Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you guys experience lots of static when you get out of your RAV. When I get out, I get a hell of a static shock from my baby.
I've read in modified about a device that is supposed to dispel it, but does it really sound worth it, or just another gimmick?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Just make sure that whenever you fill your 5 gal gas can for your lawnmower, snowblower, boat etc., that you fill your can on the ground, not from the rear cargo area. We don't need to lose any members - we've lost enough good folks to car bombs in Iraq!! :cry:

OC

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
And I thought I was the only one getting shocked... :shock:

It is so annoying... I believe another factor that could be is dry skin?? winter tends to be a cause of this... also could depend on the type of clothes worn as well... either way it is quite a nuissance... :roll:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Keep your hand in contact with the door (outside metal part, not inside plastic) while exiting the car. This way you wont get a static shock as you're grounded thru the metal in the car.

·
Registered
881 Posts
dnylrq said:
I was wondering if any of you guys experience lots of static when you get out of your RAV. When I get out, I get a hell of a static shock from my baby.
I've read in modified about a device that is supposed to dispel it, but does it really sound worth it, or just another gimmick?
Chances are it is the material in the seat that is causing the static, which would mean one of these grounding devices wouldn't work. I always touch my ignition key to the window sill as I step out, gets rid of it every time without giving the jolt to me.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
tankd0g said:
I always touch my ignition key to the window sill as I step out, gets rid of it every time without giving the jolt to me.
I will have to try that...

Mohit - Using your method I still get shocked... :p

T

·
0 Posts
A lot of things can cause a static shock. My 99 Rav4 has always shocked me and my gf since she's had it. Someone told me it was tires that can do it. When it came time to change the shoes, I went from Goodyear to Bridgestone. Still shock! I ended up installing one of those rubber/leather grounding straps from the chassis to the ground. Looks weird and a lot of people stop to tell me I have something falling off my car... but it works! No more shock.

I used to get the shock whatever I was wearing. I too thought it was the cloth seats, but I don't get anything from my Mazda which also has cloth seating. Mostly has to do with rolling friction. Whatever it is, the Rav4 seems to be prone to building up static charge. I have a colleague who has a Rav4 and she gets shocks frequently, too.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
t0ked1 said:
I ended up installing one of those rubber/leather grounding straps from the chassis to the ground. Looks weird and a lot of people stop to tell me I have something falling off my car... but it works! No more shock.
Any pics? and where did you get it, and how much?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
tankd0g said:
Chances are it is the material in the seat that is causing the static
I agree because before i put the fake imitation leather seat cover on my seats, i think i only got shocked once. After that, i've never experienced it in my baby. The car that always shock me no matter what is my bf's camry. It hurts :( :evil: :?

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have had shocks from every Toyota I have owned, but it seems particularly bad in environments with dry, dusty air (driving in Africa really hurt me).

For static shocks I have another painless solution. Clench your fist and touch one of your knuckles on the metal as you leave the car. You will see and hear a static spark but will feel nothing.

The key method discussed above also works.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, mensajero, I still install rug, but this happens even when I'm not working (like almost everyday so far this year). They say that static is built up from the air hitting your car. Is that actually a reasonable explaination?
http://www.evilautostyle.com/catalog/Evil_Maincat06.pdf

here's the link to the item. its on pg. 2 of this catalog. Looks like a canister with a wire coming out of it. They talk about performance gains, but come on now, do we really buy that? :roll:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OMG do they not love us :cry: For all we do for them, this is what we get......
You never hear of someone getting shocked by their CRV do you?
How horrible is this? :p next they'll try and kill us :shock:

T

·
0 Posts
DJ Sueno said:
t0ked1 said:
I ended up installing one of those rubber/leather grounding straps from the chassis to the ground. Looks weird and a lot of people stop to tell me I have something falling off my car... but it works! No more shock.
Any pics? and where did you get it, and how much?

Thanks.
Sorry, no pics as my girl and the Rav4 are in Pittsburgh and I'm in NYC. I bought it off ebay for around $12 shipped. Search for grounding strap earth ground or any of those combinations and it should pop up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts