Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Stains on the window panel and side mirrors?

501 9
Recently took my new RAV4 Prime to the car wash and after drying I found this mysterious stain.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive side-view mirror Hood

I tried Goo Gone and All Purpose Cleaner and wiped and wiped for hours with limited success. I almost think it looks worse now. This stain can be found in the side mirrors as well.

Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Grille Car

Hood Light Automotive lighting Water Automotive design

Do any of you happen to know what this stain may be and how to fix it? If it helps, the car had a small paint repair done a week before, but on the front right bumper, nowhere near the stain. I would appreciate any help :)
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Recently took my new RAV4 Prime to the car wash and after drying I found this mysterious stain.

View attachment 189674

I tried Goo Gone and All Purpose Cleaner and wiped and wiped for hours with limited success. I almost think it looks worse now. This stain can be found in the side mirrors as well.

View attachment 189675
View attachment 189673

Do any of you happen to know what this stain may be and how to fix it? If it helps, the car had a small paint repair done a week before, but on the front right bumper, nowhere near the stain. I would appreciate any help :)
That looks like car wax residue to me. There also looks to be some overspray on the door panel in the photo of the mirror.

A little fresh wax should soften the hardened old wax and allow you to clean it off before it hardens again.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
This is going to sounds nuts (pun intended) but using creamy peanut butter is the best method I’ve found to remove car wax from satin, flat or textured black finishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
496 Posts
A rubber and plastic cleaner with a tooth brush. Or an all purpose cleaner and a toothbrush. Don't let it dry. It could be polish residue from the body shop that was flung onto your car. I have no clue how they got it there. It should clean up easily with the right product.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks to me like the passenger side rotating brush got a little too close. Whenever I have had stain/rub damage to the plastic portions of my trim without physical deformation of the plastic itself, rub it with a soft cloth and acetone. It may take some elbow grease also. Go to a different car wash also……

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,950 Posts
Looks to me like the passenger side rotating brush got a little too close. Whenever I have had stain/rub damage to the plastic portions of my trim without physical deformation of the plastic itself, rub it with a soft cloth and acetone. It may take some elbow grease also. Go to a different car wash also……
Ouch! Never use acetone. It is too aggressive and can actually dissolve some plastics (and the paint). Start with some solvent much less aggressive such as rubbing alcohol. If that doesn't work, go up to mineral spirits, then denatured alcohol. Possibly even lacquer thinner or turpentine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ouch! Never use acetone. It is too aggressive and can actually dissolve some plastics (and the paint). Start with some solvent much less aggressive such as rubbing alcohol. If that doesn't work, go up to mineral spirits, then denatured alcohol. Possibly even lacquer thinner or turpentine.
My bad, your correct. Its mineral spirits. Haven’t had to do it in a few years. Was using acetone to get nail polish off my bathroom tile last week and it must’ve been on my mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts