Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "fix" for this issue, according to Toyota, concerns certain Rav4's hybrids built before mid-July, 2020. According to the door sticker, mine was built 10/20. Yet:
-I drove well past the fuel light and pulled into a gas station with "0"miles left on the "range".
- the pump clicked of at 11 gallons. This probable means that 3.5 gallons were still in the tank at "0" range-- or about 100 miles! I topped off with an additional gallon, so I added 12 gallons, and the range read 492 with the gauge a little past "F".
-my options seem to be 1) complain to Toyota about inaccurate readouts; 2) forget it and know that I can drive well past "0" range,(after ignoring the fuel light that came on with about 30 miles left of range).
Despite the building date, I'm inclined to believe that this 2021 has the same issue as many 2019-2020 owners.
Am I off-base here? Thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited
66 Posts
Mine was built 7/20 - right around the time they flip model years so I’m not sure if I have it too. Did yours come from Canada or Japan?

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited
66 Posts
I had no idea some were made in Kentucky !

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Hybrid XLE
17 Posts
I have a 2021 RAV4 Hybrid and I think that mine has the issue. Toyota says otherwise. I took it to the dealer and they basically told me that it’s operating normally. Supposedly the 14.5 gallon tank is only supposed to hold about 12.2 gallons of physical gas. The remaining 2.3 gallons is for the EVAP system and expansion of the gas. It doesn’t really make sense that they advertise a 14.5 gallon tank. In my opinion, I want to be able to physically have 14.5 gallons in my tank....not 12. Also, my RAV was built in Japan.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2021 RAV4 Hybrid and I think that mine has the issue. Toyota says otherwise. I took it to the dealer and they basically told me that it’s operating normally. Supposedly the 14.5 gallon tank is only supposed to hold about 12.2 gallons of physical gas. The remaining 2.3 gallons is for the EVAP system and expansion of the gas. It doesn’t really make sense that they advertise a 14.5 gallon tank. In my opinion, I want to be able to physically have 14.5 gallons in my tank....not 12. Also, my RAV was built in Japan.
The dealer is wrong. Toyota states clearly that the tank is 14.5, but more importantly, a range of 580 miles. It's basic math! Toyota says mpg is 40. 40x14.5=580. Granted in order to achieve the 580 mile range at 40mpg, you'd have to run out of gas -- completely. But it's clear that Toyota is claiming 14.5 gallons of usable gas.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,242 Posts
The dealer is wrong. Toyota states clearly that the tank is 14.5, but more importantly, a range of 580 miles. It's basic math! Toyota says mpg is 40. 40x14.5=580. Granted in order to achieve the 580 mile range at 40mpg, you'd have to run out of gas -- completely. But it's clear that Toyota is claiming 14.5 gallons of usable gas.

Toyota's marketing was claiming 580. (14.5 times 40). But those MPG weren't even typical unless you were a good driver of hybrids and driving in the most benign conditions. Toyota has since more clearly shown they intend the amount between low fuel light and pump automatic shut off to be 9.8 gallons. To use more you are dipping into the reserve or overfilling the area designed to keep fuel from splashing into the pollution control system leading eventually to a CEL and an expensive repair. See the CSP page 9.

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Hybrid XSE
8 Posts
Toyota's marketing was claiming 580. (14.5 times 40). But those MPG weren't even typical unless you were a good driver of hybrids and driving in the most benign conditions. Toyota has since more clearly shown they intend the amount between low fuel light and pump automatic shut off to be 9.8 gallons. To use more you are dipping into the reserve or overfilling the area designed to keep fuel from splashing into the pollution control system leading eventually to a CEL and an expensive repair. See the CSP page 9.
This explanation is very helpful. I am a new owner of 2021 hybrid xse and have been confused as to why my average fill at 1/4 tank left is only 7.5 gallons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts