Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1997 Rav4 came with the mounting for the rear door storage bags, but not the bags, I want to make up some bags to hold things like jumper cables, first aid kit, tie down straps, and tools, (maybe even move the jack and tire iron there, but probably not). Does anyone know the dimensions of the slot that the top of the bags went through?

I will be making the bags out of heavy duck or similar material, and it will be one piece running the full length of the rail with pockets for the different items, that way I will be less tempted to put everything in there.

Rob in Az

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't have the bags, but would like to see a pic of your mounts. See if I could fab something up for mine. Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try to remember to take pictures and get them up tomorrow.

The label with the weight limit for the bags is torn off on mine, can anybody tell me what that is supposed to be?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Looking at my bags now, the label reads "weight per bag not to exceed 9 LBS/ 4.1 KGS

Took pics of mounting hardware. No ruler handy, so I can't give dimensions.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Misterdee, after seeing what yours look like installed the only question is why aren't these more readily available?

They look good, are very practical, heck add tote straps to the bags and they would make decent shopping bags for a quick run to the store mid week.

I am no longer thinking of making a bag myself, I think I will take it to one of the local upholstery shops and get something professionally made to my specs. The factory ones look too sharp for me to want my limited sewing skills to disgrace the tailgate of my Rav4.

What are some of the other things people mount on their tailgates? Since I have had it drummed into my head for at least 35 years that every car should have a fire extinguisher, flares, first aid kit and jumper cables as a minimum of emergency gear (thanks to parents who even bought the early version of a baby safety seat for their Nash Rambler, a bassinet that went on the floor behind the drivers seat, my dad even upgraded his '61 MGA roadster to 3 point seatbelts during a major refurbishing about 30 years ago) I just now started to think of mounting a fire extinguisher to the tailgate.

Well the tailgate storage plans are on hiatus while I decide exactly what I want. For this weekend I will be working on improving the dome lighting, the replacement LED bulbs arrive today, the 4 LED light strips arrived yesterday. The LED strips will be tied in the the front and rear dome lights (1 pair of the strips to each of the fixtures), and that should get more light than I need to the middle. Last thing I need to get for that project is a good colored translucent heat shrink tubing to protect the LEDs.

Rob in sunny Az (but they are calling for rain this weekend, so I am a very happy desert rat)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Was looking at original window sticker which came with vehicle. Apparently, the bags were part of an optional 'convenience package'. For $296, you received the rear door carry bags, the center console, and carpet floor mats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts