Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been told '99 RAV4 needs new starter solenoid. Where is it? How hard to replace? Approximate $$? Should I buy Toyota or aftermarket equivalent?........Thanks

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Don't need to replace it. Find a second hand one will be fine. The starter motor from the RAV4 is the same starter motor you can find on the 3SGE engines off celicas and MR2s. Just replace it. It's cheaper and less labour.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the starter motor and the starter solenoid the same thing? Based on my discussions, it sounded like they were 2 different things.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, they are not the same thing, but rather than just removing the solenoid from the starter motor itself. Replace the whole thing.

A new starter solenoid itself worth as much as a second hand good condition starter motor with solenoid. So I don't see the fuzz why not just replace both of them since they are attached to each other.

I went through 2 starter solenoids since I had my 95 RAV4 and both times I just purchase something from a wrecker in good condition and to heck with the rest. Not to mention you can have spare parts for later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts