to make the door fit snugly in the locking mechanism. There was about one-half inch adjustment available on the catch on that vehicle which didn't help. But as far as I can tell there is no adjustment available on my RAV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a issue with mine turned the latch around and replaced the two couchins on the door and all was good.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts