Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a very silly question but when I first picked up my 2006 Rav4 Sport I remember that when I parked the car removed my key and moved the steering wheel it would lock into place after only an inch or 2 of movement. Now for whatever reason it seems I have to move it almost 180 degrees in order to make it lock. This makes so much tension that I then have to use two hands to hold the steering wheel in order to remove the lock and start the car. I'm used to the wheel locking right away without alot of movement. Right now I can move the steering wheel back and forth and it will not lock unless I move it to an exteme rotation. Can someone comment on what is normal.

Thanks
Brad

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've noticed that on all 3 Toyotas I have owned. I think it is normal. Sometimes it just takes a little and others it takes a lot of movement.

·
Registered
363 Posts
1. You do not have to "manually" lock the steering wheel by turning it, if a thief were to attempt to move the car in that way it will lock on him automatically, as designed. And this causes you to go through the unnecessary motions of moving the wheel to get the key to turn.

2. You should never if at all possible turn the steering wheel when the vehicle is not moving, at least inching along, that is very stressful on the mechanism and causes premature wear and play in the system.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never manually lock the steering column; I just noticed that somethikes if you hit the steering wheel it will lock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts