Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having steering issues with my 2008 RAV4 Sport V6. Upon startup, the steering wheel will only turn the wheels part way, both to the left and right. The wheel will not turn past this point even with great effort. This is an periodic/intermittent problem. I understand the vehicle has electronic power steering (EPS). Has anyone had this issue and gotten a resolution? Thank you.

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
Welcome! Does this problem happen only upon startup, but after that do the wheels steer as they normally should?

·
Super Moderator
10,613 Posts
Agreed, the battery could be the issue. It would be at it's weakest right after startup. That could be easily diagnosed by revving the engine in Neutral and repeating the test.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First I've ever heard of this but a battery that's not up to par can cause all kinds of problems.
I'd check that first. Read this:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-...tery-causes-slow-starting-other-problems.html
As suggested, I got the battery checked and it indicated "bad battery" (540 amps), even though battery is less than 3 years old. I went ahead and replaced it and so far so good. I'll report back when I'm confident that the steering problem was resolved. Thanks very much for your input.

·
Super Moderator
11,234 Posts
We're all here to help. I hope it was just that simple. Batteries just ain't what they used to be. There is a thread about that also. Three years, or less, is the lifespan in the heat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts