Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have checked the Costco site and it says that the winter rims are the same for 2006 - 2015. It also shows the same part number for up to 2006? I have the chance to get some used 17"steel 5 spoke off a 2008 rav4 that I would like to use as a winter set. I want a factory offset to fit my 2015 limited does anybody know for certain that 08 rims will fit a 2015 and is there any markings on the rim that would state the year just so I could confirm the year that I'm being told by the seller.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Are you sure they are "steel five-spoke" wheels. I know the alloy wheels are five-spoke, but the steel are much different than that. Anyway, Wheel-Size.com :: Reference guide for car wheel and tire dimensions such as size, offset, PCD says that the 2008 RAV came with two different 17" wheel sizes. It does not differentiate if they are steel or alloy.

7Jx17 ET40, (all trim)
7Jx17 ET45, (2.0, 2.4i)

They also list the 2015 wheel sizes as:

6.5Jx17 ET39, (2.5)
7Jx17 ET39 (2.5)
7.5Jx18 ET40 (2.5)

I'm pretty sure that the 6.5" wide are the steel wheels on the LE, the 7" wide are the alloy wheels on the XLE, and the 7.5" wide are on the Limited. In all cases, for 17" wheels of any year, they show 225/65R17 tires. A different page of the same web site allows you to compare two different configurations with each other. On one side I input our Limited wheels and on the other, the 17" wheels, (with ET45).

For sure, if the 2008 wheels are the ET40, they will fit fine. Being up north, you know how little 1 millimeter is, (those of us still in the dark ages might not know how little a millimeter actually is, at least in respect to wheel offsets). The comparison seems to indicate that the ET45 wheels will fit also. You should be 'good to go'. (I'm interested in this subject also because I'm just about ready to go with 17" wheels on my Limited in an attempt to smooth out the harsh ride characteristics of the larger wheels.) When you get your wheels, (and tires), please reply back and let us know how they fit.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My apologies. Just looking at RAV wheels on eBay, it does appear that they sold 5-spoke steel wheels. They are just painted to look like allow wheels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are 17x6.5 and I'm unsure of the backspacing. I pulled one front wheel off the limited and these steel rims "appear"to fit just fine. They unfortunately are a bit crustier then the pictures in the add let on so I'm in the process of cleaning them up and repainting. I would have loved to just get new ones but I need these winter tires to be as cheap as I can make them. Wife thinks she doesn't need winters but I disagree and I know what a nice set of winters can do on those super lousy days. These really are not in that bad of shape and I only payed 100 bucks with centre caps so I can live with some elbow grease. They were previousy painted black which is the color I'm doing anyways. Then to wait for a good Canadian Tire sale for the rubber.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Nice score! It will be a bit of a hassle, but if I were in your shoes, when the sale comes on, just get one tire. Go home and put it on a front wheel, then rotate the steering wheel lock to lock. See if it rubs anywhere on the fender. If not, your okay to get the other three.]

It is easier to tell if it rubs if you go for a short drive. Make a tight U-turn. That's enough to tell. But I think you'll be fine. If they came off a RAV, more than likely they will work just fine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I totally forgot to turn side to side with the rim on there. Oops. I was to busy ensuring that it fit the hub assembly properly and cleared the caliper, strut and any brake/abs lines. There was 2.5" to the strut which appears to be slightly more than the limited wheels. My wife will never let me live this down if these don't fit when tires get on. Lol

·
Registered
169 Posts
My apologies. Just looking at RAV wheels on eBay, it does appear that they sold 5-spoke steel wheels. They are just painted to look like allow wheels.
Standard 17" steel wheels on the 4.3 series. I have these on my 2010 since I do not like alloy wheels, they are easy to clean, and they do not have hub caps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2014 XLE and I used a set of 17" aluminium wheels from a 2007 Sport. The hub center and the offset are the same as a 2013/2014/2015. They fit perfect on my Rav.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone! I will try and remember to update this post with some pictures when I eventually get these repainted and some tires on them. I could have just bought a complete new set but since the wife doesn't think these are needed I'm treading lightly if you know what I mean. However when snow flys and she feels the difference from her previous accord with winter tires I think she will come around. Until then I'm just going to keep moving forward with cleaning/repainting and in a couple weeks I will find a good sale. Then I will use her famous line of "look how much I saved today". My wife is a frugal shopper and loves a good sale.
Ps. I hope my wife doesn't find and read this post. Lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The factory lugs for the alloy's actually have a tapered end so that you can use them on your spare. However they would look ridiculous and really do need a proper set for appearance sake.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good call though because not all factory lugs are the same and it's always good for people to check. We've all seen the consequences of poor wheel instalation.

·
Registered
169 Posts
There are reasons why a steel wheel can be safely held in place with a tapered nut but an aluminum wheel needs a large flat surface to spread the clamping forces. An engineer well versed in material ductility of steel vs aluminum can explain it much better than I can.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Yeah I've heard if you use those alloy lug nuts on your steel wheels the washers will jingle. Might be fun at Christmas time! :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Dirtymutt, I wouldn't count on that small taper on the alloy lug nuts to keep your wheels in place......
I got chrome tapered lug nuts at NAPA years ago for less than $2 ea.....but they probably went up in cost since then..... If you buy them at the dealer the cost is more, of course; but the chrome will stand up a heck of a lot longer....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I actually have no intentions of using them I just meant that you "could" use them to mount your steel rim spare if the need arrizes. There are things I will do on the cheap and there are definate things I won't skimp on.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Do all the wheels of the V6 have the same off-set dimensions?
Are they different than the I-four?

Yeah, I'm looking for a set of steelies for winter tires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts