Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:x
I'd read the posts, found the install PDF for the factory harness & also the instructions for the Drawtite T-One harness. E-Trailer confirmed "in stock" on 5/23 so I ordered the T-one w/ my hitch. Got a confirmation on 5/23 that both items had shipped and was waiting for a fast install.
Today I get an e-mail that says the T-one is not available until July (sometime) and would I like to hardwire instead! They claim that the T-one is not available and has not been available. The T-One was $52, the generic hack into your harness and add a fuse, no guarantee we gave you enough wire etc. runs $62. Yes we think it works....
I'm not keen on scotchlocking into my new Sport LED tails at all.

3 Questions-

1. Has anyone actually received and installed the T-One? (and is e-trailer BS'ing me)

2. Should I cringe and scotchlock a generic converter in or belly up for the Toyota harness and the extra work? ( some nice folks here did give me some pointers on the connector location so at least I know I can do it now, wasn't sure w/ just the factory instructions)

3. Does anyone think Toyota ought to take care of this for those that bought tow prep (like me) and believed this would be straightforward and reasonable?

Note: Tow prep on the Escape I looked at had the hitch and wiring allready done.... It was a very decent little truck and approx $3K less, I'm starting to wonder if we made the right choice.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
RedRav said:
3. Does anyone think Toyota ought to take care of this for those that bought tow prep (like me) and believed this would be straightforward and reasonable?

Note: Tow prep on the Escape I looked at had the hitch and wiring allready done.... It was a very decent little truck and approx $3K less, I'm starting to wonder if we made the right choice.
I agree with you on #3. A tow prep package should INCLUDE trailer wiring harness/plug... or at least simple access to a plug and play system :evil:

One of my brother-in-laws owns an Escape. He'd tell you... you made the right choice getting a RAV4 :lol:

·
Registered
227 Posts
RedRav said:
3 Questions-

1. Has anyone actually received and installed the T-One? (and is e-trailer BS'ing me)

2. Should I cringe and scotchlock a generic converter in or belly up for the Toyota harness and the extra work? ( some nice folks here did give me some pointers on the connector location so at least I know I can do it now, wasn't sure w/ just the factory instructions)

1. I've had good luck with ordering from e-trailer. I went with the OEM wiring package because I couldn't locate the T-One. (Like 90% of the Toyota RAV4 06 parts I'm looking to purchase, it is either "in development" or "on back order").

2. I don't have the technical background to answer this question.

3. Yes. I am disappointed in Toyota as well with this wiring set-up. With my 03 Highlander, the towing harness was a 5 minute plug-in module. If I didn't witness the Toyota Technician spending 2 hours cursing while installing the RAV4 towing harness, I would of thought my dealer was taking advantage of me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got the same email about the availability of the harness so I cancelled and am going to get the OEM harness. The install doesn't look to hard it was more about the cost than anything.

Personally I wouldn't cut into the lights with those scotch-lock connectors, I think your just looking for trouble down the road with that set up.

I did send an email to the manufacture of the t-connectors and they said it would be 3-4 weeks before they would be shipping them to their distributors, that was last week. So I guess you can put your own time frame on it, but I can't wait any longer hopefully the toyota one isn't on back order.

Tim

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks I went ahead and ordered it so hopefully I will have it in hand by early next week and installed by the next weekend. I'll post on my results.

Tim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back to Toyota Harness

After a bit of complaining I was able to get my dealer to order the Toyota harness & send it express to me w/ no shipping cost. $112 (must be the "bottom line" where they still make a buck). I'm supposed to have it early next week but am getting nervous since I have a camper club meet next weekend!

Installed my Hidden Hitch last night. About 20 minutes including bending the bracket some to get the bolts lined up.

The underside of the Rav is scary, not only is there no undercoating, the paint is but a mist.... Think I'll have to do something about that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts