Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Rav4 sport automatic 1AZ-FSE
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

We just upgraded our 1999 1.gen Rav4 to a 2006 model Rav (4.3).
It's a great upgrade and a great car for sure, but I'm wondering if the steering wheel from the facelift version would fit?

It looks a lot nicer, a bit thicker and has some more controls.

Our current car is a base model, steering wheel has audio controls but nothing more (non JBL).
I've already got a android based headunit on the way to replace the stock CD/FM headunit.

Any tips would be great!

I would guess the wheel itself would fit (the splines), but I'm unsure if the electronic connections would fit?

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
By "upgraded our 1999 Rav4 to a 2006 model" you mean you sold it and bought a 2006, correct?

By "I'm wondering if the steering wheel from the facelift version would fit?" do you mean one from a Limited like you've pictured or one from a 2009-2011 which would be the facelifted version?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. Sorry if I was a bit unclear. We bought a 2006 Rav4 1AZ-FSE auto a few days ago. Still have the 1.gen Rav4, but it will be up for sale soon. So the only thing I don't like is the steering wheel, and I've found a brand new one with new airbag for sale locally like the one pictured above.

So technically what I can tell so far looking at Toyodiy and comparing part numbers is that the Rav4 uses the same Spiral Cable Clock spring from 2006-2012 with part number: 84306-48030 , there is another version without any audio capability, but our car already has audio controls so there should be no need to change it.

So this tells me that we should be able to fit the steering wheel (commonly found in 2010+ models in Norway), and plug it in to our 2006 car no problems.

Since our 2006 model only has a basic CD/FM radio, we are upgrading it to the player pictured above, it's a plug and play android unit, made to fit the 2006-2012 Rav4 without cutting into the harness. The android has a programming function, so I'm hoping that all the buttons on the new steering wheel should be able to be programmed as well.

The only thing that would not work is the cruise control stick on the new wheel, but I might just remove it and make a blanking plate so that its not there at all.

Any info on my suggestions to tell me if I'm wrong or right would be great.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Headunit was sold by a Norwegian company that no longer exists, so I dont think you will find the exact same one anywhere.

Anyways, here is an update:

The facelift steeringwheel is a plug and play upgrade for anyone who wants to upgrade their look and feel. Wheel looks a lot better (imho) and is a bit thicker and nicer to hold around.

As long as your steeringwheel previously had any buttons at all (example audio control) the new wheel will be a direct fit.

I removed my negative battery terminal, and simply removed the old wheel, and replaced the new one. Make sure to use a bit of thread locker on the nut holding the wheel when doing this conversion for that peace of mind.

Also im glad to report that if you are using an aftermarket stereo any additional buttons that the wheel has also will work and be configurable with your aftermarket headunit. In my case we allready had volume controls, but now we also have buttons to answer calls.

Only thing that does not work is of course the buttons behind the steeringwheel to upshift/downshift. And I also removed the cruise control handle, it will plug in, but I would be highly unlikely to actually do something. This also might be something that you can retrofit somehow, but its not of interest to us now.

As always, do this at your own risk, I will not be responsible for anyone messing this up.
All in all: If you can get this steeringwheel complete and cheaply (as I did), its a great upgrade to the look and feel of the car :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your car does not have any controls whatsoever on the steeringwheel you need part number 84306-48030 in order to make this conversion work. If not you will not be able to make any of the buttons on the wheel work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yet another update! This one is kinda awesome to me!

The cruise control function of the Rav4.3 is completely built into (as far as I know) all Rav4.3s. I read a Russian forum post about someone adding cruise control to their Corolla just by adding the cruise control stalk and electrical connector (Установка круиз контроля — Toyota Corolla, 1.6 liter, 2008 year on DRIVE2). So I decided to try it out myself, because why not, I had the stalk from my new steering wheel, and the connector fits right into the spiral cable clock spring. It is a 100% plug and play install.

So after mounting it and connecting it i turned on my ignition, and to my great surprise a small light saying "CRUISE" lit up in the dash when i pressed the ON button on the cruise control stalk!

I went for a test drive, and gladly, cruise control is now fully operational. So for 150usd I got a brand new steering wheel, handsfree controls and cruise control!

I talked to the dealer, and they confirmed that you can add cruise control to any non cruise control car just by adding the cruise control stalk. The wiring harness is the same for all cars to save costs, and since it has an electronic throttle it will simply just work. All functions is allready built into the ecu and is just waiting to get used :)

Again; If your car does not have any controls whatsoever on the steeringwheel you need part number 84306-48030 in order to make this conversion work.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,568 Posts
Congrats! I've heard of others in Europe adding the cruise control stalk with great success. The stalk doesn't even need to be one from a RAV4. Here in N. America, cruise control is standard equipment on even the cheapest Toyotas, so we never had to do that. I don't know why Toyota is so cheap in other countries, as you said, the system is already built in, so all they are saving is the cost of the stalk.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Oh wow. This is a nice upgrade. Can you share the steering wheel part number and model year available? I would definitely consider this upgrade when I buy my replacement Rav4 09-12 here in the states. Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
Do you know if the air bags in USA model will fit that steering wheel or do I have to swap out the air bags as well?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good for all you US based Rav4 owners :) I guess it might be a great way to sell the higher trim levels in Europe? Even tough it seems weird to cut like 10usd in costs and just remove the stalk when everything else is there. Thats why I tought it would be great to have it documented as actually working here.

Thanks govtec. Its a great upgrade IMHO, and very worth it to me just for the CC alone.

Airbag is differently shaped from the 2006 steering wheel. So you will probably need both the wheel and the airbag, both are plug and play as mentioned before.
Part number for the steering wheel is: 45100-42190-B0
Airbag module is: 45100-42190-B0

In Norway/ Europe they can be found rather cheap used, but new price is about 600usd, so be warned :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks for sharing ArildM! I'm buying the steering wheel and airbag right now on eBay. Let us know if you have anymore good plug and play upgrade.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just searched on eBay in different european countries

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just got my steering wheel shipped from the UK. However, it is missing the paddle shifters. I didn't realize this when I purchased it because he only showed the pictures from the front side. Do you know if I can buy a blank spacer to plug it up from Toyota? Thanks

IMG_8185.JPG IMG_8814.JPG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts