Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any stock Toyota amplifier could be added to the 1999 Rav4 to upgrade the stereo. I don't want to change the head unit as I live in the Bronx, NYC, but I do want to use better speakers and get better sound. I have a pair of Boston Rally 6.5" I would like to install in the front doors, but they are rated at 40W RMS and I doubt the head unit could power them. I have the stock tape HU with CD controls and the single disc CD player. I've alread spent way too much time and money fixing/modding this and my other car and would really like a factory plug and play solution. I would appreciate any suggestions. I really don't want to use a line/level convertor and add an aftermarket amp as this would be conducive to me start adding subwoofers and more stuff to the car... which I really shouldn't do. :)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Toyota didnt include an external amp in any of their cars, they use the built-in amp thats in the headunit, instead of having to add an entire seperate unit. Maybe for the exception of cars that came with an optional subwoofer, but that would most likely be a mono channel amp, not usable with normal woofers.

Id say just get a new one, or buy a multi-channel amp and moutn it under one of the front seats so its out of view. You should also look aroudn at alot of the newer headunits, youd be surprized abotu the kinda security features they put into them. Thing such as removalbe faces (which make the rest of the unit worthless), hidden faces (which make it look as if its just a plastic panel covering up the hoel for the headunit), some can even lock them selves into the dash, and some even come with a full car alarm.

Pioneer is comming out with some relativly cheap (100-150$) headunits that push 30-50watts RMS. Id say maybe look at them. Or you could be cool like me and get a JVC KD-LH810 and you can put a video of the RAV4 on it as your screensaver :twisted: lol

·
Registered
654 Posts
i just replaced my headunit and i must say wow
havent replaced the factory speakers yet but it sounds like night and day with the new headunit

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have just installed a Pioneer CD/MP3/WMA player into my '96' Rav,only £129 and 4x50 watts output,sounds very nice :) .Looks great and removeable face plate :wink:

·
Registered
654 Posts
just replaced the factory speakers today with boston s65s all around
sounds great!!!
only problem i came into was its a 1998 and the rears are actually 5.25s so i had to cut the holes slightly larger to fit
but all in all i am so happy!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Just installed the Kenwood 6433 DVD player, very nice unit, many adjustments. The speakers proved to be a pain in the A$$ though! I will need to use an MDF board and make my own adapters! The adapters I had ordered from e-bay were too small, even though the guy said they would be good to the RAV4 :( Any way, it was a pain to fit the head unit, so I expect the same for the speakers.....

·
Registered
957 Posts
The Clarion SRV303 self-powered subwoofer fits under the driver's seat of my 2000, and adds nicely to the low end. Sellers on eBay let them go for around $130, plus shipping.

I went with Kenwood for the head unit and four speakers. Crutchfield and Cardomain have good model-specific sizing/selection functions on their websites. Less than $200 for mine, and sounds good!

Sold the factory speakers and head unit on eBay ...

·
Registered
302 Posts
I just replaced all four speakers in my 2000 with Sony X Plod series .
I know they aren't the best to use but they were on sale and worked out to only $30 each .
The stockers were getting so bad that I had to turn the bass setting down to level 1 just to make out what the DJ or commercials were saying .
They sound better but I'm sure the stock HU is not pushing them any where near their potential .
One problem I am having is buzzing from the cladding around the speaker grill area .
I put a couple of layers of electrical tape between the speakers and the metal panels but the buzzing cladding is really getting annoying .
Has this happened to any of you and if so , how did you cure it ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts