Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all you folks who are still waiting for delivery and fustraited with the process. Me too. Here is an update on my situation.

I started the search on April 4. After about 7 dealerships I narrowed it down to two who gave about the same deal off MSRP (8.5 - 9.5% off) and offered a fair price for my trade in. I would but from whoever got the vehicle first, but did not tell them that. On May 4 one dealer called and said they have what wanted but had to swap with another dealer. I went down to the showroom and gave a $500.00 check to hold it. I was told the RAV4 they had to swap for the one I wanted should be in the next day and I should have mine on May6. Today is May 17.

I was in contact with my salesman last week and he said it had not come in and was fustraited with the process. He said they changed the Port of entry from Portland to Seattle and that was slowing things down. I emailed him on May 16 to get an update and have not heard back as yet. Usually he gets right back to me. Of course he may have been out yesterday.

So, it seems to be the same with many of us. I shared this so others can see it is not unusual. I still don't buy the story that the dealership does not really know when to expect delivery of vehicles. That would seem like a difficult way to operate a business.

This has been my worst vehicle buying experience to date. It would have been better to know right from the start that it would take 4 -6 weeks to get a vehicle. Instead, I have been disappointed constantly and wonder what the truth is. I have also had my loan funds sitting in my bank costing me money since I was told I would be able to pick up my vehicle on May 6. If I knew the real delivery date I could have planned that better too and saved the interest. Sure it is not that many days overdue so far, but I still don't have it and don't when I will, and why waste money.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Still waiting also

I agree 100% I "ordered " mine on March 18th. I don't know why the dealers say ORDERED when that really isn't the truth. They just try and try and try to get you something close to what you want from what happens to be sitting at the port. My dealer gets a "list" of what has come in only once a week, so everytime he says "no luck this week", I have to wait another week, with no communications from him at all. What burns me is that I had one in my hands at another dealer and let it go thinking I would get this one from this dealer after a couple weeks wait and save another $300 by doing that. I can't believe that Toyota does business this way. My dealer says the V6 4WD Limiteds ARE coming, It's just a matter of time. The 07's will be available to "ORDER" soon....

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Moon RAV4,

It's crazy. I wonder if Toyota knows what games are played?

Here is today's update. My salesman emailed me this morning to say that the RAV4 he is waiting to get in to trade the other dealership for mine was "damaged in Freight". It has been repaired and should be delivered this week. He went on to say he expects me to take possesion this week.

Well, It's Wednesday afternoon and the dealerships that are swapping are about 4 hours drive apart one way. He admitted it is not in yet. I don't think for one minute that I'll have it this week. I expect late next week, if I'm lucky!

I just don't know what to believe with these guys. If something doesn't happen in a few more weeks I'll buy something else. It won't be a Toyota. I can't accept the excuse that all the problems with delivery are due to the fact that this is a hot seller. Toyota has had other hot sellers over the years and therefore they should know how to handle things and should be able to keep their customers properly informed. It's not the waiting as much as it is the misinformation and lack of follow through that drives me nuts.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feel your pain ... I've waited 5+ weeks and the dealer has absolutely nothing to tell me if and when I'm getting a V6 4WD Ltd w/ leather. Toyota is really testing my patience ... This would be my first Toyota. I considered the RAV4 back in 96 but settled for a Subaru Impreza.

·
Registered
29 Posts
re: still waiting

Well, I just stumbled onto this forum after months in the Edmunds forum. I was starting to feel like I was the only one in the same predicament.

I first put in my order on March 19th for a Limited V6 4x4 in Blizzard with all the bells and whistles and was told that it was "guaranteed" to be in in 6-8 weeks. Eight weeks and numerous followup calls later, I was told that the car configuration that I want is too hard to get. Based on what I've been reading, I'm inclined to believe that the Limited V6 4x4's are very hard to get.

In any case, they happened to have a Blizzard RAV4 come in with everything I wanted except for the leather and heated seats. Their suggestion, which was also proposed to me by a co-worker, was to have aftermarket leather put in. After checking out the quality and workmanship of their aftermarket leather, which they outsource to a 3rd party, I decided to pull the trigger. I ended up getting this car for ~$1k over the Edmunds invoice price + $1200 for leather, no heated seats. I'm sure that's not the best price I could have gotten for the leather, but I figured it was fair.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Dealer called

He said they can get a V6 4WD Limited in the color I want. The only problem is it sounds like it may still be in Japan. He said a possible 3 to 4 more weeks (it's been 8 weeks already), but he still doesn't have a firm arrival date yet.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am a new member and I have been reading these posting for almost a month now,I agree it's been so frustrating dealing with toyota.I live in seattle and I ordered my 2006 RAV4 V6 Limited 4WD Black ,Pretty much with everything except DVD package on March 20th.I have talked to the dealer several times and for some reason they can't seem to get any info from toyota on if it's built or if it even has an allocation #, pretty much they just Don't know anything!I realize being realistic ,that some of these things are out of their controll because they are made in Japan,but how long do they think I should wait?Anyway I am just venting a little,I am A first time toyota buyer also,that is if my car ever get's here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Like a previous poster had said, even if you give the dealer a deposit, you aren't really putting in "an order". All it is is they have your name down with your requirements and if a car comes up that matches, they put your name on it. It's not like they send an email to the factory to make that specific car.

That's what the frustrating part is. Every week, or in my case, every two weeks, the dealer gets an update of what hit the docks. If a car matches what you had requested, then they let you know that your car will be in in a few days. If not, it's another week's wait.

This seriously can't be the best way to run business, but that's the way they have it set up.

My dealer told me that for every 100 RAV4's they make, only 10% of those are V6's. Apparently Toyota messed up on their assessment of public interest. Demand for the V6's is much higher than the I4's so it seems. And of those 10 cars, they will come in various trim's, colors, options, etc..., so getting the exact car that you want will be difficult. That's why they say that if you are flexible on color or options, you might get your car sooner.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe we should all agree on the contents of a complaint letter and then sign and send it to Toyota headquarters with our addresses included next to our signatures. Ahh- too much work, we should all buy another brand and speak with our money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Trank,
I'm in Tacoma and am aware of the limited quanity in our area. My story, I started looking for a V6 Limited with 3rd row on April 28th, 1 day after pulling out on an '05 Pathfinder. That weekend, I emailed all of the local dealers and found 1 being allocated to Burien (Blizzard Pearl V6 Limited). Went in to negotiate the price and walked away. The next day, I went to a Tacoma dealer and had the guy search high & low. He found one being allocated to Beaverton and was told that he could re-route, but again, couldn't get it for the price I wanted. He also noted that the Beaverton dealer may not want to trade it with the high demand. So I found the Beaverton dealer, made an offer and they accepted. That was all on April 28th.
Last Thursday, the RAV was delivered and on Friday, my family and I took Amtrack down and they picked us up. The deal was done and I have the car I wanted. I have to admit, it wasn't the easiest way to buy a car (helluva lot of scrambling on my part), but it just goes to show, if you aren't too picky with the color choice, it can be done (quickly if fortunate enough).
The most uncomfortable aspect was the fact I was negotiating on cars that weren't even available yet. Also, I didn't like the fact that dealers were fighting over stock. But oh well, that's supply and demand for ya. Hang in there.
BTW, I love the color I ended up with. Everglade Metallic!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If anyone is interested in the seattle area there is a Blizzard Pearl V6 4WD limited at Town Toyota in East Wenatchee has third row ,no leather but they said they could change it out,JBL 9 speaker,auto dimming mirror,plus they had the hitch and wiring installed already.Would have driven there and gotten it myself, but I want the extra cargo space in the back .It seems like alot of people want the 3rd row.Anyway just thought I would throw that out there.Pretty sure they still have it just checked their inventory a minute ago.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I waited 10 weeks. I did not have all the dealer "screwups" that some of you guys are experiencing, but it was worth the wait and I am SO glad I did. My RAV, for right now, is unique. I probably have the only configuration like it in the city. I got Barcelona Red w/ ash leather and the salesman told me it was the first one he had seen like that and he himself really liked it. The RAV is worth the wait, plain and simple.

I am getting my 3M Clear Bra put on tomorrow, wheel to wheel-headlights-mirrors-door trim.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't make me nervous

I ordered my Rav4 2 weeks ago. I was told to expect about 8-10 weeks for delivery. This is actually what I want because I will not have my planned down payment ready until July. But from what you guys are saying you are waiting a lot longer than 8 weeks for your Rav. :(

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been on the RAV4 fence for a while and was also looking at the V6 with 3rd row.. I guess I better get in the game now or it will be mid-August before I see one.

OTOH - With this lack of availabiliity and the dealer games I keep reading about, the Honda Pilot is looking better. Carsdirect.com is showing $26,963 for an EX AWD, V6 (it comes with a 3rd row seat, 6 CD changer and airbags included.... ). A similarly equipped Rav4 is $27,562 on carsdirect.

Eh, who am I kidding. I'd burn through the difference in price at the gas pump over time. I should just get the 4 banger Rav4...

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dealer told me that for every 100 RAV4's they make, only 10% of those are V6's.
If only toyota would drop a 5-spd unit in the 4-cyl, I would gladly take the 4 banger over the V6. CRV got a 5-spd unit, why not the RAV4? 4-spd tranny is soooo yesterday.
Heck, the new Camry V6 got a 6-spd unit, so why not the V6 RAV4? I'm gonna be REALLY upset if Toyota drops a 6-spd in the V6 RAV4 next year. Perhaps I should wait for the new Outlander, the 3.0L V6 with the 6-spd auto tranny sounds pretty attractive.

·
Registered
79 Posts
javascript:emoticon(':roll:') I have been reading the posts and I must be real lucky to live in the Washington D.C. area. Have no problem with finding V6's RAVs and I found a few dealers that will knock off about $1500.00 off MRSP.... One dealer had 45 RAVs listed on their internet side and about 17 of them were V6's. Other dealers averate about 12 to 25 RAVs with about 1/3 being V6s. So it may be the area of the country you are in....

RailTrail said:
Hey Trank,
I'm in Tacoma and am aware of the limited quanity in our area. My story, I started looking for a V6 Limited with 3rd row on April 28th, 1 day after pulling out on an '05 Pathfinder. That weekend, I emailed all of the local dealers and found 1 being allocated to Burien (Blizzard Pearl V6 Limited). Went in to negotiate the price and walked away. The next day, I went to a Tacoma dealer and had the guy search high & low. He found one being allocated to Beaverton and was told that he could re-route, but again, couldn't get it for the price I wanted. He also noted that the Beaverton dealer may not want to trade it with the high demand. So I found the Beaverton dealer, made an offer and they accepted. That was all on April 28th.
Last Thursday, the RAV was delivered and on Friday, my family and I took Amtrack down and they picked us up. The deal was done and I have the car I wanted. I have to admit, it wasn't the easiest way to buy a car (helluva lot of scrambling on my part), but it just goes to show, if you aren't too picky with the color choice, it can be done (quickly if fortunate enough).
The most uncomfortable aspect was the fact I was negotiating on cars that weren't even available yet. Also, I didn't like the fact that dealers were fighting over stock. But oh well, that's supply and demand for ya. Hang in there.
BTW, I love the color I ended up with. Everglade Metallic!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Railtrain,

That dealer in Burien was a blast. My salesman was a "regular guy' but that sales manager, what a trip! Very aggressive and skillful. They just could not meet the price. I walked too. They called 2 days later and asked if I bought and I told them yes and the deal I got. They said they would match the price I got from the other dealer on their vehicle if I came in that day. I told them they should have given me that price from the start and I would have bought, but now I won't ever even come in to have warranty work done.

I think a lot of the dealers say they have a particular color and option package coming in when they are just seeing what landed in the port and they are expecting to be able to get it. I still don't know how it works.

I increased to 3 color choices and that helped a lot. I expect to give it another week or so, I really like the salesperson. If that doesn't work I'll start hitting dealers to find what I want on the lot and cut a deal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts