Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know a lot of members have hunted for stainless braided brake line kits for the rav4.1, myself included. well chaps, i found a company thats based in canada that sells a kit for our rav4s! going to do the install this weekend, but so far they look correct, and im super excited to finally have braided lines for my rav!

the company is called apex brakes, the name of the fella i dealt with is raymond chan. great customer service, good prices, and i FINALLY HAVE BRAIDED LINES FOR MY RAV :D

check em out WELCOME TO APEX BRAKES ...........AIRCRAFT QUALITY BRAKE PARTS or track down this fella on facebook https://www.facebook.com/raymond.chan.35380399

enjoy!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont, ill try to get one tomorrow. it was about $95cad shipped. they have a pile of different colors as well, if that matters to anyone haha

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Doing some more reading elsewhere ... I now think you meant brake hoses and not brake lines? They are different.

If actually a preformed SS brake line set, that would be good to know about!

My brake hoses are original, so just ordered a new aftermarket set (Dorman) for the next time I work on the brakes. Less than US$25 total, plus shipping.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry, up here in canada we refer to the rubber hose from the hardline to the caliper the "brake line" and the steel or aluminum line from the master cylinder to the chassis mounting location the "hardlines." same parts, different terminology.

what ive got replaces the rubber brake line from the chassis to the brakes themselves. rubber lines flex and soften, and under load/heat they cause a fair bit of fade as the heat further stretches the rubber and fiberglass lining, over time it weakens and the fade increases and braking power decreases further. the stainless steel braided hoses are not affected by heat or age in the same way, and can withstand several hundred times the abuse of stock rubber lines. they also dissipate heat instead of trapping it, and do not flex or allow pressure loss. if you are into performance modification its a massive brake system upgrade.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes brake fade is caused by heat, and part of brake fade (loss of braking power due to overheating brakes) is loss of pressure due to soft rubber lines becoming hot and losing strength. i dont have bulging brake hoses, rubber hoses have a tendancy to flex. ive done braided brake hoses on two racing vehicles, one street vehicle and three motorcycles and it was a massive improvement in braking power in all cases.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i know a lot of members have hunted for stainless braided brake line kits for the rav4.1, myself included. well chaps, i found a company thats based in canada that sells a kit for our rav4s! going to do the install this weekend, but so far they look correct, and im super excited to finally have braided lines for my rav!

the company is called apex brakes, the name of the fella i dealt with is raymond chan. great customer service, good prices, and i FINALLY HAVE BRAIDED LINES FOR MY RAV :D

check em out WELCOME TO APEX BRAKES ...........AIRCRAFT QUALITY BRAKE PARTS or track down this fella on facebook https://www.facebook.com/raymond.chan.35380399

enjoy!
Reviving from the dead, any update on how well these held up? Might consider pulling the trigger on them as well.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
I replaced my soft brake lines with braided stainless steel lines when I rebuilt my entire brake system (except for the brake booster) in Dec 2015. I've had no problems and my brakes were markedly improved although with the total rebuild, I cannot point at any one thing and say it made the most difference.

- Brake rebuild project, completed Dec 2015
-- 1 st - Stainless Steel Brake Lines for (1996-2000) Toyota Rav4 (ebay.com) just search ebay copying the bold text
-- 1 ea - Raybestos MC390411 Professional Grade Brake Master Cylinder (amazon.com)
-- 1 rl - 25 Ft. Roll / Coil of 3/16" (.028" Wall) Copper Nickel Brake Line Tubing (amazon.com), advantages, doesn't corrode and easily shaped
-- 1 ea - Metric Brake Line Invert Flare Fittings for 3/16" Tube. 10 x 1 mm (Pack of 10) (amazon.com)
-- 1 ea - Beck Arnley 084-1144 Drum Brake Hardware Kit (amazon.com)
-- 1 st - Wagner ThermoQuiet Organic Brake Shoes Rear - (autozone)
-- 2 ea - Beck Arnley 083-2686 Brake Drum (amazon.com) prepped and painted with red caliper paint
-- 1 ea - Raybestos FRC10871 Professional Grade Remanufactured, Semi-Loaded Disc Brake Caliper, Front Left (amazon.com) prepped and painted with red caliper paint
-- 1 ea - Raybestos FRC10872 Professional Grade Remanufactured, Semi-Loaded Disc Brake Caliper, Front Right (amazon.com) prepped and painted with red caliper paint
-- 1 pr - R1 Concepts KEDS10719 Eline Series Cross-Drilled Slotted Rotors And Ceramic Pads Kit - Front (amazon.com)
-- 2 qt - Lucas Oil 10826 Brake Fluid, DOT 3 Synthetic (autozone) probably should have went ahead and upgraded to DOT 5.1 but there wasn't any in stock
- Tools used
-- 1 st - Standard and Metric Flare Nut Wrench Set (amazon.com)
-- 1 ea - CTA Tools 9172 Pliers Type Tube Bender (amazon.com)
-- 1 ea - GOCHANGE Mini Tube Cutter Slice Copper Aluminum Tubing Pipe Cutting Tool 3-22mm 1/8inch-7/8inch (amazon.com)
-- 1 ea - Metric socket set

1 - 11 of 11 Posts