Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I just picked up a 2000 toyota rav4 on the cheap to drive for the winter, I've never owned anything but general motors trucks so this world is entirely new to me. I had to replace a front wheel bearing and a caliper on the driver side and after quite the struggle with the odd design its all done, but it seems like my steering wheel is now off from center when driving straight for some reason, could something I did while taking the front end apart for that repair have done this? It just doesn't make sense to me how that could happen. I just took the knuckle off that side and disconnected everything from it, changed the bearing and reinstalled

·
Registered
432 Posts
Welcome, did you remove the track rod end, if so did you remove it from the ball joint, ok if you did but if you removed it from the adjuster end then maybe you didn't put it back in the exact same position. otherwise, and this is a long shot, how bad was the wheel bearing and is it possible that the tracking/wheel alignment was set when the bearing was bad and maybe had excessive play in it, if so then correcting the play with a new bearing could maybe put the wheel out slightly......I did say it was a long shot!
Is the bottom swivel bearing good?
Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome, did you remove the track rod end, if so did you remove it from the ball joint, ok if you did but if you removed it from the adjuster end then maybe you didn't put it back in the exact same position. otherwise, and this is a long shot, how bad was the wheel bearing and is it possible that the tracking/wheel alignment was set when the bearing was bad and maybe had excessive play in it, if so then correcting the play with a new bearing could maybe put the wheel out slightly......I did say it was a long shot!
Is the bottom swivel bearing good?
Good luck!
I did remove the tie rod from the knuckle, just zipped the nut off and popped it out, and the bearing wasn't gone enough to put the wheel off camber, just making noise, also the caliper was seized so thats why I did the whole job, at one point when we were putting it back together, I left the key out and the steering wheel locked, and my buddy reefed on the tie rod nut to tighten it and it was pulling on the locked steering wheel. could that have skipped the steering rack or something?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking about just pulling off the steering wheel and centering it on the splines if i can't find the real reason, I really don't have much remorse for this thing haha

·
Registered
432 Posts
Odd, I don't think you could have 'skipped' on the rack/splines, at least I hope not as it wouldn't be safe to drive if it did, I'm out of ideas, sorry, if you want to straighten the wheel I'd do it by slackening the track tod ends both sides, turn one in and the other out in equal amounts until the wheel is straight. If your worried you may throw the tracking/alignment out then mark a point on the inside of both wheels and measure it, that way you can check it when your done, it should be in line with the centre of the wheel preferably.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I finally realized what caused all this when I took a good look in the daylight at the front of the car, with the wheel straight, the passenger side front tire is straight, and the driver's side is pointing out just a bit, now after further thought on that, it must have been because the old bearing was stuck inside the spindle so bad, when we put the knuckle under a 30 ton press to push it out, it must have bent the little cast arm the tie rod end bolts to just a bit. So knowing this, I turned the tie rod out bit by bit and test drove it between adjustments and my steering wheel is now straight again :)

thanks for the suggestions guys!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes it drove perfect before the work, thats why I was so baffled how it could have went off, it had to be something simple like that. I will have to get it aligned properly when I get time

·
Registered
419 Posts
I just bought a 2000 4Runner SR5 on the weekend.
- new ball joints & inner tie rod ends plus alignment
- and my steering wheel is slightly at less than the 11:00 position
My garage friend would of pulled the steering wheel & centered the steering wheel...if I asked.

But after driving the T4R today:
- I rest my left arm on the door panel
- my left knee cap, up by the steering wheel side
- rest my left wrist across my elevated leg and steer with my thumb, wrapped on the steering wheel against on of its spokes
Its so darn comfortable, on a long hall...decided to leave the wheel put.

^^ Also I'm a GM truck guy - drive a 1998 Silverado, 2500HD, 4x4 pickup.
- likely explains a lot...LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I just bought a 2000 4Runner SR5 on the weekend.
- new ball joints & inner tie rod ends plus alignment
- and my steering wheel is slightly at less than the 11:00 position
My garage friend would of pulled the steering wheel & centered the steering wheel...if I asked.

But after driving the T4R today:
- I rest my left arm on the door panel
- my left knee cap, up by the steering wheel side
- rest my left wrist across my elevated leg and steer with my thumb, wrapped on the steering wheel against on of its spokes
Its so darn comfortable, on a long hall...decided to leave the wheel put.

^^ Also I'm a GM truck guy - drive a 1998 Silverado, 2500HD, 4x4 pickup.
- likely explains a lot...LOL
Lol yea I'm used to just bolting on a new hub and calling it a day when theres bearing noise, Never had to utilize a press on mine and my buddys GMs. This toyota is alien to me. I got a lifted 07 colorado z71 4x4 and a 08 sierra 1500 CC 4x4, this thing I just want to drive for the winter to keep the trucks pretty and save some gas

After the work I did on this side of the car I still have bearing noise so I guess its the other side next. at least it should go much smoother this time around. Also my brake pads that are pretty much new from the guy before me are glazed on the side I just repaired because of that seized caliper so I got a scraping noise on that side sometimes. Is there anything else in the front end drive line that could make a howling noise like a bearing being gone before I replace another wheel bearing? the noise is quite loud at higher speeds and driving for longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts