Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
V6 has back stablizer bar, but I4 does not.

What does the bar add to V6?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have verified that my 4x4 Base has rear stabilizer bar, and it's an I-4.

It would stand to reason that you'd want to add a bar to the rear if you want to compensate for the front weight. A front weight makes a car to understeer more, and adding a rear bar makes it understeer less. But in reality I highly doubt that anyone cares all that much. People buy a Miata if they want to carve corners.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure that you don't want to hoon around the corner more safely with your RAV there dude?

It's good they have those strut bars as stock. It makes hell of a difference in chassis stiffness.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I hope you aren't confusing a tower brace with a sway/torsion/roll bar. The latter, which we are discussing here, does not add the chassis stiffness at all. It is designed to reduce the body roll. Varying the relative stiffness of these bars in the front and rear is a way to change the balance of the car.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reduce body roll = stiffer body = better handling = Stiffer chassis

Yes, it would classify as a stiffer chassis. Even though not much, but it will help big time. Especially around the corners. If it does not give better handling, why would amateur-professional cars need them to improve handling?

As with the strut bar it is something to strengthen the body, or Toyota somehow mess up the body work and realise too much roll/stress on the body. Hence they must have a stock bar on them to minimize the problem.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
kidong said:
Are you sure that you don't want to hoon around the corner more safely with your RAV there dude?

It's good they have those strut bars as stock. It makes hell of a difference in chassis stiffness.
Roger that kidong. Toyota knows sooner or later the RAV4.3 will fall in the hands of one or maybe even two performance enthusiastic. For-seeing this, that bar is a must have and I'd stiffen it more with polyurethane bushing from Energy Suspensions.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
kidong said:

Yes, it would classify as a stiffer chassis. Even though not much, but it will help big time. Especially around the corners. If it does not give better handling, why would amateur-professional cars need them to improve handling?

As with the strut bar it is something to strengthen the body, or Toyota somehow mess up the body work and realise too much roll/stress on the body. Hence they must have a stock bar on them to minimize the problem.
I guess the new guys must know who is kidong. If I were you, New! I'd take his advice, he races a RAV4.1 in his country. So, I think you new guys should listen when he speaks.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, guys, when you say stabiliser bar in the States, do you mean anti-sway bar?

As with the RAV4, I know there is a front anti-sway bar on the front and rear as stock. But not for the 4.1.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, ok. So you guys in the States call the Anti-sway bar/Torsion bar as Stabiliser bar. Now I get it.

We down under call them as what I say. As with strut bar, we call them stabiliser bars.

OK, just a miscommunication. My bad.

·
Registered
230 Posts
kidong said:
Oh, ok. So you guys in the States call the Anti-sway bar/Torsion bar as Stabiliser bar. Now I get it.

We down under call them as what I say. As with strut bar, we call them stabiliser bars.

OK, just a miscommunication. My bad.
No problem. Just like we say "haul a$$ around the corner" and you say "hoon".

I think I like hoon better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
kidong said:
I think ur new to this.

An anti-sway bar a.k.a. anti-roll/stabilisation bar don't make the body stiffer.

Reducing body roll has nothing to do with body stiffness. For example, a strut bar increases body stiffness but it won't reduce body roll. An anti-roll bar reduces body roll during cornering but it won't increase body stiffness.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmm............. I maybe new to this, but I do know what I am doing with my cars when I race them.

Anti-sway bars does not increase body rigidity, but undercarriage rigidity. Hence allowing the vehicle either to have more/less over/under steering. I'm no pencil pusher, I work on facts I know.

Strut bar increases body rigidity as it prevents upper body roll.

The anti-sway bar and strut bar compliment each other in both rigidity and handling of the vehicle.

These are what I've been taught since racing.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
you are correct sir.:)

kidong said:
Hmmm............. I maybe new to this, but I do know what I am doing with my cars when I race them.

Anti-sway bars does not increase body rigidity, but undercarriage rigidity. Hence allowing the vehicle either to have more/less over/under steering. I'm no pencil pusher, I work on facts I know.

The anti-sway bar and strut bar compliment each other in both rigidity and handling of the vehicle.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
kidong said:

All the above, once you have been their, done that. It comes out more or less that way. As long as you don't go head over heels, your all right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts