Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Do any of you have this with your new RAV4.3? When sitting still, when you turn the wheel a lot (like to turn the wheels to back out of a parking space), do you hear some sort of noises coming from the dash? Does this have to do with the steering rack and the electric steering? Or am I experiencing something out of the norm?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Heard the same noise. Kinda of someone pulling a wire. Don't know what it is but I doubt it's a defect. Otherwise, we should ask our dealer or distributor to return our payment for not doing proper PDI.

R

·
0 Posts
Is it like a buzzing noise that comes and goes? There seems to be a buzz/whizz sound that comes from the guage cluster. I don't need to turn the wheels for it to happen, I can just press the brake or the gas and the noise is there. I own a Sport V6 and never noticed this on the I4 Limited I test drove.

Rob

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, it's only when turning the wheel sometimes. Seems to happen when the car is not moving, like when you're turning the wheel all the way to one side when you are getting ready to back out of a parking space. It's like a mechanical and/or electrical buzzing or whatever. It coincides with the turning of the wheel. I was just wandering if this is normal or not and if others experience the same thing.

B

·
0 Posts
funny you mention this.... This is the intermittent sound that I have noticed. It seems to appear mostly when the engine is cold. The dealer took the cluster area off & thought it could possibly be the wires vibrating against something.

We had a few warm days & I didn't notice it much until this morning & again leaving work.

I notice mine when I am coasting at under 55kms (no acceleration)& sometimes breaking or reversing.

I keep thinking it is coming from the front vent or cluster area.
I also have the Sport v6.

R

·
0 Posts
Mine is definately more noticeable when the vehicle is cold and gets better the warmer it is. It does sound like the cluster is making the noise, but the only way to know for sure would be to disconnect/disable it and then operate the vehicle. Pulling fuse 27 from the instrument panel fusebox should do the trick. I would really like to know how you make out trying to figure this noise out as well. Mine seems a little worse now than when I first got my RAV4. There's about 700kms on mine now.

Rob

B

·
0 Posts
Rob:
keep us posted as well. The 1st dealer did hear it but couldn't pin point the problem. Hhe did take the cluster area off & the wiper blades. When we tested with it off, it did not make the "sound".
This could have also been because the engine was warm at that time.

H

·
0 Posts
if your steering wheel is all the way left or all the way right, it might make that noise. My brothers chevy truck did that and that was first time for me but later I found out it's normal. If you are having problem like mine where it makes low rattling noise when you step on brake or sometimes when driving around, no dealer that I went to were able to find fix for it and I gave up as I did not have time to deal with it and I already spent so much time and up the mileageto deal with it. One of the dealer said it's brake booster that is making noise but I don't buy that since it randomly happens and also happens when driving. I guess if you are having same problem, you just have to wait till toyota notice this, find fix for it and make it as recall service. :(

R

·
0 Posts
backtolife said:
Rob:
keep us posted as well. The 1st dealer did hear it but couldn't pin point the problem. Hhe did take the cluster area off & the wiper blades. When we tested with it off, it did not make the "sound".
This could have also been because the engine was warm at that time.
... or that the cluster is making the noise. I'm going to try pulling that fuse later and see if the noise goes away. There's another V6 sport at the dealership which I may try to see if it does the same thing.

Rob

B

·
0 Posts
I am bringing my vehicle in tomorrow after work to the dealer I bought the Rav from for the window rattle & the buzz sound coming from the cluster area.

This is what I am going to tell them based on my observations:

With respect to the cluster sound:
There is a buzz sound/whizz sound/psss sound or vibration sound coming from the cluster area or front driver side vent. While stopped, if you lift your foot off the brake pedal & reapply the brake pedal you can hear this sound as you are lifting off & pushing down the brake pedal. Also revving engine slightly from park creates the sound.

It is consistently making this sound when the engine is cold & the vehicle is coasting with not acceleration at under 55 kms. When the engine is warmer, while coasting the sound can be reproduced but not as frequently as when the engine is cold.

B

·
0 Posts
RobG said:
... or that the cluster is making the noise. I'm going to try pulling that fuse later and see if the noise goes away. There's another V6 sport at the dealership which I may try to see if it does the same thing.

Rob
Please let us know if that works.
I will mention disconnecting the fuse for the cluster & see what they have to say.

N

·
0 Posts
I too am looking to purchase a Rav4 V6 in the summer/fall. I'm continuing to monitor these forums to make a better informed decision before jumping in to this Toyota.

Just a comment on the noises. I'm currently a Mazda Protege Speed owner and trust me if I complained about any sort of noise, I'd get the following response from Mazda Canada:

"It's a characteristic of the vehicle".

I have some intermittment dash and door rattles, but the suspension is stiff sport tuned so I'm going to get these issues. I wanted to move in to the Rav4 for more space for my family and hearing so much about "Toyota quality". I'd kick myself for spending close to $40k CAD and encountering the same "issue(s)" with my Mazda. Trust me, there's nothing worse than driving a brand new vehicle (or any vehicle for that matter) and listening to RATTLES!

I found the best course of action in dealing with manufacturing /engineering issues is to contact the Manager in Quality Assurance (in this case Toyota US operations or Toyota CAD operations). In my case it was Mazda Canada who I complained to with other issues I encountered with my vehicle... They finally fixed the problems and sent parts to the dealership. The problems I encountered and complained about ended up becoming TSB items in North America. Dealing strictly with the dealerships sometimes is a waste of time.

Anyways, my 2 cents. Hopefully these issues are dealt with because I really want a V6 Sport.

H

·
0 Posts
I've got an I4 and it has no noise whatsoever when turning the
wheel from side to side while in park. Pressing the brake is also
quiet. Nothing coming from behind the dash at all. Why should
a V6 be any different? I wouldn't think so anyhow.

B

·
0 Posts
I test drove the v6 limited today but could not duplicate the sound that I have in my sport v6 while at coasting speeds.
I did notice while stopped, realeasing the brake pedal & reapplying the brake pedal had a similar sound to mine, however much more faint.

The other dealer listened today & did hear a sound, however didn't think it was coming from the cluster. He thought it was coming from under the steering column somewhere.

I could only duplicate the sound while the car was stopped. I would release the brake then push down on the brake.
This would duplicate the sound. I could duplicate the sound also in reverse as well as drive.

He felt this could be normal & part of how the brakes work in this vehicle. He also indicated the Matrix has similar sounds. He suggested leaving the vehicle overnight when the engine is cold & we will test drive again. I will leave it on Sunday for Monday morning to try with him.

I was unable to duplicate the sound while at coasting speeds.

·
Registered
363 Posts
You should not turn the steering wheel without the wheels rolling a little, it puts max stress on the steering mechanism.

If you have ever driven a car without power steering you would notice that it is very hard to turn the wheel if the car is not rolling, with power steering you don't realize how much energy you are commanding like that. The noise is probably the new electric power steering motor working under heavy load.

H

·
0 Posts
it sounds like very similar to problem that I'm having which I kinda gave up afterlike 6 trips to 3 different dealer(about 700miles) spending gas $$$, not having car for total of more than 2 weeks(that I had it for 3 weeks), frustration and ect. Dealing with this thing got me back on smoking again. :( Hope you would have better luck than I did and resolve the issue.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was looking at the TSB for Honda Ody and found this.. Could this provide a hint on what's going on with the cable reeling sound?

CABLE REEL POSITION THIS MAY RESULT IN A SCRAPING NOISE IN THE STEERING WHEEL COLUMN THAT PRESENTS ITSELF WHEN THE STEERING WHEEL IS TURNED. CABLE REEL WAS NOT PROPERLY POSITIONED DURING ASSEMBLY. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10010917 )

R

·
0 Posts
kendfw said:
Heard the same noise. Kinda of someone pulling a wire. Don't know what it is but I doubt it's a defect. Otherwise, we should ask our dealer or distributor to return our payment for not doing proper PDI.
I noticed this noise for the first time today as well. It sounds exactly as you describe, like a cable being pulled as it rubs against something. I've had my V6 Sport 4x4 4 weeks and 1000kms.

Note: This is entirely different than the other noise that comes from behind the dash when the brake pedal is pressed.

Rob

1 - 20 of 35 Posts