Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to stick an 3sgte ST-205 into an automatic AWD 1998 Rav 4? Would the tranny be able to handle the added power? Is it possible to transplant a different tranny? I need to keep the AWD, so it is not an option to mess with the drivetrain too much. Would putting an ST-185 in there work better?

Starting a new job, which means more $$$, which means in a few months I should have enough to do it.....should being a key word. If it works, it would be followed by new paint, and some interior fun. As for now, just wantin your ideas.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SZRimaging said:
Is it possible to stick an 3sgte ST-205 into an automatic AWD 1998 RAV 4? Would the tranny be able to handle the added power? Is it possible to transplant a different tranny? I need to keep the AWD, so it is not an option to mess with the drivetrain too much. Would putting an ST-185 in there work better?

Starting a new job, which means more $$$, which means in a few months I should have enough to do it.....should being a key word. If it works, it would be followed by new paint, and some interior fun. As for now, just wantin your ideas.
You can get an ST205 in the States :?:

I have a RAV4 and an ST205 and I have to say - whilst anything is possible it aint going to be easy

Theres no way the Auto box will take 300 bhp although I suspect the intercooler will fit in that big space (The 205 manual box is good for 400 so I suspect the RAV box wouldn't make 200 - and to be honest my experience of the whiney little thing - I'd be suprised if it's good for that)

So you'd have to get the 205s manual box into there and I have to tell you the rear diff on a 205 is about 4 times the size as on the RAV (205 is Torsen)

Then theres the actual box you sit in - the 205 is stiffened and tough to take 300 hp. The RAV is an egg carton !!! so theres body stiffening and suspension changes - I wonder if superstrut will fit on a RAV?

Like I said - anythings possible ..... got a spare $30000

It would be one hell of a car though!!!...

(Oh and the wiring loom)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, you can get an ST 205 in the states, its called JDM import engines :wink:

I think I am going to get the engine from a celica all-trac, the 90-93 version. So it is a ST 185 (possibly 165?). I found one on e-bay with an auto tranny for about 2 grand. As for fitting it, well.....lets see about cuttin that hood, shall we?

At that point, I just can't wait to see what it has got :twisted:

Maybe I should invest in a radar detector, and some of that anti-lazer car covering.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SZRimaging said:
Yeah, you can get an ST 205 in the states, its called JDM import engines :wink:

I think I am going to get the engine from a celica all-trac, the 90-93 version. So it is a ST 185 (possibly 165?). I found one on e-bay with an auto tranny for about 2 grand. As for fitting it, well.....lets see about cuttin that hood, shall we?

At that point, I just can't wait to see what it has got :twisted:

Maybe I should invest in a radar detector, and some of that anti-lazer car covering.
ST205 is a car type - you're getting a 3s-gte that would go in an ST205 .... 255bhp

I've never seen an auto GT4 - but if you can get them in the states that would have to be the way to go. Remeber the older ones are only about 200 bhp

Change the engine, auto box and transfer box using the 3s-gte engine management and you're then just looking at modifying the prop shaft - which might not be a simple as it sounds because I beleive there is some viscous fluid in there

Whas about simply sticking an 175 bhp yamaha head on the 120 bhp 3s-ge engine?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I have an 3S-FE engine, so either way I need to transplant. I figure might as well just do the most I can in one shot. I think I will be going with the older one out of the ST 185. I saw one on e-bay recently with an auto tranny. I was reading on The OZ forum on someone's ST-205 (andrew?), and saw a few things, so I think the ST-185 should be easier. I am going to get the rear diff out of it also, so that will solve that problem. I haven't really come across many 3s-ge engines laying around. its still a ways off, so we will see what happens.

Oh, and I know the ST 205 is the car type, but it is the quickest way to tell between which version of the engine. Saying Gen 1, etc. usually just confuses me :wink:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SZRimaging said:
, and I know the ST 205 is the car type, but it is the quickest way to tell between which version of the engine. Saying Gen 1, etc. usually just confuses me :wink:
I think the ST205s 3s-gte is known as GEN5

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If you want a pro opinion, id say talk to andrew (he frequents the RAV4oz forums) he's one of the few that have done the swap, and hes throught of or tried every configuration you can think of while he was installing his.

But swapping a motor out of a celica and into the RAV is possible, and its been done many times. At the most id say it would cost around 8-10k for everything. Andrew said his main problem was getting all the parts really, the motor was an almsot direct drop in.

As was said above, the 3S-FE tanny will bolt to a 3S-GTE. Wether or not the tranny will be able to take the power is a different story tho, thats why not many people have stuck with the stock tranny.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ag0w said:
I think the ST205s 3s-gte is known as GEN5
ST165 = GEN1 3s-gte
st185 + US sw20 = GEN2
st205 + JDM '94+ sw20 = GEN3
Caldina GT4 = GEN4

just to clarify. :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correction on my thought that an A540H automatic can't handle 300bhp - apparently Toyota put it in some 3litre Camrys so it must be able to handle a fair bit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts