Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help diagnosing a starting problem. 2 weeks ago, I turned the key, the car doesn’t turn over. Dash lights come on but the starter is not turning. I removed the starter and checked it and the solenoid l, both are working. Checked the battery, it’s still good. I reassembled it all, cleaned the contacts and the car started. Today, the same issue. I waited about 10 mins and it started. What could be the issue?

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,415 Posts
The starter could have a bad spot. Had this on a Nissan once. Sometimes, the brushes would come to rest on the bad spot, and tapping it sharply with a hammer would move the rotor just enough to start. Replaced the starter and it was fine after that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I would say to load test the battery first. When you say the starter and solenoid are good, what did you do to check them? If your starter is original (2011), it could be starting to fail. Does the engine turn over slower than normal? Let us know what you find....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
kevcules46
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing