Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received a recall letter today for our 2015 Rav about the power steering assist on SOME models having a bad circuit board.
Any specifics on this as to which models might be bad or just hit and miss all through the lineup?

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Did your letter include VIN ranges? Do you know your VIN?
If you created a Toyota account, which includes your VIN you
could find out exactly whether your vehicle is subject to recall.

In any event, you got a letter based upon VIN. Bring it to the dealer.

I think we are done here.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I know all of that having gone thru it with a 2009 Camry gas pedal, which mine was not one of the ones that was sticking due to the mfg. of the pedal, and a 2010 Tacoma that they kept wanting to hacksaw off my gas pedal in case I was stupid enough to stack a rubber mat on top of the factory mat and cause the pedal to get stuck.
I do plan on letting them look at it at it's 10k oil change.
Anyone have some constructive info to answer my question?

·
Registered
34 Posts
^^ Same as mine. 2015 XLE built March 3 2015 Made in Japan. I just logged in through my Toyota Owners account and no recall.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
There ya go....

SUMMARY:Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain model year 2015 Camry, Camry Hybrid, Highlander, and Highlander Hybrid, and 2014-2015 Rav4 vehicles. A component of the electric power steering (EPS) electronic control unit (ECU) may have been damaged during the manufacturing process. Over time, this damage may result in failure of the electric power steering system.

CONSEQUENCE: An unexpected loss of power steering increases the risk of a crash.

REMEDY: Toyota will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the serial number of the EPS ECU or steering column assembly. If the number is within the affected range, the EPS ECU will be replaced, free of charge. The recall began on May 7, 2015. Owners may contact Toyota customer service at 1-800-331-4331.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Got my recall letter in the mail. It says it will take 1.5 hours to inspect it for the defect and 2.5 hours or longer to fix it if it is bad. Will they give me a rental car if it takes longer?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Got my recall letter in the mail. It says it will take 1.5 hours to inspect it for the defect and 2.5 hours or longer to fix it if it is bad. Will they give me a rental car if it takes longer?
Late reply, but I just had this fixed on my car. The Toyota dealership is not allowed to stock the part, they need to submit paperwork to Toyota and then the part is sent. After determining my car was affected, they did in face give me a rental and they called me 3 days later when my car was complete.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Late reply, but I just had this fixed on my car. The Toyota dealership is not allowed to stock the part, they need to submit paperwork to Toyota and then the part is sent. After determining my car was affected, they did in face give me a rental and they called me 3 days later when my car was complete.
Took it in for the 10K service AND the recall today.
Inspected and mine is defective but they ordered the part and gave me back my Rav.
Part should be in later today or early tomorrow.
What reason could there be for not stocking the part?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it is a safety issue I am surprised they gave the car back to you to use.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE
Probably a low risk safety issue of actual failure.
My wife and I both know how to drive a car without power steering anyway and how much harder it is when power goes out.
Maybe if I had already had a loaner instead of waiting the verdict might have been different.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got back from dealer after the ordered part came in and was installed.
Talked to the service and parts director about why they don't stock the part.
Answer is Toyota does not want the dealers to hoard parts and allocate very small amounts to the different regions.
They took almost 3 hours from when I arrived to get it done and I was first in line.
Hope we don't have anymore recalls.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We just purchased our 2015 Rav Limited, and I checked the VIN online. Ours has no current recalls. I was wondering, when the vehicles are still on the lot, is it safe to assume that any active recalls would be addressed before the vehicle can be sold?

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,451 Posts
We just purchased our 2015 Rav Limited, and I checked the VIN online. Ours has no current recalls. I was wondering, when the vehicles are still on the lot, is it safe to assume that any active recalls would be addressed before the vehicle can be sold?
No, it is not safe to assume anything. Most dealers won't do any recall work until the vehicle is sold. They don't know how long it's going to sit on the lot. It might even get traded over to another dealer, so they would rather pass the buck over to the other party. I have even heard of "Certified Pre-owned" vehicles being sold that have recalls pending. A savvy shopper will do their homework and demand that any recalls be done before delivery.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts

I wouldn't assume anything about recall work having been done. As an example, from my experience the service manager at the Toyota dealership which sold me my '11 RAV hadn't even read the Customize Parameters list, which had pertained to RAVs since the 4.3 went into production for 2006. He maintained that the beep which sounds when using the remote to lock and unlock the car couldn't be disabled, when the Customize Parameters list clearly shows that it can be disabled. So it is possible that a dealership may have not read recall notices, either.

It's possible to check whether recall work has been done by obtaining the vehicle's VIN and then registering with www.toyotaowners.com and entering the VIN. If the work has been done that info should be noted.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I wouldn't assume anything about recall work having been done. As an example, from my experience the service manager at the Toyota dealership which sold me my '11 RAV hadn't even read the Customize Parameters list, which had pertained to RAVs since the 4.3 went into production for 2006. He maintained that the beep which sounds when using the remote to lock and unlock the car couldn't be disabled, when the Customize Parameters list clearly shows that it can be disabled. So it is possible that a dealership may have not read recall notices, either.

It's possible to check whether recall work has been done by obtaining the vehicle's VIN and then registering with www.toyotaowners.com and entering the VIN. If the work has been done that info should be noted.
Thank you. I'm in Canada though, and this site appears to be for US owners only. Does anyone know if something similar exists for Canadian owners?

As mentioned, I did check my VIN on Toyoya.ca website and it came up clean.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts