Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were originally thinking it was the tie rod, when they started to take it apart they noticed the play was from the steering box. So the estimate went from 400 to about 2400 !

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
They are probably quoting you the price for the entire steering (rack and pinion). Rockauto price are $250 to $300 (core charge apply after returning old one) for a reman rack and pinion steering. You should get the outer tie rod replaced another $12 (x2) since these can seize when they get old. A rack & pinion steering comes with new inner tie rods by the way.

Some place sell brand new rack and pinion steering for $139 only. (3 yr warranty)

Cost for labour is near $800 ? So you can get it done for under $1000. The $2400 is too much especially if you can shop for a lower price for a rack.

You may double check for a second opinion and lower quote at another shop.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, was thinking it was kind of high. Going to get it looked at a different shop and see what happens.
It seems to be driving fine, steering still seems tight to me and no un even wear on the tires.

Not sure Id put 2k into the rav at this point, but other than the steering rack its in good shape.,

·
Registered
161 Posts
Had the same problem with my 08 I4, internal rack bushings failed with excessive play, DIY it without dropping the frame or lifting engine. Got a new gearbox from a toyota dealer in VA, with shipping and a special boot band clamp $735. They may add in that cost to drop the sub-frame/lift motor up, so that's why it $2400.....you can do it without that procedure.

That also came with a new intermediate steering shaft, disconnected the rear trans mount and front motor mount, supported with bottle jack slightly elevated and pulled out the rack, the hardest part was to install the intermediate steering boot cover with that special boot band clamp on the firewall....can do it around 4 hours .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got back from a local dealer......Steering rack is gone for sure. that and the rear coil springs too.
Having a local install for under 1k all in ! Ill take that !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts