Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing the tweeters in my front doors, the Crutchfield guide says:

These tweeters physically fit into your vehicle's existing tweeter locations. You'll need to use backstraps, hot glue, or silicone to secure them.

Use the factory speaker brackets.

Use the factory speaker grilles.

Wondering if anyone who's done this can offer advice? What technique did you use to keep the aftermarket tweeters in place?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've done it before and it's very easy. You'll reuse the factory brackets. I used a dremel to remove the old tweeter and the new one had a large lip/ring around and it would sit inside the hole I cut. After that I used Gorilla Glue to hold the new tweeter in place. I know some guys around here suggest heating up the epoxy that holds in the original speaker but why wait. Just cut it out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My plan is to install these tweeters: JBL GTO19T 3/4" soft-dome tweeters at Crutchfield.com

And find a good mid-range speaker to complement them. Still searching. I like to use Crutchfield to filter out the ones that'll fit, though none of their tweeters will fit without modification of the factory bracket.

Black Friday is coming up...it's time to upgrade to a better sound system!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Interested also, what brand component speakers are you looking at with tweeters that say they'll fit?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
They are Alpine 610-C I believe. Not happy with them at all. They are very harsh and the mid range doesn't cut through enough. You should be able to hear the "crunch" of a good guitar tone but at loud volumes all that comes through is cymbals and vocals. Just a heads up, stay away from the Aplines.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm new to this forum. Not sure if this will help out at all but I recently purchased a 2012 Rav4 and decided to install some of my audio gear from the old car to this one, including some additional new gear to complete the setup. I was asked to detail the installation from a company I bought some gear from because they normally focus on other Toyota vehicles and don't have any write ups for the Rav4.

This is what I did for the tweeter portion. My vehicle is non-JBL, and I installed Type R Alpine separates in the front and Type R coax in the rear. I try to keep everything as stock looking as possible while also being minimally invasive, for this setup everything must be returnable to stock if need be and nothing aftermarket visible to the naked eye. With the tweeters and being able to return to stock I made an exception though and used the stock bracket destroying the original tweeters in the process (I kept all the factory speakers and left all factory harnesses in place). I'll either purchase OEM tweeters if I sell the vehicle or leave the Alpines and crossovers in place.

The factory tweeter is held to the bracket with a few tabs and then dabbed with epoxy style adhesive to insure it doesn't pop out.

It takes some patience, I didn't want to destroy the bracket on accident or slip and cut myself (done that too many times in the past already). But by slowly sinking the blade in and working back and forth it actually comes apart pretty easily.

With the OEM tweeter removed I spent some time figuring out how I was going to mount the Alpine tweeter into the factory space. The Alpine tweeter itself almost fit into the factory hole without any of the mounting hardware that came with them. I thought about epoxying it into place. Alpine like most other manufacturers supplies various mounting options and test fitting some things I realized that the Alpine flush mount would drop perfectly into the Toyota bracket if I widened the factory hole to the next structural ring there. After some clipping and sanding I ended up with this, a nice sturdy factory bracket.

The Alpine flush mount sits perfectly, a very welcome happenstance. It fits against that structural ring snugly and the flange fits flush without having to modify anything. I was even able to keep the factory foam door panel sealer in place without having to mess with replacing it.

This is the finished result with the Alpine tweeter snapped into the flush mount and the backing ring screwed in as tight as I could to the factory Toyota bracket. I didn't use anything on the plastic threads of the Alpine mount when sandwiching it to the bracket or add any additional adhesive from the mount to the bracket but I probably could have. Partly I just wanted to make sure I could always unscrew it down the road and partly just because it seemed snug enough without needing anything else added to it.

Once I had the this finished and the rest of the door completed (sound damping, running new wiring from Alpine crossover, installed speaker brackets, foam gasket, and woofers, etc) I screwed these brackets back in and test fitted the panel. I was worried the tweeter might be hitting the door panel since the factory tweeter was recessed but it worked out. I angled the tweeter a bit and reconnected the switches and door panel.

Hope this helps.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Excellent first post, IEDesign! Welcome to RAV4World!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts