Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Some a/c expert at freshalloy advised to just run the a/c with air intake selector set at fresh/outside air once in a while to minimize mold growth, i.e., don't run a/c with recirc. all the time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey guys,

Where is the air intake to spray Lysol? Did you mean the grill in front of the passenger side windshield? or should I take out the pollen filter and spray in from there?

THX
TSQ

S

·
0 Posts
you could take up smoking...that will get mask that nasty mold smell..or you could hang a pair of stinky athletic socks from your rear view mirror...that will set the standard for stinky feet smell...

P

·
0 Posts
+1

I used to do this on my Tacoma. No nasty smell. From the vent at least. :shock:

The issue with some of the new Rav4s is that if you turn the temperature down under 70 degrees (forget the actual temperature) it automagically puts in on recirculate. So it lends to forgetting to put it on fresh and now u have some moldy condensation.

This was easier to get my wife to do this on her old car also cause it was all manual levers.

A little unrealistic but automakers should put an condensation sensor in the vents and open the vents and blow some air through the vents after you have left the car. (Maybe they already have that feature - luxuries?)

flyingn said:
bingo. Do this and you will never have an issue ever again. Turn off the ac and leave the fan on.. 3 miles before you shut it off. Get into this habit and it will be second nature.

Octane said:
to avoid having this problem, you should turn off the A/C a couple of minutes before turning off the car, and let the air come out the vent to dry them out before the car is turned off.

the reason you are getting mold is because when the A/C is on, the duct become very cold, and when you turn off the car, condensation will form inside the duct, and the humidity will help form mold. so by letting turning the A/C off, you will be drying the duct completely before stopping the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
tsq2006 said:
Hey guys,

Where is the air intake to spray Lysol? Did you mean the grill in front of the passenger side windshield? or should I take out the pollen filter and spray in from there?

THX
TSQ
I would like to know that too? Where do you spray the antibacterial stuff.

When I first "smelled" the problem I didn't think much of it, I thought that this was a "normal" thing. Whoever called this smell the "stinky sock" smell nailed it! I think Toyota should red flag this problem before drivers start passing out from the "stinky sock exposure" :p

·
Registered
424 Posts
Lysol is not the best thing to spray in there, leaves a residue, might attack plastics.
In my experience my Ford cars never need this, they have huge drains for the condensate. The drawback is that some of the engine smells (like burning oil) can get sucked in by those bigger openings.

Hyundai, Kia, Toyota seem not to be that concerned with draining in hot and humid climates, their drains are small diameter tubes. They don't suck in smells from engine bay but tend to get clogged.

This is what I recommend to use, watch their video:

The tube can be inserted in the car's drain tube and will unclog it. Doing that will also spray the foam in the right place, where mold is growing (drip pan).

41 - 50 of 50 Posts