Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, I have a 2006 V6 Sprt and I am wondering about something. I am ready to break the first 1000 mile mark and for the time that I have had it there is an occasional knock in the steering column when taking slow turns (In/Out of driveway or parking spot). Anyone ever notice this?

It does not happen all the time, and so far the car tracks its course without issue but the knocking is kinda disturbing. I took it to the dealer at the beginning of the week and they said "The steering system is still tight because it is still a brand new vehicle". What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moderator edit: TSB has been released :arrow: http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14583

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had a single click sound when making a left turn. Doesn't happen all of the time. Sounds like hitting your finger nail against plastic. I have not been able to determine the cause.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Don't forget that you have an electric power steering system, I on few rare occasions at slow speed I felt the steering motor kick in, like a quick tug on the wheel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This almost sounds like a CV joint knock... But it is under the hood. Maybe the Steering pump? Or steering rack?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
\"kimmcc\" said:
I took it to the dealer at the beginning of the week and they said \"The steering system is still tight because it is still a brand new vehicle\". What do you guys think? Thanks in advance
Will be glad when they get the quote function fixed... :doh:

Did the dealer check anything??

Something is not right.

The sport has a larger turning radius due to the larger tires (17-inch tires: 34.8 feet,18-inch tires: 36.8 feet).

Guessing here but the stops might not be adjusted for the 18 inch tires. Could be Shock tower problems..

Here is link to a previous thead on this topic

Can you hear me knocking now :doh:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I was watching that thread and I haven't seen a conclusion. What's weird is the knock on mine is throughout the whole range from ON-center to full turn. And here's an even wierder thing, It is more prevailent when there is someone sitting in the passenger seat. :?

Ex. we were in an open parking lot and when we pulled in we made a left (knock, knock, knock) then a right into the spot (knock, knock, knock) and then to straighten the wheel (knock...). So when we left, I stood outside of the vehicle while my wife did figure 8's in the parking lot and there was no noise. As soon as I got back in, we exited the lot and knock, knock, knock...

Solution: let nobody ride in the passenger seat... :lol:

Edit: I do notice the knocking when I am driving alone, but it is only on occassion. And I am noticing it more as I am making slower turns, like under 10mph. I don't hear it on things like Off-ramps or Rotary's. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
There is something definately wrong here.

If you can duplicate this at will, I would recommend you arrange to take a service tech with you and demonstrate this problem.

Probably not related to the problem but all of the Electronic Power Steering components (excluding the ECU and ECM) are inside the car and attached to the steering column

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, that graphic is very helpful. Thank you very much for your feedback on this. I was hoping to set it up to be looked at again when the first O/C rolls around. THis time though, I am going to take one of the techs with me to point it out. I haven't seen the dash light for the P/S so this could get interesting...

Thank you so much for your help.

P

·
0 Posts
Knock here too

I especially get it on a slow right turn, especially while I am applying brakes during the turn. I have a v6 4wd sport as well. I am going to have it looked at this month. (I have 8000 miles on my RAV.) I'll be watching this thread.

J

·
0 Posts
steering knock

My sport does it too. I think it's the struts turning on the bearings in the strut towers. (don't know the technical term)

·
Registered
237 Posts
kimmcc said:
Yeah I was watching that thread and I haven't seen a conclusion. What's weird is the knock on mine is throughout the whole range from ON-center to full turn. And here's an even wierder thing, It is more prevailent when there is someone sitting in the passenger seat. :?

Ex. we were in an open parking lot and when we pulled in we made a left (knock, knock, knock) then a right into the spot (knock, knock, knock) and then to straighten the wheel (knock...). So when we left, I stood outside of the vehicle while my wife did figure 8's in the parking lot and there was no noise. As soon as I got back in, we exited the lot and knock, knock, knock...

Solution: let nobody ride in the passenger seat... :lol:

Edit: I do notice the knocking when I am driving alone, but it is only on occassion. And I am noticing it more as I am making slower turns, like under 10mph. I don't hear it on things like Off-ramps or Rotary's. Hope this helps.
I've got the exact same thing (V6 Base AWD). I took it into the dealer at 3600 miles because it was driving me crazy. The Service Advisor (guy who works the counter for the service dept.) and I went for a ride, and he seemed to not be too concerned with it. They were short-staffed that day, so I left it there for another tech to check out. I guess the tech had the same concern that I did, as they're replacing the front struts and "tops," which I'm assuming are the strut mounts. I had a '98 Camry that also had strut mount issues, although they were resolved when I went with KYB aftermarket strut mounts at 90K.

I should be picking it up tomorrow, so I'll let you know what I hear...

DJ

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, mine went in this morning. Took a tech for a spin and he noticed it. First it was dismissed as "Sounds like something just needs to be tightened up". Then it was "don't take my word on it as it could be something a bit more than that". He was very polite and was definitely aware that something was going on. It was refreshing since the last place we took it to dismissed it as "The steering is just getting broken in"... :?

I mentioned that to the tech and got a chuckle and a "Oooookaaay..." :)

Propak, you have 330k on your Tundra? That's pretty freakin cool 8)

·
Registered
237 Posts
kimmcc said:
First it was dismissed as "Sounds like something just needs to be tightened up". Then it was "don't take my word on it as it could be something a bit more than that". He was very polite and was definitely aware that something was going on.
That was my experience, as well. The seemed to initially dismiss it, but after they looked into it they're starting to replace parts. I figured this one was going to be a bit of a fight, but I'm pleasantly surprised that they're doing something about it.

The Service Advisor called me back last night to say that the strut "tops" were in, but that they were waiting for the struts themselves. Hopefully it'll be all set by tonight...

DJ

·
Registered
237 Posts
kimmcc said:
And here's an even wierder thing, It is more prevailent when there is someone sitting in the passenger seat. :?
I've noticed the same thing. And ironically, the heavier the person, the more noise it makes. There's about a 70 lb. difference between my wife and my father in law, and when he was in the passenger seat (with her sitting in the seat behind him), the noise occured more frequently.

DJ

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, just spoke with my service advisor and it turns out that they ended up rebuilding an assembly in the steering columne as to tighten things up. Now I haven't picked up the vehicle, so I am not sure yet if that was the cure.

On a side note, I must mention that mine was not related to anything in the wheel assembly. I know this for sure, because when I heard the noise, my wife stopped the vehicle, mid-turn and I got out. She then proceeded to continue the turn, thus making the knocking sound. I walked around both sides of vehicle and heard nothing from the strut assy's, the CV's, etc.. nothing. Our noise was definitely related to something under the hood and even outside the vehicle, I couldn't hear the knocking sound. So logically maybe the re-assembly cured it.

Hope this helps! I will relay my findings when I retrieve my car later on this afternoon.

And I need to get some pics of our baby up on my profile! BTW, our 4th fillup we registered over 25mpg...

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a 2WD V6. No knocking noise while turning. However, when I rotate the steering wheel ALL the way in either direction, it makes a "thump" noise. I'm not concerned with it, but I've never had another vehicle that made that noise when turning the steering wheel all the way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, got the vehicle back... No knock!!! :D

So I met with the service guy and he explained to me they tightened a couple of Subframe Bolts after removing them and putting thread lock on them. They were torqued down so those suckers shouldn't go anywhere for the life of the vehicle.

I don't know if my situation is common with everyone here, but it might be worth looking in to as an possible solution. Hope all goes well with everyone else here.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts