Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife calls from the road and says, "my steering wheel is off centered to the right about 20 degrees", "Did you do something?". My first question was is it just road crown, and did you hit something. She answered no to both of them. I did not think much of it till I drove the car this weekend. The steering wheel is noticeably off centered. Looked around underneath and everything looked fine. Did about 500 miles and kept an eye on the tire wear and it looks fine. Car does not pull one side or the other. Alignment seems fine.

I did a search and this is not a common occurrence. There is some very slight sidewall marks, like it might have been curbed, but not enough to affect the steering wheel position. It seems like the steering simply "slipped". My kids where in the car playing, could they have cranked on the steering wheel hard enough to slip a spine on the steering yoke? Another cause that I have experienced on older cars is the steering rack bushings rotting out and slipping in the clamp.

Anyone have input to this topic. I know I can make an adjustment to my tie rods and "toe over" till it is centered. I think that I will get an alignment soon, but want to address the root cause so that it does not happen again after my alignment.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
I suppose it's possible that kids wrenching on the wheel could have caused it to slip, but normally that shouldn't happen. You need to get this fixed because the steering angle sensor is an important part of the stability control system.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Wife calls from the road and says, "my steering wheel is off centered to the right about 20 degrees", "Did you do something?". My first question was is it just road crown, and did you hit something. She answered no to both of them. I did not think much of it till I drove the car this weekend. The steering wheel is noticeably off centered. Looked around underneath and everything looked fine. Did about 500 miles and kept an eye on the tire wear and it looks fine. Car does not pull one side or the other. Alignment seems fine.

I did a search and this is not a common occurrence. There is some very slight sidewall marks, like it might have been curbed, but not enough to affect the steering wheel position. It seems like the steering simply "slipped". My kids where in the car playing, could they have cranked on the steering wheel hard enough to slip a spine on the steering yoke? Another cause that I have experienced on older cars is the steering rack bushings rotting out and slipping in the clamp.

Anyone have input to this topic. I know I can make an adjustment to my tie rods and "toe over" till it is centered. I think that I will get an alignment soon, but want to address the root cause so that it does not happen again after my alignment.
This caught my eye....."There is some very slight sidewall marks, like it might have been curbed".
Many moons ago, in the time of the "Cutlass Calais Quad 4", wife comes home from the Bronx, NYC. I notice coolant leaking. I look underneath and see lots of damage. What happened, I ask? Nothing. Oh wait, think I hit a pothole or something.
About $1k later....radiator, radiator support, one strut broke(replace 2 of course) and one cracked cast aluminum oil pan.0:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts