Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited V6 Limited GSA33W (Raiju)
21 Posts
I picked up a Kouki Vanguard wheel from Japan out of a 2011 ACA38W 240S.

The plan is later to make the paddles function, the paddles are designed for 240S Vanguard's equipped with the CVT transmission but research suggests any Toyota transmission that is electronically controlled can use the paddle shifters.

These wheels were sold in the USA and Canada in 2009-14 Corolla's and Matrix's just without the paddles and leather.

You swap your air bag igniter from your current air bag to that one. JDM air bags still are single stage not dual. The igniter is held in by 4 8mm nuts.

Ill be doing a full installation video tomorrow

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am wondering why a non-steering wheel control vehicle would need to have a new clock-spring assembly?

I have a 2007 v6 base and am desperate for some steering wheel controls, are there plugs and pins that are located on the clock spring assembly??

Also, @84hachi, if you want to let that wheel go at an attractive price, I'll buy it from you (seeing that it would probably be nice to recoup some money for the new wheel you purchased)

·
Registered
21 Posts
That was fun until the clock spring exploded. But all is well and everything works.

I'll consider selling the other wheel if you can wait a little bit until all the bugs are worked out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I needed to replace the clock spring because I get too eager sometimes and miss steps. No biggie. And its a factory flat bottomed steering wheel. Makes getting in and out easier.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Congrats. I see that the right side steering wheel control is a blank. Was that not a priority for you?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Everytime myself or my father turned left our palm would hit the call button on the old wheel and since I don't find a need to make phone calls while driving a priority. The Vanguard wheel makes the most sense. I mostly got it for the thicker grip and flat bottom.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I am not the only one? Stupid design IMO!
Yeah it is and its rather sad for the 09 and up 4.3's didn't get the redesigned wheel. But, the Corolla S (non leather) and the Matrix (smooth leather) got it instead.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That was fun until the clock spring exploded. But all is well and everything works.

I'll consider selling the other wheel if you can wait a little bit until all the bugs are worked out.
Do the paddle shifters work too? I probably won't attempt to add these to my RAV (2011 base), but I'm interested to know how they work on a car that wasn't designed to include it from the factory.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts