Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello all. So recently my 2005 rav has been having rough starts mostly when cold and couple times not when cold out. Today, car would not turn over with auto start, and even with key it was very very rough start .. Barely made it ....
Drove for hour to work. Than about 6 hours late, would not start.. All dash lights worked, windows rolled now but not even a click when turning key.

Ended up having to jump car and when it turned over a small but good amount of white smoke came from engine ..

I'm assuming oil ? Didn't see anything noticeable regarding this

Changed battery to brand new one and still having an issue with rough starts ... Tried auto start about 6 hrs after new battery installed and went no problem .. Shut off and tried 1 hour later and took 3 times to finally start with auto start

Sorry for long post ... Anyone have ideas ?

Alt was reading 13 after new battery, guy said keep eye on it. Should be about 14.

Thanks !!

·
Super Moderator
10,191 Posts
Your battery very likely was the original issue. We'd need the tenths on the volts to comment since 13.0-13.2 could be an alternator problem but 13.7 or above isn't.

The white smoke is a issue since it could be a head gasket failing. Coolant under pressure enters the cylinder(s) after the engine is shut off, makes the engine harder to start, and comes out the tailpipe when you restart. In that case you'd be losing coolant and enough loss will ruin the engine. This is of immediate concern. There are low cost remedies if caught early enough.

Oil smoke is usually gray and less of a concern unless you let it get low and ruin the bearings that way.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your battery very likely was the original issue. We'd need the tenths on the volts to comment since 13.0-13.2 could be an alternator problem but 13.7 or above isn't.

The white smoke is a issue since it could be a head gasket failing. Coolant under pressure enters the cylinder(s) after the engine is shut off, makes the engine harder to start, and comes out the tailpipe when you restart. In that case you'd be losing coolant and enough loss will ruin the engine. This is of immediate concern. There are low cost remedies if caught early enough.

Oil smoke is usually gray and less of a concern unless you let it get low and ruin the bearings that way.

Where are you located?

Thanks for the reply .. I checked alternator and we're getting reading 14.33 , 14.28 , 14.26. This is what loads. And even rpm @ 2500. Had issue with remote start this morning after it sat for about 8 hours and did not kick over at all .. With key it wasn't to to bad but kicked over. So it looks like alt is fine. .

0 smoke compared to yesterday also

Located in NY. 30 miles north of NYC

Car has 170k miles

·
Super Moderator
10,191 Posts
I'd check the coolant level before the morning start. That way you can check it in both the overflow tank and the radiator where it really counts. Then start up with the radiator cap off. A steady stream of bubbles or coolant being blown out indicates an engine issue.
In any case a compression test may be in order. Examining the spark plugs may also give a clue.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Also suggest that the engine oil be checked for a possible milky appearance, which would indicate that coolant is getting into the oil, perhaps from a leaky cylinder head gasket. If you have snow and are observing the color of exhaust smoke if it recurs as Dr. Dyno suggests against a snowy background it may be difficult to discern whether it is gray or white.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks everyone. I wasn't able to check coolant in morning this weekend but will today after i let it sit at work for the day ... Also was planning on getting an oil sample next time I get an oil change ... I heard you can send it somewhere for cheap to see if anything is in it etc .....

tried auto start 4 times this weekend ... 2 worked and 2 did not. This morning , ( about 25 out ). Wouldn't work via auto, with key. Same as prior ( little extra longer to start , than somewhat rough )

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello all. It's been a while and the Rav " finally " really showed sign of an issue .. I got a really bad buckle last night so mechanic checked and a coil pack was misfiring .. upon taking a part they noticed a lot of oil in the cylinders so needed valve gasket. Hopeing this was the rough start at times. Also antifreeze was " sour ". So well see what happens now

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also. I was told by someone I was double charged for labor. Basically I shouldn't of. Been charged 1 hour for coil and spark plugs since coil needs to come out anyway for gasket. I asked shop and they stated there was a lot of work . Used them before and they come recommended.

Attachments

·
Registered
807 Posts
I just did an ignition coil + valve cover gasket + 4 spark plugs = $300 from a private shop. And my spark plugs were $7/each

My ignition coil was $108 installed just itself. Sounds like you got taken for a ride, and most private shops don't charge you a diagnose fee, at least around here they don't. That's usually a dealer-only charge...shame they beat you on that plus the labor. If you're doing valve cover gasket, there is almost no extra disassembly labor to take out the ignition coils + spark plugs. They screw out in literally 5-10min since you have everything off anyways to do the gasket work. You basically got charged labor x2 to do everything in the same general area. Wow...the gasket shouldn't have been additional labor

[edit] my parts were from rockauto too...not DENSO/BOSCH but still...that labor kicked you in the balls

1 - 9 of 9 Posts