Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every other car I've ever owned, when in cruise control and you touch the brake pedal the tiniest bit it cancels the cruise. Occasionally when I touch the brake to cancel cruise on our RAV it does nothing and takes what seems like a fair amount of push to get it to cancel. I haven't determined the exact driving conditions that cause it but when it does you go WHAT THE? Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
No. Actually mine disengages with only the slightest press. Maybe your brake switch is misaligned?
How far do you have to press the pedal before the brake lights come on when parked? I would assume it uses the same switch.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
I just pull the cruise stalk towards the steering wheel to cancel cruise, cruise stays on, just not set, just like hitting the brake pedal, but the brakes aren't activated. Just an FYI, my 2006 4.3 V6 would actually engage the brakes and slow down doing the same if the stalk is held towards the wheel as opposed to lifted and released.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No. Actually mine disengages with only the slightest press. Maybe your brake switch is misaligned?
How far do you have to press the pedal before the brake lights come on when parked? I would assume it uses the same switch.

When it happens the pedal doesn't move down, there's resistance to moving, then with more pressure it moves and the cruise kicks off. Doesn't happen every time. Could be the brake light switch.

And yes I understand and use the stalk too but sometimes some braking is needed rather than cruise - coast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts