Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Rav4 with 200,000 miles on it. Its up there with the miles but it is still a great car and has been very faithfully maintained. Within the year the engine was throwing codes for the catalytic converter but nothing super serious.it has not affected the function of the car so I have put off the repair for that till I have the funds. Anyway, everything was great the car was driving fine until yesterday when it started to stall at idle and hesitate when accelerating. No new codes were being shown other than the catalytic converter. It was really seeming like a fuel issue so we replaced the fuel pump which was gunked up pretty bad. The problem persisted though. Still seeming like the car was just not getting enough fuel. Thinking that maybe the line was also gunked up I ran some seafoam. Kept the car in park and just let the engine run. It was running and sounding great as long as I applied gas. once I took my foot off the pedal the car RPM's would drop almost to 0 and the car would shake and idle rough then just turn off. After a few minutes of just running the engine the RPM's level out at 700-600 for a nice smooth idle. Just as I thought things were going back to normal it would just die. And now the car is not even staring at all. I cant get the engine to turn over and there are still no codes showing for anything new. My next step is going to be to clean the IAC valve and maybe replace the throttle position sensor. I don't have the funds to just drop on guessing though and really need so advice on a clearer next step.

·
Registered
30 Posts
try seeing if it will start with starting fluid if it will, you have a fuel delivery issue, if not, then probably ignition

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've had exactly the same issues with my Rav last year. First I cleaned the throttle body with carburator cleaner (and sprayed a lot in the opening from the IAC Valve), this worked for a week or so. My next step was removing the throttle body, remove the IAC valve from the throttle body, then you can really clean it good. Put it back together again with new sealings and it runs like new.

So, your next step is the right one in my opinion. ����

Good luck !

·
Registered
24 Posts
About 3 weeks ago I had a similar issue with my 4.2 2wd with 178k miles. At first I also thought it was the IAC valve so I went ahead and replaced it with new gaskets, cleaned the throttle body and that didn't resolve the issue. After days/weeks I replaced the following items, MAF Sensor, Coolant Temp Sensor, Vacuum switch, Throttle Position Sensor. none of those solved my issue. I searched the forums came across a post http://www.rav4world.com/forums/88-4-2-faults-fixes/67728-rav4-keeps-stalling-solved.html which they replaced the Ignition Coils. I proceeded to do the same replaced all 4 ignition coils and problem was fixed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts