Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

I purchased my 2017 RAV4 Hybrid in December 2016. It now has 13,000 miles on it, mostly highway. A few weeks back I noticed it started making a "CLICK" or "CLICK CLICK" sound(s) under moderate braking. When accelerate back up, the sound(s) occurs again. The sound is definitely coming from the front end, both sides. If it doesn't make the sound when slowing down, it won't make it starting back up.

When I took it to Toyota the 1st time they said it was a dust cover for the brakes that had been rubbing. I took it home and didn't notice the sound on the way. A few days later the clicking was back.

The second time I took it in (a week later), they concluded it was the brake pads shifting back and forth. The claimed to have tightened them and that the sound was gone. On my way home, the sound was still occurring.

I'm going to be taking back, but to a different dealer. Has anyone heard similar sounds? It driving my bonkers!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,096 Posts
I'll never understand the motivation to spend time in a dealership over a "noise". If it works, drive it. Seriously. Anything that really needs attention will throw error codes.
Check your tire inflation to make sure one isn't low and causing ABS/TCS to trigger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:

Experimented today and put the vehicle in Neutral before stopping and there were no clicking sounds. This seemed to isolate the problem as a drivetrain issue, and maybe not brakes.

rdgrimes: Typically, when vehicles begin making a sound they don't usually make, its a sign of a problem. There are some people who choose to ignore sounds, and potential problems. I am not one of those people. Thanks for your response!

blaydese: I'll try to get a video up. Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'll never understand the motivation to spend time in a dealership over a "noise". If it works, drive it. Seriously. Anything that really needs attention will throw error codes.
Check your tire inflation to make sure one isn't low and causing ABS/TCS to trigger.
I'll never understand the motivation to spend time belittling the thoughts of a forum poster over something he/she feels is important to them.

BTW, brand new cars shouldn't make "noises". I'd also be bringing that thing back until they made it right.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Why would I drive around with any "noise" on a brand new vehicle?

If there's a noise that shouldn't be there, it shouldn't be there and I'm going to have them find out why AND fix it.

Like I did with my transmission.

Anything that needs attention will throw error codes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
J-Roc,

What was the problem with your transmission? I suspect mine could have something to do with the front electric motor engage / disengage function...

"You know what I'm sayin'?" - J-Roc (TPBs)

^Sorry, I couldn't let a TPBs quote go unsaid ><

·
Registered
245 Posts
J-Roc,

What was the problem with your transmission? I suspect mine could have something to do with the front electric motor engage / disengage function...

What is this, a "know what I'm census"? Haha
Nice pick up!

Here's a link to the thread:

New 2016 Toyota RAV4 high pitch noise from 55mph to 45mph.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...m/forums/showthread.php?t=225265&share_type=t

Dealer says its a sound when the gears are "meshing" together....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Your not serious are you? Maybe a 10 yr. an old
piece of crap, not a new car!

·
Registered
124 Posts
J-Roc,

There is no engage/disengage. The hybrid's motors are always engaged and there is no shifting of gears. The gear ratios are "virtual" and are controlled by the motors working with or against each other along with the I.C.E. to provide the appropriate effective gear ratio needed for any particular speed and load.

This clicking sounds like CV joints to me. They are constantly being loaded/unloaded both forward and backwards as the Hybrid Synergy Drive provides both acceleration and deceleration (braking) under most conditions. Since it doesn't do it in neutral, I'd suspect it's related to the torque being applied both forward and backward by the power-train which doesn't happen when in neutral. So this eliminates the hydraulic service brakes entirely.

If I were you I'd have the half-shafts examined for excessive play. Even a brand new car can have a defective part from the factory. But you're gonna have a real hard time convincing Toyota till something fails, comes apart, or leaks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts