Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done any steady state, two-way MPG testing with the RAV4 Hybrid? I'm curious to see if anyone knows what the fuel consumption is at 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75 mph under known (recorded) temperature conditions... I know that Consumer Reports has indicated they got 36 MPG at 65 mph, but I don't know how much rounding they're doing and it's hard to extrapolate to other speeds.

I might get around to doing them myself at some point, but it definitely takes some time to perform and I don't know when I'll have the chance. Plus I'd hate to reinvent the wheel if someone already has data... :wink

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The MID offers an average MPG for each trip, so its not difficult to get the numbers.
There are too many variables to say that the car gets x MPG at y speed. You're getting more accurate info to just look at the average for a trip.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do look at my trip values and what not... And I agree that there are a lot of variables that can affect MPG. But it would still be interesting to know the steady state values under known conditions. Essentially it would involve making a set of multi-mile, 2-direction runs on (ideally) level ground, near sea level, at a known temperature (preferably somewhere around 70 degrees) with minimal winds. Although there would still be some "noise" in the data, the speed comparisons would at least be all relative to one another and corrections could be made to present an idea of what one could expect under different conditions.

There's a pretty big set of data for a variety of vehicles here: Steady State Speed vs Fuel Economy results | CleanMPG

They have the NX 300h and the RX 450h tested. The NX should be similar to the RAV4 (same architecture) but from what I've anecdotally noticed is that the RAV4 seems to get better mileage than the NX. Perhaps the NX is less aerodynamic due to the shorter roof line and other exterior design features? I'm interested in seeing what our numbers look like more as a point of curiosity than anything. Plus it can be useful information for those who want to optimize their mileage vs travel time on long road trips.

I've put about 3000 miles on my vehicle so far and the MID seems to read about 3% high on average (as in, actual mileage when calculated by hand is about 3% less than what's reported).

·
Registered
422 Posts
50 mpg at 55
45 mpg at 65

Grill 80% covered by LED bars

2.8 bar tire pressure

Resetted the trip at cruise and drove 200 miles

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
50 mpg at 55
45 mpg at 65
That is significantly more than I've ever seen!!

Best I've seen so far is approximately 46mpg at 55mph over about 30 miles at sea level, but I think it may be aided by a light tail wind. I haven't been able to get a true 2-way average due to traffic conditions in this area, but the best return trip I've seen so far (different day / time) is around 43mpg (It's a miracle I was able to maintain a constant 55 mph to begin with...) So... maybe 44.5 mpg reported / 43mpg true (factoring in the 3% MID error).

Again, lacking hard numbers, but as an overall general observation I've seen a 2-way run at 65mph give me approximately 40mpg reported / ~ 38.5mpg true. So the consumptions curves between 55 and 65 have a similar slope.

Are you at a high elevation by chance? And do those numbers include any other mods besides your lower grill block (via LED bars) or is that the only one in place for those runs? I've got my lower grill 85% blocked and I'm using AirTabs on the leading edge of the front under tray...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can only make a guesstimate

But Im going to go with lower to middle 40's. As it stands now Im getting about 38mpg average combined highway/city in sport mode. I switched back to normal mode this tank & Im at 310 miles with a half a tank left, I have about 200 miles left (seems to be 2 to 3 mpg more then I was before) The more stop and go travel I do, the mileage seems to drop. However in normal mode it seems more difficult to get the vehicle up to speed and as a result my top speed is about 65mph. My reasoning for low to mid 40's is that if Im at 41 to 42 now on normal mode combined, it would probably be a little higher with more highway & less local. Based on this I would also say that for each 5 mph higher, you would need to subtract about 3 mpg. If I dropped my top speed to between 55-60, I could probably eek out 44 mpg, but you cant drive like that in southern california. You pretty much need to keep with traffic or you'll either get dirty looks or a bullet in your head.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just a thought since you mentioned mods, have any of you chipped your Hybrid? I cant see the vehicle doing better then what its doing, but some of these chips claim 10 to 15 percent increase in hp & mileage,

·
Registered
422 Posts

It's at sea level in the summer.
Blocking and high tire pressure was the only mods at the time.

My car has always gotten better numbers than my friends btw..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any good web links to explain the modding of front grille .... to increase mpg in winter.
Want to avoid making it ugly after the mod.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a thought since you mentioned mods, have any of you chipped your Hybrid? I cant see the vehicle doing better then what its doing, but some of these chips claim 10 to 15 percent increase in hp & mileage,
3rd party chips tend to do things like modify the air / fuel ratios, advance timing, etc. They can have a noticeable effect on some vehicles where the settings are overly conservative from the manufacturer. Some parameter changes can also have a positive effect on fuel economy. However, I'm guessing Toyota has all of the parameters pretty well optimized to begin with.

Plus, I don't know of any chips for the RAV4 hybrid and because of the complexity of the Toyota synergy drive systems I'm not even sure they exist...

Reactions: cardoso

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any good web links to explain the modding of front grille .... to increase mpg in winter.
Want to avoid making it ugly after the mod.
This thread has some ideas: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/109-4-4-electric-rav4-hybrid-ev/247818-do-you-want-5-mpg-back-during-cold-months-restrict-air-flow-radiator.html

You'll see in that thread that for something fast, easy, and cheap, pipe insulation works pretty well.

You can also try doing a search for "grill block" within this forum and just a general google search. The Prius community has done it quite extensively and there are some good ideas out there that can be applied to the RAV4. They have some elegant and clean looking solutions out there. Too much time and work for me though :wink

·
Registered
216 Posts
At about 110 km/h (68 mph)
Winter tires
Thule cargo box on top
4 passengers (2 adults, 2 young childrens)
Small front/cross Wind with little snow
- 4 degrees Celcius (27 Fahrenheit)

I got 8,5L/100 (27,7 MPG) on a 65 km trip (40 miles)

It's gonna be colder in a month, my average MPG will drop significantly this winter...

·
Registered
27 Posts
This thread has some ideas: http://www.rav4world.com/forums/109-4-4-electric-rav4-hybrid-ev/247818-do-you-want-5-mpg-back-during-cold-months-restrict-air-flow-radiator.html

You'll see in that thread that for something fast, easy, and cheap, pipe insulation works pretty well.

You can also try doing a search for "grill block" within this forum and just a general google search. The Prius community has done it quite extensively and there are some good ideas out there that can be applied to the RAV4. They have some elegant and clean looking solutions out there. Too much time and work for me though :wink

This is just what I was hoping for. Thanks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: I did some testing of steady-state MPGs for 55mph and 65mph and posted the results in a separate posting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts