Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So the best way to prevent it from returning, is to run the AC all the time, and to turn it off and turn the fan on high approx. 1 minute before turning the car off? I figured the dealership won't be able to fix anything, as they already checked for blockages and flushed everything out. I ordered something called Ultrashield A/C Odor Treatment designed to kill mold, mildew, and fungus in the HVAC system. I sure hope this stuff works, I hate using air freshners. I'd like to enjoy the last bit of new-car smell that I have (yeah yeah I know it's toxic, but I just love it lol).

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
That is corre3ct. Sometimes I put UP the heat to speed things up. As long as you get the ductwork warm after you run the ac is the inportant thing.

You can also spray a can of Lysol into the air intake to kill the mold. I have done this to others and it works better then any auto store bought stuff. Spray it into the air intake with the fan running..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
One more quick question. How would running the car in AC mode most of the time solve the problem, when the condensation from the AC is what is causing the mold? Wouldn't running the car without AC most of the time actually be the solution?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Is this issue unique to the Limited? I know the controls are different with dual zones and such. I used to have a Buick that had that moldy sock smell that came out of the vents when the temperature was hot and humid. Nothing would take that smell away. We tried the Lysol trick but that only worked for a few days at most. Glad that car is long gone now... Luckly I haven't experienced anything like that with my Rav... :shrug:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you keep it on recirc a lot?

I tend to use my AC on recirc but use the vent with outside air. I live in a dry climate so the ductwork dries out very quickly. If I don't switch to outside air, my AC gets stinky when I switch off the compressor.

The thing about the "mold" issue is that mold needs some kind of consumable food source before it can grow. Is your cabin air filter missing?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
No my filter is there. I actually am driving a rental car now, an 06 Carolla, and it too has the sinky smell. Since it's a manual AC system, I noticed that when I was driving and turned off the AC, putting the system to just fresh, the stink can in the cabin for a few minutes then went away. Come to think of it, I believe my Rav does the same thing. Maybe when I thought it was stinky even with the AC on, was actually when the AC turned itself off but the button still stayed illuminated while in the Auto mode...

·
Registered
337 Posts
ahunt01 said:
So the best way to prevent it from returning, is to run the AC all the time, and to turn it off and turn the fan on high approx. 1 minute before turning the car off? I figured the dealership won't be able to fix anything, as they already checked for blockages and flushed everything out. I ordered something called Ultrashield A/C Odor Treatment designed to kill mold, mildew, and fungus in the HVAC system. I sure hope this stuff works, I hate using air freshners. I'd like to enjoy the last bit of new-car smell that I have (yeah yeah I know it's toxic, but I just love it lol).
That would fix the principles of the problem... However I am just lazy nd I rather get a little microbial exposure than breathe chemical VOC's

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I just got back from the dealership and they sprayed some kind of antibactirial spray, fridigare or something like that. Seemed to work for a few hours, but I could smell the funk again. I smelled the same thing in our 2006 Carolla rental car. I wonder if it happens when you turn the AC off or something?

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
like said before the moisture from the ac is what causes it. No ac no moisture.. no issue. Liek I said at least twice... Shut off the ac before you shut down the car fior a few minutes to heat up the evap which will not allow the moisture to form causing th eproblem..

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
ok when you are coming to the end of your ride, take it out of recalculate air mode...
So your pulling in fresh air.....

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
out of recirc *AND* turn off ac. I do it every time in all my cars and its second nature.

OzZ said:
ok when you are coming to the end of your ride, take it out of recalculate air mode...
So your pulling in fresh air.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Heh yeah I'm still getting used to that. My life is so crazy right now that I always seem to be thinking about something else and always forget. Thank goodness I have plenty of that antibacterial spray lol.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just recently started smelling that stinky mold smell that allot of people have talked about here. What's funny is I don't even use my vents or air conditioner at all! 99% of the time I just roll down my windows. I just started using my AC this week because of the extremely high humidity. I'm disappointed that my Rav has that vent smell. I shot a mixture of Bleach and water into the air inlet on the passenger side with a spray bottle and it appears to be disappearing. Still not a cool thing to have on a brand new car.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts