Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Stiffer coil springs for rear and good suspension

336 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  RevyRav
I have a 2008 Rav4 Ltd V6 4WD with 3rd row, I am using my car to carry 4 bikes and the bike rack itself weigh 100lb, 50lb for Tow Hitch and around 100lb for bikes, so additional 250lb weight all the time. I want a stiffer rear coil spring to reduce the sag and the bike rack scrapes the road surface when there are dips in the road and getting on the driveway. Any recommendations?
Additionally, looking for recommendation for rear suspension, I replaced OEM with Bilstein which worked good for a couple of years and then it leaked.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
307 Posts
Do a search there are some good posts about this. If you want the absolute stiffest rear springs, Lexus NX300h

· Registered
4,846 Posts
The Moog 81747 is what I recommend for you. It will provide similar performance as the Toyota third row spring at a much lower price. See this thread.

Buy from here: 2008 TOYOTA RAV4 2.4L L4 Coil Spring | RockAuto

For shocks either KYB or Toyota for the rear. I have the Sport model with the Sport shocks and it is firmer than the regular ones. Prices for factory shocks are competitive vs aftermarket and you will find lower prices online instead of going to the dealer directly.

· Registered
28 Posts
I don’t think the Bilsteins you had prematurely died per se, you just need more spring stiffness. Probably literally any shock would be fine overall. The B6 is maybe better for more weight but you have lots of extra so anything will get worked, and the reality I suspect is you need more spring resistance just as you summized.

Northwoods offers an air spring kit for not much. Their metal springs are also much more progressive after 10% squish so you won’t work the shocks so hard. The MOOG recommendation is probably worth wild as well, anything over stock/KYB springs. The OEM sport ones are a little too linear IMO; they may be stiffer but they continually compress so confidence decreases the longer you’re into the corner and they’d still work your loaded shocks a lot more.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts