Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am staying home for as long as I can and not using the car. The battery will self discharge eventually. As you know the 12 v battery in the hybrid is pretty small.
Using a trickle charger you can keep this battery charged. However the battery is located in the rear cargo section and it’s difficult to get to. I found an easier solution. Under the hood you can access the fuse box that has the 12 V battery jump starter connection. If you connect a trickle charger here it will keep your battery topped off and it’s really easy to get to.

·
Premium Member
7,695 Posts
There are additional requirements for the HV battery by running the ICE as well.

In addition to the storage tips for our conventionally-powered vehicles, our hybrids require additional steps for each battery, as the hybrid vehicle battery and auxiliary battery will discharge and their condition is liable to decline.
To prevent excessive auxiliary battery drainage, charge the battery at least once every two weeks by powering on the hybrid system for 20 minutes with all non-essential electrical accessories (such as air conditioning and audio equipment) turned off. It is not necessary to drive the vehicle, but do not start the hybrid system in an enclosed area unless the tail pipe is connected to an exhaust hose to prevent harmful buildup of fumes. As an alternative, you may disconnect the negative terminal of the auxiliary battery.
For the hybrid vehicle battery, charge the battery at least once every two months by starting the hybrid system for about 30 minutes*. Check that the "ready" light is on and all lights and electrical accessories are off. As with the auxiliary battery charging, it is not necessary to drive the vehicle, but the steps to prevent exhaust buildup must be taken.
* If the auxiliary battery was disconnected, it will have to be reconnected before the hybrid system is started.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I lived abroad for a year. A friend was supposed to drive my Prius once in a while but hardly ever did. When I got back the 12V battery was dead but the hybrid battery was fine. that was 6 years ago and my hybrid battery is still in good shape. Never the less. Giving both batteries some exercise is a good thing.

As far as the virus is concerned, everybody has to decide for them selves how to deal with it. And each state/city has their own safe distance and lock down rules. My wife and I consider our vehicles to be safe. No one but us gets in them. We go for rides, not getting out of the vehicle to interact with other people. We also go on walks maintaining social distance.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I gave my RAV4 hybrid a spin this morning. I just drove it 13 miles and I was back at home. The brakes were rusty as it has been sitting for 7 days.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
7,695 Posts
Thank you for mentioning that I did not know you needed to run the hybrid at least once every two months for 20 minutes
Actually it says 30 min for charging the HV battery.

"For the hybrid vehicle battery, charge the battery at least once every two months by starting the hybrid system for about 30 minutes*. Check that the "ready" light is on and all lights and electrical accessories are off. As with the auxiliary battery charging, it is not necessary to drive the vehicle, but the steps to prevent exhaust buildup must be taken. "

·
Registered
443 Posts
I run my Hybrids weekly. I alternate between cars. I think Toyota stated someplace that the car does not need to be driven only put into ready for 30 minutes. I think its better to drive if possible so lubricants gets circulated on the drivetrain and tires don't become flat in one spot. Don't forget to run A/C so oil is circulated and heat so heater core coolant gets circulated from time to time.

·
Registered
588 Posts
We have 2 cars, one RAV4H one Bolt EV. We've been driving the EV mainly after purchase (Aug 2019) and exclusively now. The RAV4H gets a 12v recharge on 2A charger on AGM setting once a month. Will drive the RAV4H a little every couple of months to avoid going to the gas station until mid summer or fall.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Do you use a fuel stabilizer with the Rav sitting that long?

We have 2 cars, one RAV4H one Bolt EV. We've been driving the EV mainly after purchase (Aug 2019) and exclusively now. The RAV4H gets a 12v recharge on 2A charger on AGM setting once a month. Will drive the RAV4H a little every couple of months to avoid going to the gas station until mid summer or fall.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Owning a PHEV or BEV at this time is a big plus. Have not heard of muggings at gas stations but increase in likelihood in times of crisis. Would have been great if Toyota introduced the PHEV Summer 2019...

·
Registered
588 Posts
Do you up the octane then to 93 in anticipation of loosing a few points over time?
No, just regular gas. The engine computer compensates. I think the car just burns gas faster or gives you less power - sufficient for my driving esp with hybrid getting help from electric motor.

·
Registered
772 Posts
A bottle of Sta-Bil is what, $7? And it works.

Why wouldn’t you spend $7 to help safeguard your $30,000+ car? ¡Ay caramba! Use your head and common sense!

NO I DO NOT WORK FOR GOLD EAGLE OR SELL THEIR PRODUCT.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts