Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my short ram intake installed for over a month and did some 2500km on it. Week ago, I extended the piping and moved the filter forward. I drove for some 500km and CEL engine came on. I checked all connections, reset the ECU and after 50km the CEL came on again. I then removed the extension, reset the ECU and no CEL after 50km.
Any ideas ? Check my album for photos of both set-ups.

·
Registered
881 Posts
It would be easier to figure out if you knew what code the CEL is alerting you to. It may be completely unrelated to the intake system. If you have a laptop you should have an OBDII cable off ebay, if not get a scan tool. Doing things like that you are going to need to read and reset the ECU many times so going to Autozone for a free diagnosis is not really practical.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did some research and it appears the problem is that the MAF sensor is right after the curve I added and it is not reading the flow properly. There are many similar problems with other CAI (e.g. Celica AEM). It seems like the sensor has to have a straight pipe directly in front of it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Would be nice to isolate the incoming air from the HOT under-hood air that it draws in.

I installed an extension on my stock air box down into the space behind the fog lights on the driver side. I'll add pics when I get around to gettin' them. This ensures I get Cold air. Before this I removed the stock intake pipe and the fuel millage for the last month was horrible. Switched to CAI set-up and right-a-way I see the difference.

I think it is more important to get that cooler air than to have a high flow filter sucking hot air. Looks like you have some work to do.

Later. M.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Zorin said:
I did some research and it appears the problem is that the MAF sensor is right after the curve I added and it is not reading the flow properly. There are many similar problems with other CAI (e.g. Celica AEM). It seems like the sensor has to have a straight pipe directly in front of it.
I have heard similar problems with other modified MAFs and intake pipes. Those suckers can be sensitive and can easily set a code and a light after modifications.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It appears that the problem is only related with CAI and not SRI.
The problem with most MAF units is that they are right behind the filter in the factory setup just as in case of SRI. The problem becomes more evident when you try to extend the SRI into CAI and add a coupling right before the sensor to extend the distance to the filter. Same problem occurs with Scion tC SRI being turned into CAI. I guess it leaves more work to modify SRI into CAI.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
11/16/2005 - 2005 model year Toyota RAV4 vehicles. Under certain driving conditions, some 2005 model year RAV4 vehicles may exhibit a M.I.L. “ON” condition with at least one of the following DTCs:
�� P0171 (System Too Lean [Bank 1])
�� P2195 (Oxygen [A/F] Sensor Signal Stuck Lean [Bank 1, Sensor 1])
The Air Fuel (A/F) sensor manufacturing process has been improved to correct this condition.

This might be an answer to the problem as well.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have a picture in my album now of that pipe I put in for my CAI. Low Cost. High return. Works Great! Think I made my 10 bucks back already on saved fuel. There is a brief description of what I did along with the picture. Any questions, let me know.

Later. M.

R

·
0 Posts
Marcutio, you are drawing in more cold air which is a benefit but since it is now lower, but could you possibly now suck in water by running through a deep puddle, water hole etc via splash or whatever no?

Is it possible to check the extension after a run through a rain storm, or water etc to see if water got in?

I think the stock setup hides the intake from front end splash and the under vehicle splash etc pretty good, I would be interested to see if you have any issues now that it is lower.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Its lower but not as low as Mohit's. His is on the bottom of the engine. Its pretty well guarded from the wheel well area and the opening in the pipe is pointed downward so it reduces the intake of any water. The pipe is sloped all the way down the length and with the safety inside the stock air box, I feel confident in its design. No problem so far. I can unscrew the fog light and check the end of the pipe in just a few minutes so I may do this after a while to see if it is prone to dirt/water problems.

Hey! For all those racers out there you can pull the fog light and point the pipe straight out to get the Ram Air effect. Can't get anymore simple than that.

Later. M.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was doing my 32k maintenance and spoke to the guys at Toyota about the SRI and CAI. Basically from a technical point of view using the original box with any modifications makes no sense since you would either need small air pump to deliver the cold air into the filter box or only drive in a cold climate. The SRI is an 10-15% improvement over the factory box but no CAI would work properly without extra push into the intake.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Marcutio,

I'd be interested in some hard data on your mod for mileage. Basic averages for the last 1000 miles before mod and after. Sounds like a real winner if you are getting a major improvement in mileage :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts