Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know what the stock Toyota hitch size is? If you configured it online, it just says "hitch", no indication of size.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
2" would be the standard size.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I believe it is 1.25" rather than 2" possibly because of the 1500 LBS towing limit. When I was researching for a trailer hitch that was hidden it came down to the EcoHitch and the Toyota OEM hitch which was 1.25". I ended up with the EcoHitch with the 1.25" size.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 20K+ miles

·
Registered
184 Posts
if i am not mistaken, OEM can be both sizes.. 1.25" Class I and 2" Class III. One thing that puzzles me.. is OEM hitch made out of gold? They go anywhere from 400 to 600+ dollars. I need a hitch too, for my bikes, so i don`t have to drive my truck every time i go biking with family.
Looking at CURT, that costs 3 times less and seems like a good product, based on reviews.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so now I've got three different replies...

#1 - says stock is 2"
#2 - says stock is 1.25"
#3 - says stock is either 2" or 1.25"

When you order from the dealer, what are you getting? Do they give you a choice of part numbers?

I want to know because I already have expensive 2" accessories, like a bike rack that I'd like to use if I buy a new car.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ok, so now I've got three different replies...

#1 - says stock is 2"
#2 - says stock is 1.25"
#3 - says stock is either 2" or 1.25"

When you order from the dealer, what are you getting? Do they give you a choice of part numbers?

I want to know because I already have expensive 2" accessories, like a bike rack that I'd like to use if I buy a new car.

Maybe this thread will help you? http://www.rav4world.com/forums/97-4-3-exterior/70172-toyota-rav4-oem-hitch-guide-2006-2008-a.html

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
184 Posts
Maybe it was moved because you have 2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited V6 4WD in your signature? I am not sure.
But i understand the frustration.. 2017

Part Number: PZQ6442097 I spoke to my friend at Toyota parts dpt, he said for 2017 they only have Class I, with 1.25" receiver. for some models in 3rd generation they had 2" option, Class II. Curt makes 2" one for 2017, 143 dollars. Or you can get adopter 1.25 to 2", but that will be ugly :)

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Maybe it was moved because you have 2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited V6 4WD in your signature? I am not sure.
But i understand the frustration.. 2017

Part Number: PZQ6442097 I spoke to my friend at Toyota parts dpt, he said for 2017 they only have Class I, with 1.25" receiver. for some models in 3rd generation they had 2" option, Class II. Curt makes 2" one for 2017, 143 dollars. Or you can get adopter 1.25 to 2", but that will be ugly :)
Agree with ivan70, all the sites I checked say Class 1 which is only a 1 1/4 inch receiver. The Genuine Toyota one is it worth 5 times an aftermarket one?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Agree with ivan70, all the sites I checked say Class 1 which is only a 1 1/4 inch receiver. The Genuine Toyota one is it worth 5 times an aftermarket one?
My 3rd gen OEM hitch has the larger 2" size. I *think* all OEM hitches for 3rd gen RAV4s were 2" but am not 100% certain about that (I only know there were at least 2 different 4.3 part numbers for hitches, one for 3rd gens with the Tow Prep package, one for 3rd gens without the Tow Prep package and I think those two were both for the 2" size).

I would suggest that if your RAV4 is only rated for 1500-2000 lb towing capacity that the more expensive OEM hitch is NOT worth it. That's absolutely true if you're only going to be using it as a bike rack (!!!) or for something like a small basket. The less expensive 4-bolt variety would be well more than enough for those things, and should be just fine for towing at those lower capacities (< 2000 lbs).

My RAV4 is rated to tow 3500 lbs. The 3rd gen OEM hitch had many more mounting points (something like 22 bolts, not just 4) and I'd feel significantly better using the much beefier OEM hitch if towing anything near that capacity.

Others disagree and feel the lesser 4-bolt varieties are fine for even that high capacity, and that's fine. My preference of the OEM hitch for the heavier towing is to spread the load out over more of the RAV4, that's all. I figure the Toyota engineers knew what was best for the vehicle to maximize safety.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I believe it is 1.25" rather than 2" possibly because of the 1500 LBS towing limit. When I was researching for a trailer hitch that was hidden it came down to the EcoHitch and the Toyota OEM hitch which was 1.25". I ended up with the EcoHitch with the 1.25" size.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 20K+ miles
My apologies, I missed the fact that the discussion was for 4.3 rather than 4.4
My comment was only meant for generation 4.4

Frank

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Seems like an uninformed mod moved without telling anyone...
Everything in your posts & bio says you have a 2009 V-6 so I moved it to 4.3. I'll move it back to 4.4 because I was uninformed and have no psychic powers. :kiss

Maybe it was moved because you have 2009 Toyota RAV4 Limited V6 4WD in your signature?
Precisely

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Everything in your posts & bio says you have a 2009 V-6 so I moved it to 4.3. I'll move it back to 4.4 because I was uninformed and have no psychic powers. :kiss
Yep, and if the OP had simply said he was talking about a 2018 model there would have been no confusion. :surprise

Reactions: Blogson

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Damned if we do and damned if we don't! Good thing this job pays so well.:wall

Reactions: Blogson

·
Registered
69 Posts
For what it is worth, I purchased a Toyota oem hitch from the dealer and installed it myself on my RAV4. I can confirm that the receiver is a two inch. The Toyota oem hitch price, from the dealer, was $530.00 CDN and a Curt hitch (uninstalled) was like around $260.00 CDN. It was well worth buying the Toyota oem hitch and installing it myself. The dealer wanted like $1700.00 CDN to install which is way way too much.

I attached a picture and the install instructions in case anyone wants or needs them....cheers

Attachments

Reactions: DVS

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
For what it is worth, I purchased a Toyota oem hitch from the dealer and installed it myself on my RAV4. I can confirm that the receiver is a two inch. The Toyota oem hitch price, from the dealer, was $530.00 CDN and a Curt hitch (uninstalled) was like around $260.00 CDN. It was well worth buying the Toyota oem hitch and installing it myself. The dealer wanted like $1700.00 CDN to install which is way way too much.
Those 4.4 OEM hitch installation instructions are pretty involved. It looks like you have to take apart quite a bit of the back of the vehicle.

Why do you feel that it was well worth the extra money to buy the Toyota OEM hitch?

Thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just get the Cequent/Drawtite/Uhaul 75235 2" Class III tow hitch... I bought it for my 08 RAV4 from Uhaul (branded as Uhaul but made by Cequent) but the pictures in the manual actually shows a 2013+ RAV4 having the hitch attached to it, plus lots of pictures of 2013+ RAV4s on the etrailer website as well.

2006-2017 are basically the same vehicle underneath, just changes to the body panels and interior.

Here it is on etrailer branded as Drawtite (made by Cequent)

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Toyota/RAV4/2008/75235.html?vehicleid=200842706

Trailer Hitch Instructions For DrawTite, Reese, Hidden Hitch & More - etrailer.com

·
Registered
69 Posts
DVS: Fair question and one I debated prior to the purchase. I based my decision on a couple factors. When I learned that a wire was required to be run from the battery to the wired plug and some of the interior pieces had to be removed to run that wire, I thought I could install the hitch at the same time given I only had to remove the rear mud flaps and bumper. I was looking at towing at the maximum capacity and wanted some additional assurance. If one is only using the receiver to haul mountain bikes etc., then the standard Curt hitch is fine. When I removed the interior pieces, I also ran an extra couple of wires to the rear of the vehicle; in case I wanted trailer brakes in the future and a dedicated power source for a cooler or a rear circulating fan for my dog. I found the AC does not circulate well the rear cargo area. Lastly, I didn't like the way the Curt hitch looked hanging low. I like the EcoHitch design and would have preferred this hitch but the expense to bring it north was too great.

Reactions: DVS and ivan70
1 - 20 of 23 Posts