Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Storage tray lights

128K views 292 replies 85 participants last post by  nesler955 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Has anyone tried to install factory lighting in the storage trays in our Rav's? I mainly want one in the one in the center, but the outer ones would be nice also. I have searched the threads and have not come across any other threads a bout this. Sorry if I missed one, point me in the right direction please and thanks!

#7 ·
Does anyone have a clear picture of how the climate control/center console area is put together? Doesn’t look too touch to remove the section where this bulb would go and replace it. Just would like to know how it’s held in place before I go about prying and such. Thanks!

#10 ·
I may end up being the guinea pig to pry off the center console panels. Not just for the light, but I want to find a place to hide the USB hub and tap into the cigarette lighter socket power. Since there's only one USB tied to the media console, the manual states you can use a hub to access both a phone (for music/navigation) and a flash drive (for music), but nothing else. So, I bought a 4-port hub and a 12v-5v converter, and it works. It just wastes a bunch of space.

Reactions: AdvRav and zdjohn13
#13 ·
I just got one of these lights and installed in less than 10 minutes.
1. Remove the climate control panel with a trim removal tool under the bottom edge of the panel and pry. It comes off fairly easily and it's just a faceplate(think removable faceplate on a car stereo. Disconnect wiring connector and set aside.

2.Now use a trim tool to pry up the panel around the gearshift and mode selector panel and free it. I didn't take the shift knob off or remove the panel. I just moved it around as need to get access.

3.Now it's very simple to pop up the storage area bottom in front of the shifter panel. Again, I did not remove, but if you want to, disconnect the wiring from the outlet and the USB connection. I just moved it around as needed.

4. Next remove the silver trim and side panel by removing the bolt in the below picture and then pull the panel up and back. By moving the other panels you've left connected around a bit you can remove this one altogether.

5. Once this is out of the way, you can easily pull the panel with the seatbelt annunciators out. You'll see a wiring bundle on the R/H side that has multiple connectors running to the annunciator panel. Taped to that bundle you'll see a small white, two contact connector. Pull it loose and connect to your light. Put the light in the hole in the panel so that it fits in and then turn to lock in place.
6. Reinstall everything in reverse order and you'll be good to go. The light seems to be controlled similarly to the footwell lights, it varies in intensity based on whether the car is running and what position the shift lever is in.

#16 ·
Thanks much! Was hoping to not have to take that much apart. Always nervous when one has to start popping off plastic pieces held on with plastic clips. Doesn’t always go well. But surly looking forward to a light down there. Would like to figure out the light for the cup holders next!

#17 ·
Satavtech, since you seem to know a bit more of what you’re doing, do you think it would be possible to retrofit the factory Qi charger into the shelf in front of the passenger? Or maybe flush mount a usb for charging only into the left vertical side of the same shelf? Kinda like it would be hidden? I know it would be the perfect spot for a passenger to charge their phone. I think the Qi charger would be very cool.

#18 ·
Yes, it should be fairly straightforward. The wiring is there for the charger.
The only caveats would be
1. I haven't checked to see if there is power at the connector. The wiring may have been installed, but not hooked to a fuse.
2. I looked into this a few months back and found that the factory charger was over$200! That seemed a little steep, considering my Anker car charger cost about $10.

#21 ·
Thank you Satavtech for the tutorial. I just did this myself, it was pretty straightforward. I added a couple photos, the first is the plug you use which is wrapped with the white tape over to the right. You can also see the top of the whole for the light.
The second photo is of the light installed and the harness plugged into it.
Thanks!
Auto part Vehicle Compact car Car
Electrical wiring Wire Auto part Cable Trunk

#22 ·
Looks pretty simple. Just wish you only had to remove the part where the light actually goes and not all the other parts. Just hate taking apart plastic.
Thank you Satavtech for the tutorial. I just did this myself, it was pretty straightforward. I added a couple photos, the first is the plug you use which is wrapped with the white tape over to the right. You can also see the top of the whole for the light.
The second photo is of the light installed and the harness plugged into it.
Thanks! View attachment 146853 View attachment 146854 View attachment 146853 View attachment 146854

#26 ·
Tried ordering 81080-42040 from BAM but was notified it was on out of stock with no ETA on backorder. Tried ordering from Toyota South to see if I have better luck but I’m sure they source from the same place. Any other part numbers compatible with this one? I’m ordering the footwell lights too and wondering if it’s the same light.

#29 ·
Received my lights from Toyota South. Footwell lights and center tray light look great! Now if we can just find out if there’s a cable for the passenger storage tray, and how difficult it is to access that lol. I wouldn’t mind cutting a little hole in the top of the passenger tray to install a light there but getting behind it might be a beast.

#30 ·
I would love to find out how to remove the passenger side storage tray for two reasons. First to see it a USB port could be added and second I was thinking of adding a wireless charging pad to the tray. I presently have a silicone wireless charging pad laid in there and would like to permanently attach one under the tray.

#33 ·
I would have to look again too tbh. I was looking around in there for a potential cable to add a light. I was using the flashlight on my phone, and I remember at some point seeing the light from my phone shining through the holes of that tray with the liner removed. Can’t remember if my phone was in the tray or pointing up from the footwell lol

I like your idea of running a cord through that hole mentioned. Perhaps instead of cutting into the tray and causing irreversible damage, maybe a slightly thicker liner could be retrofitted in place of the old one. I didn’t think of popping the wireless charger out of its case. might be some way to slide that under the OEM liner, possibly make a new thicker liner and embed the wireless charger in it (to hide the charger better instead of having a slight lump under the OEM liner.

#45 ·
#51 ·
Maybe the light is added only if you have the inductive phone charger pad. I have the pad and the light was stock.