Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
chimchim said:
Hey again EHinthe604naholic!!

My RAVies front speaks had the tweeters separated from the woofers.. and if I'm not mistaken, the rear speakers had no tweeters at all(I may be wrong, but I think that's what I had). The speakers are basically the same except for the tweeter part(if it exists).

As for sound quality... the fronts have a little more line-of-sight to your ears since they are slightly more in front of you when you sit in the front seat... whereas the rear seats have the person sitting with the speaks basically pointed at their ankles.. not really an optimal place to hear any of the higher frequencies.

I'm still baffled your RAVie came with a Panasonic! Who knows... maybe they did bless you with some Dynaudio's up front :D

Happy RAV'n!

..ChimChim
Hey hey ChimChim...

Thanks for the explanation... The rear speakers did indeed sound like they were simply woofers without tweeters, while the fronts may be coaxials - either stock or aftermarket - to compensate for the lack of satellite tweeters on the rearview mirror bezels.

When I tested my rear speakers, I did turn my fader all the way to the rear speakers and tilt my head back to listen carefully. I concluded that the high notes came through more clearly from my fronts than than my rears!

Yeah, the Panasonic deck is actually one of the hallmarks of the RAV4 Chili Edition. The Chili Special Edition is simply more cosmetic than functional - heated mirrors (definitely functional!), Chili-embroidered floor mats, Chili rear quarter decals, Panasonic deck... and new for 2005, sports pedals and power moonroof... I SHOULD HAVE WAITED!!! :x

However, the Clarion deck that I bought sounds way better - or maybe it's just a self-fulfilling prophecy. :)
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Concern With Dynamat Install

Hey Chim Chim-a-tola---

I want your opinion on something.

I noticed that my door panels arent completely snapped down on the bottom sections that face the door hinges. All four doors are like this.

Presumably this is because of the two layers of Dynamat.

A problem I have noticed is a vibration coming from the rear right door panel---I think its one of the door panel clips. It only does this at loud volume on songs that have deep boomy bass.

I noticed it accidentally when changing from a sport radio program to music---I need to play the volume a little louder for talk radio.


So what do you think? Should I be concerned? Was your installation this same way?

I'd rather have it all tighly sealed and snapped down to be honest.

At minumim I probably need to get the installer to come up with a way to prevent the vibration from the right rear panel.

Your thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Heya Raviolifettuccinialfreidolicious!

OHH it sounds like it -could- be the clips not clipped in all the way, which if that's the case, it -could- be the dynamat being too thick where the clips clip in. It's kind of hard for me to know for sure without hearing it myself, but if it looks like the plastic door panel isn't totally pressed up against the door itself, then that may cause room for rattles.

I guess my first question is just by looking at your door(around all edges of the panel), are there any gaps? You shouldn't be able to see any dynamat at all, and it should look exactly as it did before they installed it.

My second question is do the rattles stop if you push down on the door panel? Use your fader/balance to isolate one door speaker(the loudest rattler?). With the door open, get it to rattle by playing the "Alvin and the Chipmonks Greatest Christmas Hits". It helps to wear a santa hat, and maybe silk stockings with Uggs. As your neighbors laugh, call the police, or breakdance, push down on the door panel and see if you can isolate exactly where the rattle is coming from. If pushing it down anywhere fixes it, then it can definitely be fixed. :D

If it doesn't fix the rattle, bring it back to the installer and let them hear it. Or if you wanted to check it yourself, you can [REMOVE YOUR DOOR PANEL] in under 2 minutes, and see if it rattles with the door panel off. There should be absolutely NO rattles with the door panel off, and if there is then there's probably something brushing up against the back side of your speaker cone, or else something else(wire?) is loose or dangling.

What I do when I -quite- a car is trim small "mounting holes" around the areas around where the clips plug into the door.. that gives the clips room to fully lock into place.



The above redundant pic of my door panel also has 2 layers of dynamat(generic) again, redundantly. You can see the holes where the clips pop into place. I trimmed small squares maybe an inch big around each hole(squares are easier to cut than circles!). That gives the clips some space to pop in cleanly. If your installer didn't do it, you can very easily/quickly trim it yourself with a sharp xacto or box cutter. Or else of course bring it back to them and they'd fix it.

Rattles are wierd beasts. There's sooOooOooOo many things that can cause rattles. Speaker cables brushing up against the rear of the cone... loose panels or clips... loose screws in poorly fabricated boxes...improper use of Q-tips. I guess the real one-for-all fix is to use earplugs! :idea: Although I don't keep foam tape and electrical tape in my garage for nothing :D

Hope that kinda-sorta helps... Lemme know how the Uggs work out for you! Happy RAV'n!

..ChimChim
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Chim-Cham-o-lama-rama:

Measured the gaps at the bottom of the panels...1/2 inch at widest gap on front doors, and 3/4 inch at widest gap on rear doors.

The clips are not snapped in near those areas, nor will they stay in.

I really dont want to take off the door panel, dont want to screw anything up. I may just take it down and talk to the installer this weekend.

It makes me uncomfortable that the door panels arent snapped into place and flush against the metal. I really feel like I have paid to much for it not to be damn near perfect.

Kinda bummed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Ravioli said:
Chim-Cham-o-lama-rama:

Measured the gaps at the bottom of the panels...1/2 inch at widest gap on front doors, and 3/4 inch at widest gap on rear doors.

The clips are not snapped in near those areas, nor will they stay in.

I really dont want to take off the door panel, dont want to screw anything up. I may just take it down and talk to the installer this weekend.

It makes me uncomfortable that the door panels arent snapped into place and flush against the metal. I really feel like I have paid to much for it not to be damn near perfect.

Kinda bummed.
Heya Raviolinskahulahula!

HOLY COWABUNGA!! 3/4" ?????? That's totally inexcusable!! I'd bring it back and demand them to fix it! I can't see how any reputable place can return something like that to a paying customer! Is your Dynamat that thick?? Didn't you go with the Dynamat Xtreme? I thought hat stuff is pretty thin, even at 2 layers.
Maybe they forgot to cut a hole for the clips, so the clip is bumping the covered hole... the clips are roughly 1/2" or 3/4".. still tho.. I can't beleive they did that!!

Anyways.. talk to the manager at Good Guys... if he gives you any probs.. I got yer back bro'ski... installers like that will surely put them out of business!

Also... don't be bummed.. they WILL fix it.. surely it's the fault of a junior rookie newbie 4th grade E.S.L on-parole installer. Yeah it's an inconvenience.. but the fix shouldn't take them more than 5 minutes per door. In fact, for the inconvenience.. they may give you some money back. You paid good money for an install that wasn't done right.. if you make it known that you were inconvenienced.. they should do SOMETHING(ie. discount? coupon? Uggs?) to resurrect your faith in them. Otherwise make it clear that you're calling your neighbor, Gayle Anderson, the troubleshooter for KTLA news(or some other news channel investigator). If it gets to her, you'll prolly get the whole thing done for free!

Anyways.. good luck with it... let us know what happens.. FIGHT THE POWER! *FistPump*

..ChimChim
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
EHinthe604 said:
chimchim said:
Hey again EHinthe604naholic!!

My RAVies front speaks had the tweeters separated from the woofers.. and if I'm not mistaken, the rear speakers had no tweeters at all(I may be wrong, but I think that's what I had). The speakers are basically the same except for the tweeter part(if it exists).

As for sound quality... the fronts have a little more line-of-sight to your ears since they are slightly more in front of you when you sit in the front seat... whereas the rear seats have the person sitting with the speaks basically pointed at their ankles.. not really an optimal place to hear any of the higher frequencies.

I'm still baffled your RAVie came with a Panasonic! Who knows... maybe they did bless you with some Dynaudio's up front :D

Happy RAV'n!

..ChimChim
Hey hey ChimChim...

Thanks for the explanation... The rear speakers did indeed sound like they were simply woofers without tweeters, while the fronts may be coaxials - either stock or aftermarket - to compensate for the lack of satellite tweeters on the rearview mirror bezels.

When I tested my rear speakers, I did turn my fader all the way to the rear speakers and tilt my head back to listen carefully. I concluded that the high notes came through more clearly from my fronts than than my rears!

Yeah, the Panasonic deck is actually one of the hallmarks of the RAV4 Chili Edition. The Chili Special Edition is simply more cosmetic than functional - heated mirrors (definitely functional!), Chili-embroidered floor mats, Chili rear quarter decals, Panasonic deck... and new for 2005, sports pedals and power moonroof... I SHOULD HAVE WAITED!!! :x

However, the Clarion deck that I bought sounds way better - or maybe it's just a self-fulfilling prophecy. :)
The pansonic deck is great. Anyways the rear and front speakers at least for the 2003 chili edition were both stock paper. I replaced the rear with clarion speakers and the front with the infinity speakers. Now I need some subs for some bass. When I had my speakers it sounded more muffeled up in the rear then in the front by the way so its not just you.

The highlight for the Chili Edition is the hood scoop and the unique front grille :) as well as the alloy wheels and the mp3 player. (when I got my Rav4 the mp3 players were much more expensive about $400 to $500 for the equivlent set, the next year they fell down to $200 to $300 and now they are like $150 to $250).
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
csis_agent said:
The pansonic deck is great. Anyways the rear and front speakers at least for the 2003 chili edition were both stock paper. I replaced the rear with clarion speakers and the front with the infinity speakers. Now I need some subs for some bass. When I had my speakers it sounded more muffeled up in the rear then in the front by the way so its not just you.

The highlight for the Chili Edition is the hood scoop and the unique front grille :) as well as the alloy wheels and the mp3 player. (when I got my RAV4 the mp3 players were much more expensive about $400 to $500 for the equivlent set, the next year they fell down to $200 to $300 and now they are like $150 to $250).
The Panasonic deck wasn't bad, but there just too many little things about it that I didn't like. First, AM reception sucks, especially when I drive under those big transmission power lines - an unbearable "hum". Second, I was simply used to using a Clarion deck. My new Clarion deck just simply has the different features that I need... and the FM reception is still a little better with the Clarion, so I can pick up KUBE 93 and C89.5 FM (from Seattle) on a good day. :D

I almost bought a 2004 RAV4 Package B in Everglades, which came with a stock MP3-ready CD deck.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Holy Crap Batman!

Chim-Cham-bo-bam-bam-fo-flam-flam-do-dam-dam-chi-paaaaaaaaa

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude....here's the deal.

Took my rig back to Good Guys.....spoke to the installer he said my door panels protruded BEFORE the Dynamat installation. Apparantly the speakers are pretty deep and he has to have them protude a bit (remember it's on the bottom area of the door panels facing door hinges...) otherwise they hit the window and/or the windows will bow inward.

Okay, Im cool with it. It's not visible unless you are laying on the ground looking upward.

My Alpine has an "MX" button which is supposed to enhance sound on mp-3's, etc. IMO it's a glorified "loudness button", that it what was causing the vibration on the rear right door panel. The extra loudness at high volume was making the speaker clip. Turned off the "MX", and walla, no more vibration/ distortion.

A few more things I have to learn about:

Cross Over: you can set frequency; slope (dB/oct) and Level (dB)

No clues on how set the slope and level.

Parametric EQ: you can set Frequency (Hz); level (dB) and Width (Q) for 5 bands. Hmmmm level and width....HUH?

Right now EQ is set to "ROCK" (also have "POP" "NEWS" and "FLAT" as choices). "ROCK" sounds good, but if I just knew how to tweak the custom settings...

I am way out of my league here, havent a real clue how to maximize this. Maybe a trip back to Good Guys or call Alpine.

I was able to set the "time delay" adjusted to the driver's seat....all sound from 6 speakers hits my ears at once.

Sounds pretty groovy overall, just wonder how much better it would be if I knew how to maximze all the settings.

Late.
 
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Top