Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know if the stock stereo plays wma files. I know it plays mp3 but I was kinda looking to downsize my filing system...

I did a search but I found nothing

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
must be!? I have a 05 and the stock stereo plays mp3 files. Although it does play mp3's, the way it's done isn't the most efficient.
example:
Insert CD (wait 5 sec for it to read)
watch screen say check CD (flashes about 5 times)
then display says MP3 and it starts to play.

total time to play is about 15 sec from the time you insert the CD, but if you leave the CD in, when you restart the car it only takes about 5 sec to play.

It works and I'm happy about it.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and i thought i was the only one with the 10 second check cd delay!

·
Registered
214 Posts
orbitron said:
Do you know if the stock stereo plays wma files. I know it plays mp3 but I was kinda looking to downsize my filing system...

I did a search but I found nothing
The best suggestion I can give is to go ahead and upgrade to one of the Scion decks off of e-bay. Not only does it play MP3's and WMA's, it sounds 10x better.

It's a simple, cheap, and direct bolt-in upgrade if you're interested.

Wayne

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My question is whether a double din stereo fits in the hole. I know most people have a single din with a tray below it but I was thinkin' maybe go with a double...

Scion doesn't exist in Canadia so i would just be a wierdo if I had it!

·
Registered
214 Posts
orbitron said:
My question is whether a double din stereo fits in the hole. I know most people have a single din with a tray below it but I was thinkin' maybe go with a double...

Scion doesn't exist in Canadia so i would just be a wierdo if I had it!
The 4.2 is a double-din hole, and yes, it's a 100% compatible plug-n-play swap. They have e-bay in Canada, right? :)

Wayne

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Or, you could just try to insert a disk with WMA and see if it plays :wink: . Also, if you want, there are a ton of aftermarkets that will play them, and the install is super easy, all you need to know is how to strip and crimp wires.

As for the delay, as with Eclipse headunits (my preferred company), the first 5 seconds is determining type of CD (MP3, CDA/WAV, WMA, etc.). If it is a disk such as a WMA or MP3 it has to construct a copy of the file system in its memory. It stores this until you insert another disk.

Oh and a WAV file is pretty much the same as a CDA (CD audio) file.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SZRimaging said:
Or, you could just try to insert a disk with WMA and see if it plays :wink:
Yeah I did that the day after I posted. It doesn't play wmas :?

is this the one you're talking about? ebay

Looks like it would fit well.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Ants in my Pants said:
and i thought i was the only one with the 10 second check cd delay!
What software are you guys using to burn your cds? I've never had this problem with mine and I play mp3 cds on it all the time, I've made like a dozen of them and never had this problem. I just use Roxio Easy CD Creator, do it as a project and finalize the cd right away.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When creating the disk do you stick the files all right in the root directory or a bunch of sub directories?

If it is in the root, the player doesn't have to costruct the file system.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I always arrange my files so that the system is as follows...

Beck - 2005Guero\01 - E-Pro

Curtis Mayfield - 1972Superfly\02 - Pusherman

slash equals inside folder.

This way your collection is not only alphabetized, but also in release year order and track order. Very seldom do I make a CD that has only a track or two from a single artist, I am an album buying kind of guy.

I use windows explorer to burn the files. It's just drag and drop. My root folder only has folders in it, the sub folders have all the songs.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Somebody just scooped that scion stereo from under my feet. Buy it now button....bah

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was just explaining the time it takes to intially read the disk, not that it wouldn't play :wink: Finalized or not, your CD should still play on most modern CD players.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kryten said:
I wonder if just doing it in windows explorer it might not be finalizing the cd.
Intruiging thought. I was thinking that when it says make compatible for cd players that would do it, but maybe you have a point there. No worries though, I am definitely getting a Scion stereo now, unless someone scoops this other one I'm bidding on.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I won, I won!

Does anyone know the part number for the auxilary (sp?) input so I can play my laptop through the speakers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts