Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your advice.
I'm very happy that I just bought a 97 RAV4 today. Got a decent price on it and can't wait to take it camping and for road trips.

However, there is a slight issue.
The 5th gear is very sticky and hard to release.
There's no major issues with the other gears and I have no issues engaging the gears. Only disengaging. Especially the 5th gear. 2nd gear is lightly sticky sometimes.

I did a test while the engine is off, but it has the same issues.
Basically, I have to do a quick pull (with some strength) to get it out of the fifth gear.

Everything else drives fine with no clutch slippage or "popping" out of any gears.
I hope it could be a simple fix or maybe just needing some fresh and proper gear oil. I purchased it late at night so I haven't had time or daylight to inspect deeper.

Some help or direction would be great for me.
Thanks again in advance and thanks everyone for sharing their experiences with their 4.1 RAV4s.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It may be the clutch, you can adjust the pedal from inside the car, at the top of the pedal, if it's releasing close to floor try adjusting it so it releases higher and hence allows the selector fork to move the gears a little easier.
I changed the oil in mine and included an additive, (moly slip), it definitely improved changes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the quick responses!
I'll take a look at those advices that you guys gave and hope it'll fix the issue.

It's definately not popping out of 5th gear.
It's stuck in the gear. I should have tried pumping the clutch last night while driving home, but I didn't get a chance yet.

Thanks again.. I'll try to update later this week .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It may be the clutch, you can adjust the pedal from inside the car, at the top of the pedal, if it's releasing close to floor try adjusting it so it releases higher and hence allows the selector fork to move the gears a little easier.
I changed the oil in mine and included an additive, (moly slip), it definitely improved changes.

Hi, can you please give me some guidance on what area or part I need to adjust?
I took a look at the clutch pedal last night but not sure what screw or nut I would need to adjust.
I took some pics too.
Thanks again

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
The pic doesn't show or I can't see the adjuster, from memory I think you need two 10mm spanners, there's a lock nut and an adjuster nut, feel with your fingers the push rod from the clutch master cylinder coming through the firewall, on the end where it connects to the pedal there's a pivot with a nut either side of it, slacken the nut that's easiest to get at, now adjust one of the nuts so the pedal moves higher, this will give you more clutch travel, if you go too high it will be uncomfortable to drive so try it a little at a time, when the bite point feels right then tighten the locknut and try changing gears, you may need to go this a couple of times until it's right for you. The Haynes manual has the approximate amount of free play there should be in the pedal but I don't have a manual or my car with me.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm still wondering what it might be.
When the engine is off, I can easily engage the gears. However, fifth gear sticks still.
I'm starting to pay attention more and the 2nd gear kinda sticks too. Just not as much as the 5th.
I went to a shop today to ask them if they had any clues, but they didn't seem to have had any experiences with that, so I didn't want to waste money to have them guess and try to figure it out.
Hope someone out here had something similar so I can use that as a base starting point to have someone fix it.
Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts