Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been waiting for my sales associate David Thornton, to find a car for me for almost two months. He called me the other day, to tell me the my RAV4 is 15 days away from getting a VIN.

I told David, finally you have a car for me. And now we need to talk about price. He was stuck on MSRP. I told David, that I'll then be canceling my order and I'll come to pickup my deposit check sometime this week.

I went there today, and he was out with another customer on a test drive. I asked is he the only person that i can get my check from. I was speaking to the director of sales for Sterling McCall. His name is Tobias. Tobias, Called david, and my check was locked in david's desk. I needed to get back to work. So I told tobias, that I'll just come back later and get my check. Tobias, was trying to chat with me at the time because he saw my name badge. I work for Radio Shack. I tell Tobias, that David lost my sale to another dealership, sorry! He then tells me is a really smug way, that yeah Radio Shack sucks anyway, And you'll are overpriced and He would rather go to best buy. He was not saying it in a jokingly manner. He was attacking me verbally because he just lost my business.

I 'm going to make a formal complaint to the GM of Sterling Mcall on monday. His name is Ron Schwartz.

I'll never do business with sterling mccall again. I will never recommend them to anyone... And I want this message to go to the highest executive levels of management in toyota. I want Tobias, Formally written up... upto his dismissal or demotion! People like Tobias, should not be in the position he holds. I still want a rav4 v6 black limited. Sunroof, side airbags, JBL, and tint. How can you help me find a dealer that will treat me right!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, that sounds like horrible customer service! That is no way to treat people in a service industry. I hope you get the response you have requested.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you ever get your check back? If you're in CO, I can recommend you a couple decent Toyota dealerships. Sorry to hear about your situation...very rude!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think Omega got a deal at OKC. Fly Southwest, it's not that expensive to get OKC from Houston. I thought I read somewhere on a Edmunds forum, someone from Houston got a real deal. A couple hundreds below invoice too. Dallas is no better except two dealerships. Lots available but very difficult to find one with side airbag.

Good luck..

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lkwan said:
I've been waiting for my sales associate David Thornton, to find a car for me for almost two months. He called me the other day, to tell me the my RAV4 is 15 days away from getting a VIN.

I told David, finally you have a car for me. And now we need to talk about price. He was stuck on MSRP. I told David, that I'll then be canceling my order and I'll come to pickup my deposit check sometime this week.

I went there today, and he was out with another customer on a test drive. I asked is he the only person that i can get my check from. I was speaking to the director of sales for Sterling McCall. His name is Tobias. Tobias, Called david, and my check was locked in david's desk. I needed to get back to work. So I told tobias, that I'll just come back later and get my check. Tobias, was trying to chat with me at the time because he saw my name badge. I work for Radio Shack. I tell Tobias, that David lost my sale to another dealership, sorry! He then tells me is a really smug way, that yeah Radio Shack sucks anyway, And you'll are overpriced and He would rather go to best buy. He was not saying it in a jokingly manner. He was attacking me verbally because he just lost my business.

I 'm going to make a formal complaint to the GM of Sterling Mcall on monday. His name is Ron Schwartz.

I'll never do business with sterling mccall again. I will never recommend them to anyone... And I want this message to go to the highest executive levels of management in toyota. I want Tobias, Formally written up... upto his dismissal or demotion! People like Tobias, should not be in the position he holds. I still want a RAV4 v6 black limited. Sunroof, side airbags, JBL, and tint. How can you help me find a dealer that will treat me right!
hahahaha. Sorry, I find it hillarious.

So, he told you exactly what you were telling him, and you found it so offensive? :).

You were trying to bully them into giving you lower price, which is not always pleasant. Imagine someone ordering something from radio shack you work in, and you call him up... He storms in and asks for discount, or he will go to the Best Buy and never reccomend Radio Shack to anyone.

It is not always pleasant experience for car salesmen, they are just people like you or me. I am sure you would be outraged in Radio Shack and it would be story told for weeks.

Why people think car salesman are any different is beyond me....

·
Registered
652 Posts
spwolfx said:
hahahaha. Sorry, I find it hillarious.
Let's not get carried away here. I don't see how it could be hillarious. :?

The reason people think salesman are different is because they are. They are taught (most of them) to be forceful, pushy, manipulative and to control the situation. I dealt with an arrogant manager when searching for mine. I had just asked one question. When he showed me the MSRP price and i asked how much was he gonna come down he got arrogant like he was doing me a favor. I said thank you I'll shop around and walked out. He could have easily explained the supply and demand crap and politely said he wasn't coming down.

I've bought many cars and have come across a wide array of salesman. Some are @ssholes and some are just fine like the one I finally purchased from.

Your comparison to Radio Shack is ridiculous. Cars are a commondity which are meant to be bargined for. Do you pay MSRP for cars or the asking price for a home?

Maybe this will help you figure out why salesman are different since it is "beyond you".

I'm not defending spwolfx because I don't know all the details of his interaction. 2 months for the car he is looking for seems very long expecially if it's not leather. spwolfx mistake was not getting the price settled on before he handed over a dime and the dealer started looking.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still think it is funny - he came in to bully the salesman into giving him lower price - now, I am pretty sure they talked abour price before he put down deposit for the car, who would not?

Nevertheless, its not the point. Manager told him he never goes to radio shack because best buy is cheaper - exactly what he was telling him.

A lot of customers are bigger bullies than car salesmen, nevertheless, you still have smile and nod your head.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is nothing funny about this, and unfortunately this attitude is very common with the dealers that sell a real good stuff.
If you put emotions aside, however, everything comes down to the supply/demand relation. Toyota as a car manufacturer does not really care about how nice or ugly the people who sell their product are, because it basically sells itself.
Fortunately the internet deals are becoming more common, so the people who don’t like to face the parasites from the sales departments don’t have to. Although, from my observations, quite a few buyers are really enjoying the whole process of haggling and playing mind games with the salespeople (sort of like a sports competition).
So let’s look at this crap as the little additional price to pay for a great vehicle.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You know, all previous eight posters have a valid point. Except the "holier than thou" writer. He's obviously in the business of selling something maybe not cars. And to imply car sales people are just like you and I, and to make a trivial comparison between Radio shack and Best Buy is just plain ludicrious. The car industry is different. Everything is negotiable. The question is how sucessfull are you at it. The whole point of the Ilkwans entry is he didn't get his price, and now he's teeed off. If he gave a deposit there was a contract, what was the price at the outset? Who signs a blank contract today? I don't know of any dealer that charges a deposit just to locate a car. It appears that Ilkwan was played by the dealer. And THAT"S why they are different from you and I. The average consumer buys a new car once every seven years. They play their game every day with the consumers. No wonder they have a rotten reputation. The sooner people realize that they are only a $ sign when they walk into a dealership, will they start to be treated fairly and get the respect we deserve.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Inlets wrote:
The sooner people realize that they are only a $ sign when they walk into a dealership, will they start to be treated fairly and get the respect we deserve.
My man Inlets - well said!! 8)
You 've got the right perspective on car salesmen - they are trained from the start to read your psyche and get right to the bottom of your wallet/pockets/checkbook!! :evil:

OC

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was once asked if I would like to renegotiate my deal when I was insisting the salesperson to give me a definite cutoff date of delivery. I agreed and took my deposit with me. They're supposed to call me when they could locate my dream vehicle and it has been more than 2 months past and I didn't get a call. The other instance, I asked the dealership to refund a state inspection because the vehicle inspection was done at the distribution. Thus, the price should have included and in addition, we're negotiating on invoice price term. He told me that would be fine if I would pay him the MSRP.

Bottom line, walk away from such a deal if you're not been treated nicely. The reason why we're being treated so badly has a lot to do with us. Many of us walked into dealerships begging for a vehicle. A car practically sells itself if it's a product that you really wanted. That's why we've a loaded useless options on our Rav4. If you don't buy from them, there is readily another potential buyer waiting for it. True... it will sit there for a couple more weeks but hey the next customer is willing to pay that price. Equation ... supply + demand = price.

Now, look from the other side of business... literally every night you could hear cash back + massive discount, yet nobody flocking to that dealership to get a real good deal. I'm sure you'll be treated very well if you go there. I wish there are Fitzmall and no independent distributors. As long as Toyota is achieving its sales target, it's not going to change the landscape. If those distributors and dealerships are hampering Toyota's sales target, you bet it will step in and fix it. By then it's not about bad dealerships or distributors but BAD Product offerings.

My advice... go to dealerships and tell them what you're looking for. Go home and wait for them to give you the best offer. If everyone does like me, I'm sure we'll get treated nicely. Reasoning is simple... they need to make sales to survive!!!! Their salary depends on completed deals.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone know where to get a good deal in the Houston area? I am wanting to trade my Titan.

·
Registered
656 Posts
NEVER, EVER do business with Sterling McCall. I've had nothing but bad experiences from them. Because they are close to me, we went there to test drive the RAV. They of course tried to sell me one they had in stock that did not have the features we wanted. When we told them exactly what we wanted they said it was not available in our area and would have to be ordered from the factory. The next day I contacted Ulysses Price (internet sales manager) at Mike Calvert Toyota and told him what I was looking for. He had the RAV we wanted within 2 days at his dealership without asking for a down payment or any assurance that I was going to buy from him. Gave me a great price also. MC is a very professional and clean place. The complete opposite of SM. Found out SM will not even look at what might be available from other Toyota area dealerships. They only deal with other SM dealerships.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would be willing to sell my '06 Limited, barcelona red, V6, 3rd seats, tow package, cloth interior, dual air system and 4300 miles.
Houston area.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
inlets said:
What's dual air system :?:
Limited has a dual-zone temperature system so that passenger can select a different temperature than the driver. Works nice! :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks but no thanks we are looking for a silver I4 Sport.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ah... of course DUAL ZONE air not dual air, makes quite a difference. Thought there RAV4fun had something I didn't. Dual air usually implies one a/c in the front and one in the extreame back like in the really big suv's

1 - 19 of 19 Posts