Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife couldnt get the shift stick out of park of our 97-Rav4(auto,awd).She had the car running but couldnt go from park to drive(even after applying the brake)She eventually got it out of park after pushing the button on the stickshift many times.My question is ,why did it stick? The manual says to push down the shift lock overdrive button.But the manual tells you to go to Toyota ASAP if this happens.Any support would be appreciated, as this has only happened once.

·
Registered
986 Posts
As funny as this sounds, check to make sure all of the tail/brake lights are working correctly. The shift interlock works off the brake pedal switch, and I've heard of instances where a burned out bulb or short in the brake light wiring has caused the shift interlock to not function properly. Also, check the switch on the brake pedal to make sure it is working correctly.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I would try to help you but I have a manual transmission and thus do not know how to check the interlock switch.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Isn't there a little plastic thingy on the console beside the stick, near park pos'n, that you pop up to access another thing to release the shifter...........same on 4.1 and 4.2..... or am I dreaming?? :?

Never had it happen but I think I remember it in my ol' '98 manual, but I'll have another look in the '05 manual to see if I can find it....

Hey Jeff......I can see what you're saying happening!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hey Rockitman
Did you find the shift lock override button.......just remembered and had a look in my owners manual and the writeup is in there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
HELP!!

So stupid of me... I think I shorted the wires out...

I had the same problem as the message thread here. My car can't move from PARK. I am currently trying to sell some parts, so I wanted to include the wiring harness for the taillights I was selling. Though now that I think about it, I didn't disconnect the battery and quite possibly, I shorted the wires out. Now the taillights aren't working, the dash light isn't working, same with the AC / Heater panel... What can I do to fix this? I checked the fuses inside the car - on the driver's side and they seem to be fine. Is this something I can fix on my own? I think I'm in deep $h!t..... SOMEONE HEEEELP................................. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
779 Posts
This definitely sounds like a fuse...perhaps also the one affecting the solenoid that stops you shifting from Park without pressing the brake. Have you checked all the fuse locations i.e. 1) under the hood/bonnet and 2) down by the steering wheel?

The fuses under the hood are located in a small black box near the air filter (a big black box). When I fused my interior light I needed to change a fuse in there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
thanks for reply

Hey Ian. Yes, I think I checked... but briefly... until reading these threads, I really didn't think this was a fuse issue...

I briefly checked the fuses I thought it would be related to.

I guess it makes sence... I'm going to check every damn fuse - the obvious ones first. I sure hope this will do it....

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Re: thanks for reply

416RAV said:
Hey Ian. Yes, I think I checked... but briefly... until reading these threads, I really didn't think this was a fuse issue...

I briefly checked the fuses I thought it would be related to.

I guess it makes sence... I'm going to check every damn fuse - the obvious ones first. I sure hope this will do it....
ok borther both of you have a burn fuse you need to replace fuse that is blown and everything should work correct check all fuses it should be the fuse that says brake or tail lights

·
Registered
53 Posts
FIXED~~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Ian, franco...
I feel so stupid... :oops:
Really appreciate the help. Now I can go back to including the wiring harness in the auction.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.