Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any help here? Really new to understanding different Steering Wheel control systems.

Can someone give me an understanding of what I'm looking for in regards to my 2015 LE? The Android head unit that I purchased has 3 wires for Steering Control. Here is what I found in their docs:

-----------------------
We provide 3 cables for the steering wheel function (GND cable, Key 1 and Key 2 cable)
- GND cable connects to negative
- Key 1 and Key 2 cables receive steering wheel button functions
The head unit produces 5V from Key 1 or 2 - grounding it closes the loop so that when you press a button on your steering wheel, the head unit detects the appropriate voltage drop and reacts to that.

Our unit is only compatible with analogue steering wheel control. If you have digital steering wheel control, you may need to use an adapter.
----------------------

My understanding is that my 2015 RAV4 LE has Steering Control through Can-Bus (correct?), which I'm assuming means that I need to convert from Can-Bus to their 5v analog system. Can anyone confirm?

If so - what Steering Wheel Control harness would work best for me? I've been referred to the following:

Crux SWRTY-61N Wiring Interface Connect a new car stereo and retain the steering wheel audio controls and backup camera in 2012-up Toyota vehicles at Crutchfield.com
(seems to only work with specific major brands - not sure it would work for my head unit)

Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

ASWC-1 [ASWC-1] Axxess Integrate, Comprehensive Interface Products

Would appreciate any guidance here. If nothing else, I'd just like to validate that I can actually convert from my RAV4 steering control buttons to this type of 5v setup.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really appreciate the info, though very new to this and still trying to make sense out of the wiring info. Just want to make sure the instructions you provided still apply to a HuiFei Android unit like the one I purchased below. Can you confirm that it probably will?

Universal 7 Inch 1024*600 Touchscreen Quad Core Android 4.4 Double Din Car Stereo GPS Navigation System support DAB+ 3G Wifi OBD2 Steering Wheel Control - Pumpkin

Here is some additional info that I found on their site:
[SWC]How to Connect and Set Up Steering Wheel Controls - PUMPKIN CAR STEREO SUPPORT CENTER

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2015 Toyota RAV4 LE. I replaced the head unit with an aftermarket one. And also I bought canbus from the same seller. It looks like yours but it's 8" screen.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1024-600-Android-4-4-4-Fit-Toyota-RAV4-2013-2014-2015-Car-DVD-Player-GPS/32332543805.html

It came with all wiring interfaces and frame. Installation is very easy, just pug in and play. I have no idea how to connect Pumpkin wires.
Excellent. Appreciate the info!

I think I can figure out the wires if I know I have the right Steering Interface. These units are similar, so I believe this gets me in the ballpark.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have an idea. Since Pumpkin unit is all most same as mine. Why don't you just contact the seller that I bought my unit from, ask them if you can buy wiring interface with canbus for $35 from them. First you can compare the back of 2 units. I think the socks on back are also same. If you can get all connectors and canbus, you even don't need wiring interface of Pumpkin unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an idea. Since Pumpkin unit is all most same as mine. Why don't you just contact the seller that I bought my unit from, ask them if you can buy wiring interface with canbus for $35 from them. First you can compare the back of 2 units. I think the socks on back are also same. If you can get all connectors and canbus, you even don't need wiring interface of Pumpkin unit.
I'll look into that. Were you also able to connect up your RAV's OEM rear camera with that harness?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'll look into that. Were you also able to connect up your RAV's OEM rear camera with that harness?
Yes, it came with all 5 connectors connect to RAV4 original plugs.

See the connection diagram above, key-1, key-2 in the picture. It may help you. But you do need a canbus.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The back of 2 units are same! I have 2 suggestions: 1. return the Pumpkin unit if you still can, and buy one like mine. There are 3 reasons to return, it is 7" screen not 8", no DVD player (I don't see it in the picture), not easy to make all function to work. 2. Just buy canbus the harness from aliexpress. Total cost of mine unit was $365. $340 for unit and $25 for canbus. I told him that the price was too high and it's his job to find any available discount for me, then he found. :))

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The back of 2 units are same! I have 2 suggestions: 1. return the Pumpkin unit if you still can, and buy one like mine. There are 3 reasons to return, it is 7" screen not 8", no DVD player (I don't see it in the picture), not easy to make all function to work. 2. Just buy canbus the harness from aliexpress. Total cost of mine unit was $365. $340 for unit and $25 for canbus. I told him that the price was too high and it's his job to find any available discount for me, then he found. :))
Probably going to stay with what I have. Your unit says it doesn't ship to the US (though I think I've found others like it - Pumpkin carries but it's out of stock), and I'll never use the DVD. I also want to start this installation tomorrow.

I think I'm pretty close right now. The RAV universal fascia kit that I bought came with some RAV harnesses that have most of the connections needed. Just trying to make sense out of the steering control (will have the ASWC1 tomorrow) and the backup camera. Your diagram makes it a little easier to visualize as connections are the same on my unit.

Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quick update:

I've been told both by Pumpkin (head unit manf) and another user that RAV4 doesn't use can-bus for SWC. Still not sure if I need an SWC controller but have one coming in, but it sounds like I may be able to wire RAV4 SWC directly - can anyone else confirm?

Regarding use of OEM Backup Cam, it sounds like I just need to add a 12v-6v stepdown converter into the power leads to use with this head unit. I have this one ordered:
Amazon.com: DROK® Waterproof High Efficiency Car Power Converter DC12V to 6V/3A Step Down Voltage Module 9-22V to 6V Power Supply: Electronics
Would appreciate confirmation if this sounds correct.

Going to start this installation later today. Appreciate both the public and private feedback I've received.

·
Registered
449 Posts
How did your installation go? Did the OEM reverse camera work with step-down transformer?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Eventually got it done - but lots of trial and error. First time I had done any type of installation like this, so wasn't used to all the connectors/harness needed. Bought a bunch of different pieces and spliced a lot together, but couldn't quite get everything working.

Once I got through to the right person on the Pumpkin team, I found out that I didn't need the step down transformer or the steering interface that I had purchased, and my current custom harness was missing some key pinouts. They had a RAV specific harness that had almost everything I needed for $17, and sent to me within a couple of days.

Was never able to get all steering controls working (still missing the phone controls and the OK button in the middle of the left 4 way pad), but has been working pretty well for me for a couple of years now. These head units aren't for everyone, but I like the control I have with it.

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You're almost there then. That's good. I'm wondering about the reverse cam connection. Does your unit use the AXXESS AX=CAM6V 12V to 6V stepdown? How did you wire it? I'm stump with this.

Axxess AX-CAM6V 12 volt to 6 volt DC-DC converter
No - the stepdown converter was absolutely not needed with the Pumpkin and the Rav.

I do remember that the Pumpkin harness did not come with the additional 24pin harness required for the backup camera access. I found one that did, but it didn't have the reverse pin, and I actually found raw pins and installed one to make that work. That was a chore. I'd have to look through all the details if you need more of an explanation.

Before I do that, though, where are you stuck? Do you have the 24pin harness? Have you traced through to validated you have all the pins needed?

Let me know and I'll look up my old emails to see if I can validate anything for you.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks @rad3d , I have not begin anything yet. Just looking/sourcing wiring harness and stuffs to see what's involved and if it's beyond my DIY skills. Also valuating if a headunit change is worthwhile for my XLE Hybrid. Wife drives the car too and backup camera is her must-have.
I really like the Android 10.2 inch unit and builtin Navigation and apps that comes with it and downloadable from Google Play. Presently my thought is a go for it.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/10-2-inch-replacement-car-stereo_60682997017.html?spm=a2700.8443308.0.0.pM6HPG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts